Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Link G4

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-2009, 02:18 AM
NZ951
Race Director

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

You can stop by my place and Ill join you in the Supra or AE86

The Milford Track or Abel Tasman National Park are good places to canoe / walk / hike etc... with some nice roads to get there. There are some good diving spots if you are into it too. Queenstown is popular this time of year with the skiing season.

Well done on the G4 install I like that you can limit rpm if temp etc gets too hot...
Old 05-11-2009, 09:17 AM
MichelleJD
Jane Bond 007
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 28 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by MichelleJD
We installed the new plugs and while thinking through the new coil (99 Subaru Forrester) realized it fired 1&2 when my car needed 1&4. We swapped the 2 & 4 wires and she started up right away!
Originally Posted by m42racer
Yesterday we found I forgot to make mention the Subaru Coil is marked for the Subaru firing order, not the Porsche. My mistake here. A simple plug wire change and the engine fired right up.
Just thinking - another thing that we can do here is leave the plugs wired correctly, but change the firing order in the ECU
Old 05-12-2009, 12:14 AM
Bri Bro
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 333pg333
Brian, NZ is breathtakingly magnificent. Australia is quite different in terms of the landscape but you will find some interesting parts here too. When are you coming down? I'd love to put my car on a boat and go over to NZ for a driving holiday. Empty winding roads (on camber! ) through landscapes out of 'Lord of the Rings', where you come up behind someone and they pull over to let you past! Awesome.
I been in country a few time, I have family in Australia. I have been top to bottom on the East coast, no time on the West coast. Big country, hard to scratch the surface in the few weeks I get during a visit. Do they have a sea going ferry that makes a run between the two countries? I would really love to spend some time in NZ.

Sorry, back on the subject.
Old 05-13-2009, 08:01 AM
Mark944na86
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Michelle,

I find the engine management upgrade interesting, but I'm curious to know what you were specifically looking for in the upgrade compare to to stock engine management? (although I appreciate that you were already running a non-stock set-up before you installed this).

Obviously, this represents significant bucks, so presumably you were looking for a significant bang in return. And it sounds like you're satisfied. But what in particular were you looking to achieve by moving to this set-up?

Sorry if this has already been covered in an earlier thread.

Last edited by Mark944na86; 05-13-2009 at 11:22 AM.
Old 05-13-2009, 09:19 AM
333pg333
Rennlist Member

Received 97 Likes on 80 Posts

Originally Posted by Brian Broderick
I been in country a few time, I have family in Australia. I have been top to bottom on the East coast, no time on the West coast. Big country, hard to scratch the surface in the few weeks I get during a visit. Do they have a sea going ferry that makes a run between the two countries? I would really love to spend some time in NZ.

Sorry, back on the subject.
No Ferry as such but it's a 4 hour flight. It's not just off the coast so too far by local Ferry. Still worth doing for sure.
Next time you're over hear, drop a line. We'll catch up.

Now back to the LINK.

Oh re the LINK I'm going to use traction control, but am not sure how to set it up best. Guess it's a case of experimentation. I would advise people to at least think about doing it when they order an ECU that is supplied with a custom harness.
Old 05-13-2009, 11:49 AM
Duke
Nordschleife Master

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts

The G4 traction control is just for launching, it cannot do regular traction control and as far as I know it's not top priority for the Link development team.
Old 05-13-2009, 01:27 PM
spoolin51
Three Wheelin'

does the g4 have boost by gear?
Old 05-13-2009, 01:33 PM
Duke
Nordschleife Master

Yes
Old 05-13-2009, 03:02 PM
MichelleJD
Jane Bond 007
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by Mark944na86
Michelle,

I find the engine management upgrade interesting, but I'm curious to know what you were specifically looking for in the upgrade compare to to stock engine management? (although I appreciate that you were already running a non-stock set-up before you installed this).

Obviously, this represents significant bucks, so presumably you were looking for a significant bang in return. And it sounds like you're satisfied. But what in particular were you looking to achieve by moving to this set-up?

Sorry if this has already been covered in an earlier thread.
I was just frustrated with all the crap that had to be massaged to get all the peripheral devices to work together. Then, I had to work with a differnst vendor for each device (I'm a little over a year and half waiting for a working Maxtronic). I had a MAF, ARC-II, EBC, chip yada yada - each with a different vendor (the MAF vendor was John Anderson and good luck getting help there). I could never get the devices and people to all work together. Then I blew my turbo and had to get a new one. Time to start all over again with mapping. Now I have one device and one vender (Dave at CEP). If I decide to upgrade to another turbo, different cam, whatever, I can do it all through the Link. It's nice to be able to turn my back on the problem of myriad devices; that's why I'm satisfied
Old 05-13-2009, 04:11 PM
Kool
Part of the IN Crowd
Rennlist Member

Is it running Michelle?
Old 05-13-2009, 05:37 PM
333pg333
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Duke
The G4 traction control is just for launching, it cannot do regular traction control and as far as I know it's not top priority for the Link development team.
That's not my understanding Duke?
Old 05-13-2009, 06:11 PM
Duke
Nordschleife Master

Unfortunatly that's how it is.. let's hope they can release full traction control within this platform in future firmware updates. There's some threads about it on Link's forum (www.linkecu.com)
IMHO it's a bit misleading they call it traction control since it's mearly a sort of launch control.
Old 05-13-2009, 06:55 PM
333pg333
Rennlist Member

Well I wasn't so much speaking about what they say on the site. More, setting it up with sensors to the front and rear wheels and working off that. I have to dig into it a little more.
Old 05-13-2009, 08:50 PM
MichelleJD
Jane Bond 007
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by Kool
Is it running Michelle?
It is!
Old 05-14-2009, 04:40 AM
Duke
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by 333pg333
Well I wasn't so much speaking about what they say on the site. More, setting it up with sensors to the front and rear wheels and working off that. I have to dig into it a little more.
Well if a tech person at Link says it cannot do full traction control and neither the software or wiring diagram support it I would think that is the case

The G4 Traction Control works as a rpm limiter mapped against ground speed (0-60).
To do full traction control it would need to compare wheel speed from a driven and an undriven wheel and then adjust timing on alternating cylinders to try to reach a set slip value (around 10-20%). And that is a different kind of function than the "rpm limiter vs ground speed function".

The G4 does not have wiring inputs for several wheel speed sensors, just a vehicle speed input. I'm sure there is ways of getting more signals into the box but you still don't have the functionality in the software.

A proper stand alone traction control would include different settings to be able to set up a wet/dry switch, variable slip etc.
I like Link a lot, but in that territory I link the DTA systems a lot more...

Quick Reply: Link G4