Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Might have to sell :(

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-2009, 12:25 AM
95ONE
Race Car

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by spoolin51
aint that the truth. Have you seen some of the deals in the housing market?
I've been looking at some really good short sale buys
SHort sales are everywhere. BUY NOW>..... I'm just stuck selling before I can buy... Not going to happen.
Old 04-20-2009, 12:34 AM
CPR
Race Director

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by shaheed
this is what a bunch of people seem to be missing. asking price for 951s often have very little to do with selling price. i'm aware of 951s locally that have been listed for over a year. those that really need to sell end up having to sell for drastically less, the others end up keeping their cars.

I was referring to 2 951's that recently sold here locally for $15,800 (31k miles, all stock, excellent shape, but not mint) and another for $14,000 or they might have settled at $13,500 (76k miles, tastefully modded, average interior, above average exterior). The first one was listed for about 4 months....the second went in 3 weeks. Seems like if you throw a good set of wheels on one it moves FAST.

Perhaps in this area with all the influx of Fed dollars (8 military bases) we are better insulated from a poor economy. Either way, at least locally, the 951 market is doing pretty good. Supply in the area may also have a hand in it (there are practically none).
Old 04-20-2009, 12:43 AM
shaheed
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by CPR
I was referring to 2 951's that recently sold here locally for $15,800 (31k miles, all stock, excellent shape, but not mint) and another for $14,000 or they might have settled at $13,500 (76k miles, tastefully modded, average interior, above average exterior). The first one was listed for about 4 months....the second went in 3 weeks. Seems like if you throw a good set of wheels on one it moves FAST.
31k miles would be exceptionally low miles in my books... not to mention it's real turbo vs a converted S2, still 15.8K is just a little over half of 28K....

one observation that i have made is that first time buyers tend to be more likely to spend a bit more these cars. over the years i've seen tons of posts: "just bought a perfect 951, just one tiny oil leak that the PO said is going to be real cheap to fix". after the first one they realise that there ain't no such thing as a cheap fix....
Old 04-20-2009, 01:04 AM
porshhhh951
Monkeys Removed by Request
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

996's are all over the market for cheep. Generally the past couple of years 993's hold better value than the 996's. Hell I saw a clean white 02' model for 18k myself. I just haven't seen clean white well maintained 94-95 993's for that cheep. Maybe the market has changed in the past 6 months.

As far as my comment to the OP it still stands. I'd love to believe im wrong. I do see 951's sometimes sell for that much but, they are serious turbo's with lots and lots of custom work in them. Lots of time one off cars that would be hard to replicate for double or even tripple the price. So the buyer is still getting a great deal.

Some cars come to mind. Dfastest for one. I'd say that car in todays market is worth 28k(actually more) but, there is 4 times that in it. I think the market will turn. Just not right now. If someone wants to drop 30k on a used Porsche normally 944 doesn't come up on their list.
Old 04-20-2009, 08:14 AM
CPR
Race Director

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by shaheed
31k miles would be exceptionally low miles in my books... not to mention it's real turbo vs a converted S2, still 15.8K is just a little over half of 28K....

one observation that i have made is that first time buyers tend to be more likely to spend a bit more these cars. over the years i've seen tons of posts: "just bought a perfect 951, just one tiny oil leak that the PO said is going to be real cheap to fix". after the first one they realise that there ain't no such thing as a cheap fix....
lol....AMEN!

Originally Posted by porshhhh951
996's are all over the market for cheep. Generally the past couple of years 993's hold better value than the 996's. Hell I saw a clean white 02' model for 18k myself. I just haven't seen clean white well maintained 94-95 993's for that cheep. Maybe the market has changed in the past 6 months.

As far as my comment to the OP it still stands. I'd love to believe im wrong. I do see 951's sometimes sell for that much but, they are serious turbo's with lots and lots of custom work in them. Lots of time one off cars that would be hard to replicate for double or even tripple the price. So the buyer is still getting a great deal.

Some cars come to mind. Dfastest for one. I'd say that car in todays market is worth 28k(actually more) but, there is 4 times that in it. I think the market will turn. Just not right now. If someone wants to drop 30k on a used Porsche normally 944 doesn't come up on their list.

Agreed. 28k-30k and "951" are typically never in the same sentence together....unless you are talking about a repair bill
Old 04-20-2009, 11:23 AM
Rip It
Rennlist Member

That's is price u put on a 951 that you're faking it's for sale.

Quick Reply: Might have to sell :(