Wiring Problem.

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-2009, 10:32 PM
gcb951
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Wiring Problem.

(New Pictures)

Some jackass had a car phone in this before I bought it. That was 5 years ago. I am getting it all back together now and found some really strange wiring.

First strange thing was that 2 white wires were spliced into the coil harness. In the coil harness there is a green wire and a black wire. I assume the green wire goes to the positive while the black goes to negative for grounding. Am I correct in assuming that?

The way I found it connected was opposite that, black to positive and green to negative.

The two white wires both go to the 2 pins on the upper part of the hazard switch. So this pare of white wires jumps from from the coil harness to the the hazard switch. WTF is that ?all about

Next, I have to deal with this phone harness. I found 2 ground spots on the inner foot wells on both sides. But then inside the fuse box and underneath I find where the phone's harness splices in.

In one pic you see a red wire with a white strip splice into 2 green wires with black strips.

In the other pic you see gray wire (that comes from the fender well area) and splices with green wire that has a fuse between itself. Again....wtf?

And where does this pinkish/reddish wire belong. It is steel braid inside, not copper.

Please help a brother out if you have any idea what I need to do to make this right.

***new pic of coil shows the black wire connected to the positive terminal on
***the coil. green wire goes to negative.

***picture of hazard switch was only connected with these 2 white wires
***which were jumped off the 2 coil wires (green/blk).
Attached Images       

Last edited by gcb951; 04-20-2009 at 11:25 AM. Reason: More pictures.
Old 04-18-2009, 11:21 PM
JohnKoaWood
Nordschleife Master

I would recommend getting your hands on the factory service manuals, and checking out the electrical schematics for these areas... Sounds like an amateur cracked into your harness...
Old 04-18-2009, 11:26 PM
gcb951
Burning Brakes

I can't tell you how baffled I am by this. Why on earth would someone run two wires from the coil to power the hazard switch?

Does anyone know of a good wire diagram on the web? I have a CD version of the repair manual and it doesn't give me very good info.

Last edited by gcb951; 04-18-2009 at 11:33 PM. Reason: Question to add.
Old 04-19-2009, 01:10 AM
mikeyoman
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts

http://www.cannell.co.uk/Manuals.htm.
Everything you need here.
not sure why your CD version should be any different to these files though ?
Old 04-20-2009, 11:24 AM
gcb951
Burning Brakes

bump.

check the new pics out.

does the green coil wire go to the positive side? black should go to negative on the coil, right?

Quick Reply: Wiring Problem.