Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

951s LS1?

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-2009, 07:21 PM
TonyG
Rennlist Junkie Forever

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

This weekend is bad because of the holiday.

But... anytime after that (week or weekend).

TonyG
Old 04-09-2009, 09:06 PM
Whisper
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Oooh.

Tony, Spencer, how's next saturday work for you guys?

(Spencer lives three blocks from me, so we can carpool it.)
Old 04-09-2009, 11:35 PM
V2Rocket
Rainman
Rennlist Member

Received 633 Likes on 490 Posts

I think that could be doable.

Devon, YGPM
Old 04-10-2009, 12:55 AM
TonyG
Rennlist Junkie Forever

IT's on!

TonyG
Old 04-10-2009, 02:23 AM
333pg333
Rennlist Member

Received 93 Likes on 76 Posts

Originally Posted by Whisper
If it worked well, why not?

People used to think that about democracy, lightning rods, interracial marriage, vaccinations, atheism, and the internet. Progress marches onwards.

Seriously, at some point, both of these engines were just ingots of metal.

When did one get imbued with some magical quality of Porscheness? What quality is that? Where does it come from? What does it get us?

I like Porsches as much as the next guy, but they are good cars because Porsche made them that way, not because it was Porsche that made them at all.
Ok we can take this as far out as you'd like. I'm up for it. I don't disagree with you even though you're getting a tad esoteric. At what point do you want to get off and re apply for admission to the human race though? Sure, everything came from stardust so nothing matters....

Anyway I get the practicality of the conversion. I get the reliability of a V8. I get the torque aspect even though a large bore i4 can display plenty of that too. Guess I'd just miss the boost in the end. If you want to put a blower onto the V8 you could, but you'd be introducing other issues into the equation.

Be nice to hear all your reports on Tony's car. I'm sure it will be great.
Old 04-10-2009, 03:04 AM
RPHARRIS
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The bottom line is, you can only expect so much from a 2.5l SOHC open deck 4 cylinder. My personal opinion is that it's not the engine that makes the 944 a Porsche, it's the experience you get when you sit behind the wheel and drive it. Anything you can do to augment that experience or make it more like the factory intended it makes it more of a Porsche.

The 944 engine has its pros and cons but there is nothing magical to it. Porsche took an aging v8 out of their parts bin, chopped it in half, and threw it in the 924. A couple years later, they beefed up the internals and threw a turbo on it. They didn't even bother to give us their best (the 16v head). Sure, everything turned out pretty well; the package made great power and did so fairly reliably. However, a v8 swap isn't going to destroy some masterpiece of engineering.

I doubt Porsche dedicated a significant portion of their resources to the 951. The car is "swapped" from the factory! Just look at the intake and exhaust routing on these things, does that look like something that was designed together as a synergistic package? My point is just that re-swapping the car to a v8 is not going to make it any more of a kit car than it already is, so long as you do a good job. I bet there are people out there who could do a better job then those Summer interns at the Porsche did 20-sum years ago
Old 04-10-2009, 03:35 AM
INURGRL951
Three Wheelin'

Location: out in the sticks and flat lands of va wondering around for an open field or pavement!!!

Tony G that sounds like A good idea think you my be convert back ???? if I brought my car along..lol

Tony G tell me one thing I used to live in Santa Maria Ca and I worked in Calabassas CA at California Cars <----- has this company weather thru the bad ecomony over the years I left in dec 99.
Old 04-10-2009, 03:50 AM
TonyG
Rennlist Junkie Forever

Originally Posted by INURGRL951
Tony G that sounds like A good idea think you my be convert back ???? if I brought my car along..lol

Tony G tell me one thing I used to live in Santa Maria Ca and I worked in Calabassas CA at California Cars <----- has this company weather thru the bad ecomony over the years I left in dec 99.
The company is long gone. The place was sold to another dealership. One of the sale reps got hold of the name from the owner and ran a small personal deal which he was trying to get going, but never did (at least that was the case when I talked to him several years ago).

He was still trying to resell overpriced ratty SC's and 3.2 Carrera's.

TonyG
Old 04-10-2009, 07:23 AM
tone3721
Rennlist Member

Received 399 Likes on 287 Posts

3.0 turbo FTW!!! Bring that welfare recipient, pushrod, GM crap. Sure, a NA engine will be more reliable than a 2.5 with silly amounts of boost. My 3.0 dont need silly boost. If you want cheap, dont buy a Porsche!
Old 04-10-2009, 09:42 AM
samluke
Burning Brakes

I'm with tone3721 if you want cheap V8 power just buy one. I gave in once and bought a Mustang GT, which is what my wife wanted (last time she gets to decide).
Never again.

One of the worst 18 months of car ownership I have ever experienced. I was so glad to get back in to Porsches.

i'm gathering parts for a low horsepower 3l 968. I am sure that at 320-340 HP which is only slightly higher HP/liter than a 944 TurboS, it will be highly reliable.
Old 04-10-2009, 11:05 AM
rad_951
Rennlist Member

Based on the torque curves it looks like there is only a 500 rpm (or less) penalty for the inline 4 versus the v8. While the v8 can make more power, the performance envelope is book-ended by the transmission. It seems the advantage of the v8 is reliability, not power or drive-ability (at the track). If I did a swap, it would be for the 40 track days a year, like Tony G.

Tony
86 Turbo Vitesse Stage II, Big Reds,track car
Old 04-10-2009, 11:25 AM
TonyG
Rennlist Junkie Forever

Originally Posted by tone3721
3.0 turbo FTW!!! Bring that welfare recipient, pushrod, GM crap. Sure, a NA engine will be more reliable than a 2.5 with silly amounts of boost. My 3.0 dont need silly boost. If you want cheap, dont buy a Porsche!

Funny

I've thrown enough money at building 951 engines to do many V8 conversions, which by the way.... are far from cheap.

My only mistake was not giving up sooner.

As far as your 3.0 liter goes.... bring it to the track and lets see how long it lasts

TonyG
Old 04-10-2009, 11:40 AM
968ls1
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

A Mustang GT is a POS compaired and LSX 951. I am with Tony, track that 3.0 for 5 years and tell me you only had to change the oil. My first LS1 with cam and heads was out of a totaled Camaro with 30K and I put 25K on it with dozens track days. I sold the engine and it is back in someones Camaro as a daily driver, it was the best HP/$$/performance I have ever experienced.
Old 04-10-2009, 11:41 AM
TonyG
Rennlist Junkie Forever

Originally Posted by rad_951
Based on the torque curves it looks like there is only a 500 rpm (or less) penalty for the inline 4 versus the v8. While the v8 can make more power, the performance envelope is book-ended by the transmission. It seems the advantage of the v8 is reliability, not power or drive-ability (at the track). If I did a swap, it would be for the 40 track days a year, like Tony G.

Tony
86 Turbo Vitesse Stage II, Big Reds,track car

The usable power band is about 1000 rpms greater, which is about 50% wider (I could have started that dyno out even sooner and my TQ would have been at 350 much lower). Plus I redid my intake and reprogrammed my PCM since that dyno and the car is even stronger on the top end (maybe another 10rwhp)

There is far less shifting, no turbo lag, no big hard-to-control rush of power. Just smooth power everywhere.

The slower or tighter the track, the bigger advantage of the V8. The difference becomes huge.

Even on a big fast track, the V8 has the advantage of not having to "time" the lag exiting the turns, and can enter faster as a result. This costs several 1/10ths per lap. Every time you have to lift and reapply throttle the difference affects lap times.

And as far as power goes... putting in a cammed/intake LS7 will get you easy 550RWHP on pump gas, if you need that much power.

Reliability... I don't think I opened my hood the entire last race weekend.

TonyG
Old 04-10-2009, 11:49 AM
DVC
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by samluke
I'm with tone3721 if you want cheap V8 power just buy one. I gave in once and bought a Mustang GT, which is what my wife wanted (last time she gets to decide).
Never again.
You're comparing a Ford Mustang for the wifey, to a 944 LS swap? Your ignorance is staggering. This is an example of why the OP of such threads takes it to PM, and the true gearheads miss out on the valuable exchange of information.

Rogue Ant- You have a killer setup.

Tony- The people that **** on the LS1 swap, are like virgins pontificating on the cons of being with a woman

Quick Reply: 951s LS1?