Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums

Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums (https://rennlist.com/forums/)
-   944 Turbo and Turbo-S Forum (https://rennlist.com/forums/944-turbo-and-turbo-s-forum-72/)
-   -   951s LS1? (https://rennlist.com/forums/944-turbo-and-turbo-s-forum/493083-951s-ls1.html)

aixgelo78 04-04-2009 07:00 PM

951s LS1?

Guys.....

In my "build" I am weighing the pros and cons of modifying the motor or dropping a LSx motor in it. This would be almost no question if the car was a standard 951, but since this is an "s", I am somewhat apprehensive. I am also concerned about the value down the line, but that is neither here nor there i guess....

I am concerned of the issues I will come accross mechanical wise. My goal is about 350-380whp. I really do not want to build my motor, I would like to keep the long block stock. I am worried about head gaskets. reliability of engine electronics. as well as final cost to reach the whp goals.

In the LSx standpoint, it should be a real similar $$$ amount. from what I understand, the balance of the car is not affected. Adds reliability, in the track and everyday driving. tunability....ect..

Please be open minded and I am looking for some solid opinions. I also had a thought of trading my car +/- cash with someone on here to do the LS1 swap on.

chris

Max Energy 04-04-2009 07:36 PM

Chris,
I have a 1989 944 Turbo S and had some of the same concerns. I am planning to go forward with the installation of a LS3 Hot Cam motor.
Max

anders44 04-05-2009 07:42 AM

I think value goes up.

roman944 04-05-2009 08:25 AM

I think so too

if you look at RX-7's - properly done V8's cost as much, or even more, then their highly modified Rotary relatives

so long as its a nice and clean install, you can only expect value to atleast stay the same; as far as maintenance, I'm not sure, but I don't think a stock LSx is going to be less reliable then a modified 951

and then who knows, maybe you willl supercharge that LSx :D

aixgelo78 04-05-2009 01:58 PM

thanks guys...I was actually expecting cons from porsche purists....which I would agree with them, but my headaches would disagree when items fail such as headgaskets and or misc. sensors fail.

so, can anybody chime in who has done it first hand and advise on how their build went....

how much can i sell my 951s motor/turbo for nowadays?

roman944 04-05-2009 02:21 PM

Originally Posted by aixgelo78 (Post 6453788)
thanks guys...I was actually expecting cons from porsche purists....which I would agree with them, but my headaches would disagree when items fail such as headgaskets and or misc. sensors fail.

so, can anybody chime in who has done it first hand and advise on how their build went....

how much can i sell my 951s motor/turbo for nowadays?

I haven't done it, but I would say, first source out all the parts you think you are going to need

then start taking things apart - sell them as you go along, or wait untill you have your LSx in and runing, then sell what you didn't use/don't need on here in classifieds, or ebay, or craiglist, or combination of all 3

Darwantae951 04-05-2009 04:49 PM

If it's done right, you shouldn't see a drop in value. I've considered this since there really is no modification to the car itself.

anders44 04-05-2009 05:25 PM

the stock engine is ****, ls1 is a huge improvement, we haven't 911's guys.. huge room for improvment

INURGRL951 04-06-2009 02:39 AM

To get 350 ish rwhp is simple in a 951. I think the price will plummet if you ask me( also with the help of the ression:D). It's way more work to do a swap then to upgrage have you thought of selling it and just getting a car with a LS engine already in it? Working on the V8 in the 951 will be hard for lack of room . Sorry for my negativity I just think people should mix and very unreliable american V8 for a engine that will hold up better in my book.

Olli Snellman 04-06-2009 03:10 AM

I have a 1989 944 Turbo S and had some of the same concerns
There is not 1989-1991 944 Turbo S model at all. Keep in mind that only 1988 250 hp model can be called as a Turbo S. 1989 might be technically the same as a real thing but 1990-91 models did not have those S-features automatically.
Factory called all 1989-1991 models just 944 Turbo.1989-91 cars does not have any added value, because there was not any other 944 Turbo model (220hp) available.

samluke 04-06-2009 09:14 AM

I agree with inurgrl951, sell the car and buy another. The 88S/89-91 whatever you want to call them are the best of the 944 Turbo's hence worth the most. Leave as is and sell it. If you want a V8 car, I am sure there are some ouit there. You won't be faced with the cost and effort of the conversion, and if you buy right, the v8 car shouldn't depreciate too much.

Burma Shave 04-06-2009 10:28 AM

Originally Posted by INURGRL951 (Post 6455257)
Sorry for my negativity I just think people should mix and very unreliable american V8 for a engine that will hold up better in my book.

You think the lsx is "very unreliable"?

bigdeano 04-06-2009 12:03 PM

Originally Posted by INURGRL951 (Post 6455257)
very unreliable american V8

Who told you that an LSx motor is unreliable?? They're damn near bullet proof as many of the guys on here who have them in their cars im sure can attest to. I know TonyG for one has light heartedly pointed out several times that he doesn't have to worry about oil or coolant leaks when he goes in for tech inspections unlike the racers with with a variant of our motor. The only thing that gets unreliable when you drop an LSx into one of these cars is gonna be the stock tranny and half shafts because of the amount of torque that an LSx is going to put out.

Jeremy Himsel 04-06-2009 12:09 PM

Originally Posted by bigdeano (Post 6455911)
Who told you that an LSx motor is unreliable?? They're damn near bullet proof as many of the guys on here who have them in their cars im sure can attest to. I know TonyG for one has light heartedly pointed out several times that he doesn't have to worry about oil or coolant leaks when he goes in for tech inspections unlike the racers with with a variant of our motor. The only thing that gets unreliable when you drop an LSx into one of these cars is gonna be the stock tranny and half shafts because of the amount of torque that an LSx is going to put out.

Ummm, the LSX is very unreliable. I've got about 55K on mine and I just had to change the serpentine belt. What a POS.

Good thing I'm easy on it.

APKhaos 04-06-2009 12:21 PM

Working on the V8 in the 951 will be hard for lack of room .
This is completely bogus. Good friend of mine did an LS conversion on his 951. When the engine dropped in, it looked like the car was designed to take it. There is MUCH more room to work in the engine bay with the LSx engine than with the 951 engine.

Remember, "V8s are made of torque, Tubos are made of tubing".

BTW, his car has been very reliable.