Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

951s LS1?

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-2009, 10:14 PM
TonyG
Rennlist Junkie Forever

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Jeremy Himsel
Okay...We can do it any one of these dates...

http://www.nasaaz.com/schedule/

While I prefer a 100 degree event day, I say we run in event 5 on Sunday. 6 or 7 will do but FIR is kinda weak IMHO. We can run in HPDE 3 and the last run of the day there are no drills so that'll be the one that counts. It'll also give Tony a chance to find the line. You'll need to be signed off to run group 3 and while I'm sure Tony is okay to run that group, Tone may need to attend an event before that to get signed off to run at that level.

We can do the drag ones any time... http://www.speedworlddragstrip.com/c...date=5/12/2009

I say if we do it it's got to be in one weekend. No oil changes, pampering, tuning, just a complete weekend of run what you brung abuse. Hopefully my welfare motor will hold up. I've got a few extra helmets if Tone needs one. Party at my place afterwards.

I'll check to see if the SCCA or PCA has any DE's coming up as well.
OK. I'm in.

I've got my competition license and I'm sure NASA will be fine.

But let's make sure we run in an open passing run group. I'll start in the back!

As far as drags go... That should be interesting with my 2.75 degrees negative camber rear setup.

And I agree... no maintenance other than topping off fluids or changing tires.

This is at PIR right?

100F? No problem here.... I wear a cool suit :-)

TonyG
Old 04-12-2009, 10:17 PM
Whisper
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by TonyG
Who has the track? (... do we have the track reserved?)

TonyG
July 4th was just a guess. You're the driver for The Mulletmen, so it's your call.

We still need tone3721 to confirm for Team Hitler Mustache.
Old 04-12-2009, 10:18 PM
DVC
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've got a few extra helmets if Tone needs one.
That's ok Jeremy, Tone has his own helmet:

There seems to be some confusion. When Tone indicated duel in the desert, he meant the desert planet of Tatooine:

Old 04-12-2009, 10:29 PM
333pg333
Rennlist Member

Received 96 Likes on 79 Posts

Tone,

If your stock head...stock cam..stock intercooler...stock header....stock intake....55lb injector...stage 3 turbo is capable of 500 RWHP on pump gas.....would you care to enlighten me on how much HP my 3.0L will make? Since I also have a much bigger turbo, lighter internal, 83lb injectors, aftermarket intercooler..intake...cam...header...valve train...fuel system, and the list goes on and on.....I'm guessing that compared to your I should be good for 650 on pump? Oh yeah, nobody built it for me and I even did some of the machine work myself so it may not be reliable.

Tone,
I gotta say I can't see how you can get near 500whp with your build unless you run E85 and 30+ psi?? In fact I'd say you'll have to run at least 35psi. I'm sure someone could do the maths.
I'm not hassling, just saying. I wish you all the best of luck with your build anyway. I've had issues over the last few years and my sentiment would be to just get what you can out of the motor reliably.

Having said that, I don't see why you can't run E85 and wind the boost up for this race. So long as you get the tune right. Not sure on the 55lbs though, even with stock tune. As far as the race goes, I can't see why you can't run whatever fuel you want. The issue is motor against motor. Tony's is what it is. Of course he can easily up the ante, but doesn't sound like he wants to. You should be able to run whatever you can. The question is 3L turbo i4 vs LS1 conversion. No probs as far as I can see.
Old 04-12-2009, 10:35 PM
333pg333
Rennlist Member

I'm using (5) 1/8" steel cables to support the splitter from the bumper behind the bumper cover.

The problem is that you really need a metal support bracket under the splitter because it flexes so much at high speeds. The problem is that the downforce can't be consistent if the shape of the splitter changes (in this case due to flex).

The solution is some sort of formed metal bracket under the splitter that runs the most of the width of the splitter (the extended portion of the spitter). This will allow the splitter to maintain a uniform shape. If you can do that, you can get away with only two support rods.

So some sort of rigid structure to bolt the splitter to (underneath) to, then support from. If you can get that rigid structure in the form of a skid plate... then all the better.

TonyG
Tony, that was my figuring on the cables too. Allow for up and downward movement. The only thing I'd be hesitant over is having an off and doing a little plowing, catching the splitter and pulling those cables out and damaging the bumper, but I guess that's going to happen whatever you have.

I had something like this happen but I split the splitter. My fault. We had it f/g welded. I haven't seen it yet but it should be stronger than it was. I would wonder on how or what you would attach under there to stop the splitter from flexing at all? I'm sure it could be done but at what penalty?
Old 04-12-2009, 10:40 PM
V2Rocket
Rainman
Rennlist Member

Received 646 Likes on 500 Posts

Ok. I'll tell you what.... Here's a Rennlist special challenge

$500 bucks winner take all!

You bring your car to the track. I don't care what 951 engine you run. I'll pay your track fees. Give you a all day day to practice to get to know the track. Then you and I will go at it. Or you can find any driver you want for your car if you're not a comfortable. We'll do 25 laps.

If you win, I pay you $500.

If I win you pay me $500 plus your track fees.

Sound fair?
I would love to see your engine stay together at 500RWHP for 25 laps. Even if it does (which I don't believe it would), you can count on one thing.... it's life expectancy has been cut in 1/2 if not more
boom headshot
Old 04-12-2009, 10:54 PM
TonyG
Rennlist Junkie Forever

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by 333pg333
Tony, that was my figuring on the cables too. Allow for up and downward movement. The only thing I'd be hesitant over is having an off and doing a little plowing, catching the splitter and pulling those cables out and damaging the bumper, but I guess that's going to happen whatever you have.

I had something like this happen but I split the splitter. My fault. We had it f/g welded. I haven't seen it yet but it should be stronger than it was. I would wonder on how or what you would attach under there to stop the splitter from flexing at all? I'm sure it could be done but at what penalty?
My cables are supported by 3/16" stainless "eyes" that thread through the bumper skin into the actual aluminum bumper.

As far as support goes, an aluminum "L" strip, bent to conform to the natural shape of the splitter, bolted on from the bottom. Then the support rods could simply connect through the splitter to the "L" strip to provide the vertical support.

TonyG
Old 04-12-2009, 11:05 PM
333pg333
Rennlist Member

Do you mean the 'L' to be along the bottom and front of the splitter? So a two sided rail on the front and underneath?
Old 04-12-2009, 11:11 PM
spoolin51
Three Wheelin'

Attached Images  
Old 04-12-2009, 11:13 PM
Darwantae951

Received 25 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by spoolin51
Sorry to go off topic, but hey Spoolin, call me!
Old 04-12-2009, 11:16 PM
spoolin51
Three Wheelin'

Will do boss...
Old 04-12-2009, 11:24 PM
Jeremy Himsel
Addict
Rennlist Member

OK. I'm in.

I've got my competition license and I'm sure NASA will be fine.

But let's make sure we run in an open passing run group. I'll start in the back!

As far as drags go... That should be interesting with my 2.75 degrees negative camber rear setup.

And I agree... no maintenance other than topping off fluids or changing tires.

This is at PIR right?

100F? No problem here.... I wear a cool suit :-)

TonyG
Group 3 has no passing restriction provided you use good judgment. I'm not sure if they still do the drills during the morning runs but it's all in good fun anyway right? I won't be wearing a cool suit but am breaking out a pair of my Z Cavaricci's and high-top reebocks to go with my mullett so I'll be pretty cool. I wonder if Member's only makes a gortex jacket nowdays? You go ahead and start in back....I'm starting in the front to be ahead of the impending spin.
Old 04-12-2009, 11:27 PM
Jeremy Himsel
Addict
Rennlist Member

here's the track map....

http://www.na-motorsports.com/Tracks...hoenix-new.gif
Old 04-12-2009, 11:31 PM
CPR
Race Director

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

So can I still get my '77 Pinto with the Yugo .9liter conversion in this thing?
Old 04-12-2009, 11:34 PM
V2Rocket
Rainman
Rennlist Member

Received 646 Likes on 500 Posts

I'll bring my Aerostar with a 4.0L OHV V-6, 165HP and 225FT/LBS, 4-speed autobox, a live axle and a worn out rear suspension and a curb weight of 3800lbs and smoke all you while enjoying my perfectly airconditioned box.

Quick Reply: 951s LS1?