Tial Turbo

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-2009, 06:50 PM
azmi951
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by JET951
hi Sean,
in what way were the runs far from ideal?
The barometric pressure was VERY low, it was over 90 degrees in the shop with a rough tune and the runs were done back to back. My head is also in bad shape since the ceramic is degrading and thus the ports are far from ideal. I'm building a new head now.
Old 04-05-2009, 07:13 PM
ehall
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by ausgeflippt951
He wasn't tuned 100% and to my knowledge his boost was not perfectly constant. Right now he runs ~18psi.

Sean and I were motoring along NE Tucson a few weeks back, and we decided to do some 3rd gear pulls. His spools noticeably sooner than my Vitesse St III, perhaps by a few hundred RPM. Consequently, he pulls on me at first, but I catch up at around 4500 RPM due to the bangin-*** top end that the Vitesse provides.

It sounds like the tial turbo with a bigger turbine housing would make for a ridiculously awesome turbo...
It's a safe bet that Sean would sacrifice some of his early pull if he went to a larger turbine.
So who ended up in front at the end?
Old 04-06-2009, 01:43 AM
azmi951
Drifting

To be fair, we were just messing around. We have yet to do a real "race." Which neither of us are too keen on street racing.
Old 04-06-2009, 02:03 AM
CarbonRevo
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

How bout a 40 to 80 roll? It'll give a good comparison of how the turbos spool up, how the vitesse pulls above 4500rpm, and which one is back on boost faster when shifting into a new gear...all the while not being really dangerous or breaking the law (that much). I'd be interested in this video, but will understand if you still aren't keen on the idea.
Old 04-06-2009, 09:34 AM
evil 944t
Rennlist Member

Seat of the pants feeling is cool but Data logging would be better. The condition of each car plus supporting mods will play a big role in turbo performance. Not to mention our tachs and speedometers are not that accurate.
Old 04-06-2009, 09:56 AM
fast951
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 37 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by CarbonRevo
How bout a 40 to 80 roll? It'll give a good comparison of how the turbos spool up, how the vitesse pulls above 4500rpm, and which one is back on boost faster when shifting into a new gear...all the while not being really dangerous or breaking the law (that much). I'd be interested in this video, but will understand if you still aren't keen on the idea.
Comparing the Stage 3 to Sean's turbo is like comparing apples to oranges. But the results will be interesting. Of course this test is to take place under controlled environment such as a race track!!!

Comparing Sean's turbo to the Stage 2 will be even more interesting... Regardless of the results, each turbo has a purpose and a intended audience.
Old 04-06-2009, 04:26 PM
CarbonRevo
Drifting

Even if its apples to oranges, its still a good excuse to see some footage!

I've been looking at the Stage 3...but really like the idea of the Tial and how quickly it spools (from what others have said). However, I'd like to see a lot more information on it.

Sean- You have a mod list anywhere to see?
Old 04-06-2009, 09:22 PM
ausgeflippt951
Rennlist Member

Sean and my cars are actually surprisingly similar -- at least, at their cores. Supporting and ancillary mods may be differ, but here are the important parts:

My car, I'd estimate to be at ~315rwhp, maybe more. John (Vitesse), any thoughts? Here are the most important modifications:
--Vitesse Stage III running 15psi now with a good tune (at least, at full throttle) -- fast and reliable.
--Ported intake ports w/ a 5-angle valve job (or was it three? pretty sure it's five -- PO had it done not too long ago)
--SFR 3" exhaust with Quiet Flow muffler
--Tial WG

--350# springs, 30mm T-bars, koni yellows

Sean's car:
--Tial setup (with Vitesse MAF and SMT6 and the new thing Vitesse came out with -- can't remember the name!), running 18psi -- ask him about the state of tune
--head w/ ported intake ports, bad exhaust ports.
--SFR 3" exhaust with Bullet muffler (or, whatever the name is)
--Tial WG

--325# springs, 30mm T-bars, koni yellows

I'd wager both cars weigh the same, and that both motors are in similar condition -- quite good. Neither consume much oil.

The problem with 40-80 is that it doesn't make full use of any gear. 40-100 would be better, but like Sean said, neither of us are too keen on street racing...we'll have to find the right area. Should prove pretty interesting, however.

Sean and I have a mutual friend with a 2003 Z06 with headers, B&B exhaust, hi-flow cats, and intake. My car is slower, but not by much. He's got me down low, but the gap lessens at speed.

My car is faster than a C6 non-Z06 (not blisteringly-so, mind), but I'd imagine I'd get handily beat by a C6 Z06.

Both Sean and I are very impressed with the progressive, "nonchalant" nature of the Vitesse setup. The spoolup, while not as quick as the Tial, is completely nonplussed and extremely linear -- very manageable (remember, however, it IS still a turbo). Especially with the terrible state of Sean's rear tires, I am able to get on the gas considerably sooner than he is at the track.

...hope this answers a few questions.

Even if its apples to oranges, its still a good excuse to see some footage!

I've been looking at the Stage 3...but really like the idea of the Tial and how quickly it spools (from what others have said). However, I'd like to see a lot more information on it.

Sean- You have a mod list anywhere to see?
Old 04-06-2009, 11:45 PM
CarbonRevo
Drifting

Awesome post Collin. It answered quite a few questions for me.

When you say the Vitesse is more linear, do you mean the power comes on much smoother where as the Tial is kind of abrupt? I've ridden in a Stage II car and it was a very smooth on-slaught of power. It was hard to tell exactly how quickly we were accelerating unless watching the speedometer (then again, 951's are known for this).

Do you both just have cat-backs? Nothing else like test pipe or down pipe?

The C5 Z06 you guys know seems to have a noticeable bump in power. The early lead isn't surprising. Do you ever catch him and you two are side by side, or even pass him perhaps?

And yea...C6 Z06's are animals. Pure, animals.
Old 04-07-2009, 04:06 PM
azmi951
Drifting

My exhaust is 3" downpipe back from SFR.

Boost controller is Blitz SCB ID and our Tial waste gates are of the 38mm version.

I have some hardening Yokohama Avan Neova tires on the rear and they will spin from 5000+ in 2nd gear with less than 1/4 tank of fuel. They will also spin very easily in 1st.
Old 04-07-2009, 04:09 PM
CarbonRevo
Drifting

Is your car LSD?
Old 04-07-2009, 06:58 PM
porshhhh951
Monkeys Removed by Request
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by azmi951
My exhaust is 3" downpipe back from SFR.

Boost controller is Blitz SCB ID and our Tial waste gates are of the 38mm version.

I have some hardening Yokohama Avan Neova tires on the rear and they will spin from 5000+ in 2nd gear with less than 1/4 tank of fuel. They will also spin very easily in 1st.
Thats interesting. I get really really good tracton especially if the weather is above 50 degrees.
Old 04-07-2009, 07:12 PM
azmi951
Drifting

I have an LSD but they Yokos have lost a bit of grip recently. They have gotten a bit hard and slippery. They are 285/30/18.
Old 04-08-2009, 12:55 AM
CarbonRevo
Drifting

Originally Posted by azmi951
I have an LSD but they Yokos have lost a bit of grip recently. They have gotten a bit hard and slippery. They are 285/30/18.
How well did the car hook up prior to them getting hard and slippery?

I'll hopefully be running 295/30/18's on my turbo come later this year. I had ran my 285/30/18's off my S2 on the turbo and it would hardly spin with them unless the road had a bit of dirt or dust on it. I'm hoping I don't end up with a car that likes to spin through 1st and 2nd!
Old 04-08-2009, 01:21 PM
ausgeflippt951
Rennlist Member

Yes, the power comes on smoother than the Tial (which means I don't see peak boost as soon or suddenly). But, the damn car just pulls and pulls and pulls. The sudden onslaught of power (as is typical for turbos, of course) does not mirror Sean's as exactly, but the Vitesse really shines if you're willing to wring it out...

Re: my buddy's Z06, we weren't gunnin' for very long. To be sure, the gap lessened, but I bowed out before he did -- I wasn't as keen on going quite that quickly on a public expressway (simulated, of course) as he was...It would be cool to take both to the Texas Mile or something!

Both Sean's and my exhaust are catbacks w/ testpipes in place of the cats, but I initially forgot to mention that Sean also has the SFR 3" DP.

Oh and both cars have fully-functional LSD's :P

Awesome post Collin. It answered quite a few questions for me.

When you say the Vitesse is more linear, do you mean the power comes on much smoother where as the Tial is kind of abrupt? I've ridden in a Stage II car and it was a very smooth on-slaught of power. It was hard to tell exactly how quickly we were accelerating unless watching the speedometer (then again, 951's are known for this).

Do you both just have cat-backs? Nothing else like test pipe or down pipe?

The C5 Z06 you guys know seems to have a noticeable bump in power. The early lead isn't surprising. Do you ever catch him and you two are side by side, or even pass him perhaps?

And yea...C6 Z06's are animals. Pure, animals.

Quick Reply: Tial Turbo