Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

MAF KIT what to expect

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-2009, 04:57 PM
RPHARRIS
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

All I can say is that I wish MAF's and their associated hardware / software had been this advanced back when I started tinkering with my car! Great stuff!

John, what kind of engineer are you? Just curious
Old 03-06-2009, 05:09 PM
blown 944
Race Car

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

this thread

Old 03-06-2009, 05:10 PM
Jeremy Himsel
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by RPHARRIS
All I can say is that I wish MAF's and their associated hardware / software had been this advanced back when I started tinkering with my car! Great stuff!

Same here...I'm one of the old ford guys (early 90's) that had to modify the stock pito tube in the MAF to change injectors sizes until they came out with the C&L meters that offered different pito tubes..then came the Pro-M meters that had different calibrations for each injector size...then finally newer software came out that allowed you to reflash the eproms.

As far as the 951 goes I've also been through the evolution of the products with the ARC-2 and ford meter from huntley, APE and pro-M, recent signal converters (mafterburner)...

Things are much easier these days (albeit a bit more expensive but well worth it)........Now we can get 83lb injectors to idle like stock using the stock Motronic boxes. Whoda thunk?
Old 03-06-2009, 05:55 PM
NormD
Instructor

Wow great thread I did not know it would get this detailed.

Norm
Old 03-09-2009, 11:17 AM
fast951
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 37 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by RPHARRIS

John, what kind of engineer are you? Just curious
I started (many years ago) as a Software Engineer, then things went down hill from there . My right hand man is a veteran EE. You can safely say that you get over 45 years of combined engineering experience behind the Vitesse products.
The software, the hardware (chip/board, Wasted Spark system,...) are designed, developed and tested in house.
Old 03-09-2009, 11:47 AM
black944 turbo
Rennlist Member

Received 30 Likes on 20 Posts

I think both vendors have there pluses. I can say that not all expensive chips work with other peoples mafs. Trust me I know from experience and dropped a ton of money on the ordeal.

The maf is a great upgrade and helps tremendously with spool, however it makes the car much more finiky, and I for one went back the afm.
Old 03-09-2009, 03:54 PM
fast951
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by black944 turbo
I think both vendors have there pluses. I can say that not all expensive chips work with other peoples mafs. Trust me I know from experience and dropped a ton of money on the ordeal.

The maf is a great upgrade and helps tremendously with spool, however it makes the car much more finiky, and I for one went back the afm.
There is no reason for the MAF to cause the extra finiky behavior, something is causing it. I do agree with you, mixing and matching components is not the best way of doing things. For the software to operate properly, all of the variables associated with the hardware (MAF, Injectors..) must be known and "accurate". All the various sensors must be operating properly. This is one of the reasons why our software is now provided just with our hardware; customers are happier with the results.
Also to help diagnose issues, soon we will offer the Motronic Diagnostic tool (it has its own thread).
Old 03-09-2009, 04:27 PM
black944 turbo
Rennlist Member

Received 30 Likes on 20 Posts

John, I agree everything has to be working properly. In my case and several others that I know all was and is working properly, however the maf made the car finiky and caused overly rich and holes in the map. This was not caused by a faulty sensor etc.... I think everyone needs to here the pros and cons of a system and I also feel half my problem was that I was mixing to vendors products.
Old 03-09-2009, 04:38 PM
fast951
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by black944 turbo
John, I agree everything has to be working properly. In my case and several others that I know all was and is working properly, however the maf made the car finiky and caused overly rich and holes in the map. This was not caused by a faulty sensor etc.... I think everyone needs to here the pros and cons of a system and I also feel half my problem was that I was mixing to vendors products.
Again, I agree with you. Mixing products from different sources can cause issues..
Old 03-30-2009, 05:57 PM
chitown928s4
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by fast951
Again, I agree with you. Mixing products from different sources can cause issues..
Aint that the truth...
Old 03-30-2009, 06:09 PM
testarossa_td
Race Car

What to expect with a MAF...tons of fun and a learning experience second to none...who you want to take along with you for that learning experience....my choice.

I have an Autothority MAF and Vitesse controls the rest. And have not had problem one. Talk about smooth.

Quick Reply: MAF KIT what to expect