Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

MAF KIT what to expect

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-2009, 09:43 AM
NormD
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default MAF KIT what to expect

I've been slow to mod my my car but I still feel the need for more. What can I expect to gain from this MAF Kit from Lindsey.
http://www.lindseyracing.com/LR/Pors...-951-MAF1.html

I am currently running a Tial 38mm stock turbo... Guru Chips and an adjustable boost controller

Thanks in advance
Old 03-05-2009, 09:57 AM
Zeff
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

for any maf you'd be looking at a much more responsive low end. That was my experience between riding in a maf car and just a chipped car with the same mods.
Old 03-05-2009, 02:05 PM
chitown928s4
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

a big headache
Old 03-05-2009, 02:24 PM
rberry951
Temprarily Banned per IB

Originally Posted by chitown944
a big headache

When ever you try to mix and match components, yes, it can be quite a pain in the neck.

But when you purchase the LR kit with the components that were designed to work together it is a much better experience for all concerned.

Regards,
Russell
Old 03-05-2009, 02:55 PM
Mike Lindsey
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

HP from a MAF alone is minimal. With the same boost, and A/R, don't expect more then about 10-15 RWHP. The larger your other upgrades, in particular the turbo, the larger the gain from the MAF since the AFM has it's flow limitations. You get quickler spool of the turbo, and for those that want to hear their bypass valve, you get that to.

Our MAF kits are jumping to the next level with our Programable 4 hot wire meters. Yes, that's
4 hot wires, not just one. We have been working with and selling them for almost a year, but just now introducing them on the web site. Look for information the next few days. One problem with the current MAF meters is "it is what it is". The calibration is fixed. These meters allow you to make it any calibration you want to get the perfect sized MAF meter for your HP and never have to buy another meter again no matter what you change. Good to 850 HP. This upgrade will only be $110 over our current one wire meters. They work with blow through, or draw through.
Other 1-405-947-0137
Old 03-05-2009, 02:59 PM
VOoDOoGTX
Drifting

can i upgrade my current setup?

russel your in albany right? any chance you can shoot me a PM?
Old 03-05-2009, 03:44 PM
TurboTommy
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Mike Lindsey
Our MAF kits are jumping to the next level with our Programable 4 hot wire meters. Yes, that's
4 hot wires, not just one. We have been working with and selling them for almost a year, but just now introducing them on the web site. Look for information the next few days. One problem with the current MAF meters is "it is what it is". The calibration is fixed. These meters allow you to make it any calibration you want to get the perfect sized MAF meter for your HP and never have to buy another meter again no matter what you change. Good to 850 HP. This upgrade will only be $110 over our current one wire meters. They work with blow through, or draw through.
What's the internal diameter of this MAF?
Old 03-05-2009, 04:15 PM
Mike Lindsey
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

We sell the 4 Wire Meter itself with wiring and it's a direct replacement for our previous meters so all the other plumbing and filter will work.

85mm

Last edited by Mike Lindsey; 03-05-2009 at 05:46 PM.
Old 03-05-2009, 05:17 PM
rberry951
Temprarily Banned per IB

Originally Posted by VOoDOoGTX

russel your in albany right? any chance you can shoot me a PM?
Yes. Sent...

Regards,
Russell
Old 03-05-2009, 05:59 PM
Kool
Part of the IN Crowd
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by chitown944
a big headache
+2 sort of.

The fundamental problem with a MAF on our cars is that the ECU was not designed to work with it. You can get pretty close with the better stuff out there but if you are a stickler for the details you will never be completely happy with a MAF type set up. But at the end of the day the MAF is working via a work around to fool the computer into doing what you want.

That being said the MAF's available for our cars have come a long way thanks to guys like Dave, Tim, Russell and John. And to most people the latest are a more then adequate solution.

So my answer to your question would be a MAF is a good or bad solution depending on how big a stickler for the details you are.

Just my $.02

EDIT:
Another thing. Cost plays a large part. I bought a MAF was disappointed and am now moving up to a stand alone. Which in hindsight I should have done all along.
Old 03-05-2009, 07:27 PM
gordello1
AutoX

If you're planning on installing a MAF kit that takes the approach of using a piggyback to skew the MAF output voltage to resemble the AFM/VAF output signal then expect having to contstantly tweek your A/F ratio if your car is operating in variety of temperatures. These types of MAF kits do nothing to the Motronic code to account for the "air mass" signal it is receiving.

The DME uses the IAT sensor in conjunction with the VOLUME signal the AFM generates to calculate an AIR MASS value which is then divided by RPM to give a LOAD value. So, be mindful of MAF kits that do not go to the lengths of correcting the factory code to where the volume and IAT calculation have been adjusted for a direct MASS AIR input. Without addressing this calculation in the code, you will experience the need to adjust your tune according to different operating temperatures and different boost settings.
Old 03-05-2009, 08:55 PM
awilson40
Three Wheelin'

Going to a Maf will give you that cool spool and blow off sound
At the end of the day I went back to the stock intake and am happy I did.
Unless you plan on upgrading the turbo dont bother.
Old 03-05-2009, 09:00 PM
porshhhh951
Monkeys Removed by Request
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by awilson40
Going to a Maf will give you that cool spool and blow off sound
At the end of the day I went back to the stock intake and am happy I did.
Unless you plan on upgrading the turbo dont bother.
Don't really agree with that. My car ran loads better on 16psi with the maf and tune. No stumbles, made more power, etc. I'd say a maf is a requirement for a larger turbo however if you are looking at getting the most outta any setup you are going to have to ditch the AFM eventually. There is just zero way around that.
Old 03-05-2009, 09:25 PM
Kool
Part of the IN Crowd
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by porshhhh951
Don't really agree with that. My car ran loads better on 16psi with the maf and tune. No stumbles, made more power, etc. I'd say a maf is a requirement for a larger turbo however if you are looking at getting the most outta any setup you are going to have to ditch the AFM eventually. There is just zero way around that.
Agreed. The MAF is the first step. But some will argue that there are other steps that are even more flexible and a better all around solution.
Old 03-05-2009, 10:00 PM
DrZ1
Burning Brakes

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

If you upgrade the turbo to larger then a 27/6 then you definately need to get rid of the MAF. I realized this as when my HG let go, I had a turbo (modified 27/6) ready to go into a track project. I went ahead and installed. I had 12 psi at 3000 rpm, but I had just about maxd the AFM reading the voltage on my PB. I had a tough descion to upgrade to MAF or pull the turbo and put back a true 27/6. My mechanic/friend who saw all the trouble I went through to reposition the AFM, wanted to see it in action. I will say. I can hear my recirculation valve and I do believe it is a good option to eliminate some restriction and get cold air. That being said, it would not cost much more to go w/ a MAF , and it would be a lot easier.
Attached Images  

Quick Reply: MAF KIT what to expect