Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Next Project?...You choose.

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-2009, 12:46 AM
333pg333
Rennlist Member

Received 97 Likes on 80 Posts

You need both the louvres AND a front mounted exit vent ala 968turbo. Also have provisions for hood pins or those more modern fasteners. C/F would be good. If you're going to do it, do it properly.
Old 03-04-2009, 01:07 AM
CPR
Race Director

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by 333pg333
You need both the louvres AND a front mounted exit vent ala 968turbo. Also have provisions for hood pins or those more modern fasteners. C/F would be good. If you're going to do it, do it properly.
PG,

Get me a sketch of what you want vent wise....I'll get it done somehow.

To all regarding the hoods:

- I can do a HIPS or composite hood, but the mold type is different for a part that large...at least to make it perfect, and there is no reason to do it, if it is not perfect. These get VERY, VERY expensive...subsequently the part would be expensive, just an FYI.

- Second, the same generically applies to CF (not the mold, but the process) in regards to the price. That is why most just do fiberglass. It is much cheaper to do and if there is a mistake or imperfection in the casting, it is easily repaired after the fact.

I ran some numbers for the composite or HPS hood and it would require a minimum of 15 orders @ around $950 a piece. A 50% non-refundable deposit would required. Turn around time would be 4 weeks....from design to production. I MIGHT be able to do it in 3 weeks, but that would be really pushing it.

Weight is estimated at 13.3 lbs.....I can make it a bit lighter, but the material cost increase significantly.

Let me know.
Old 03-04-2009, 01:37 AM
TonyG
Rennlist Junkie Forever

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by CPR
PG,

Get me a sketch of what you want vent wise....I'll get it done somehow.

To all regarding the hoods:

- I can do a HIPS or composite hood, but the mold type is different for a part that large...at least to make it perfect, and there is no reason to do it, if it is not perfect. These get VERY, VERY expensive...subsequently the part would be expensive, just an FYI.

- Second, the same generically applies to CF (not the mold, but the process) in regards to the price. That is why most just do fiberglass. It is much cheaper to do and if there is a mistake or imperfection in the casting, it is easily repaired after the fact.

I ran some numbers for the composite or HPS hood and it would require a minimum of 15 orders @ around $950 a piece. A 50% non-refundable deposit would required. Turn around time would be 4 weeks....from design to production. I MIGHT be able to do it in 3 weeks, but that would be really pushing it.

Weight is estimated at 13.3 lbs.....I can make it a bit lighter, but the material cost increase significantly.

Let me know.
There's nothing wrong with fiberglass or a hood. I like fiberglass. It's strong and light, and easily fixable. The key is that it's straight and lines up properly, which means the mold has to be accurate (which seems to be the problem I guess..... ). I don't know anything about making body parts, but the **** that is being produced (and yes... **** is pretty much accurate with respect to the fit and finish) just doesn't cut it. Not even for a race car, let alone a street car.

The fenders and bumper covers aren't so bad. It's really the hoods that are pitiful.

TonyG

Last edited by TonyG; 03-04-2009 at 03:52 AM.
Old 03-04-2009, 01:39 AM
TonyG
Rennlist Junkie Forever

Originally Posted by 333pg333
While I agree, visually a through-the-hood vented intercooler won't look like it belongs there on a 944 like it does on a 968. The front end shape and angles are just so different.

Just my .02 (since I don't even have an intercooler.... mu ha ha).

TonyG
Old 03-04-2009, 03:20 AM
ShApE
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

make me that rear diffuser pleeeaaaaassseee.
Attached Images  
Old 03-04-2009, 03:22 AM
TonyG
Rennlist Junkie Forever

Originally Posted by ShApE
make me that rear diffuser pleeeaaaaassseee.

Do you really need more rear traction?

TonyG
Old 03-04-2009, 03:23 AM
ShApE
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by TonyG
Do you really need more rear traction?

TonyG
always!
Old 03-04-2009, 03:26 AM
TonyG
Rennlist Junkie Forever

always!
Your car oversteers?

What size tires do you run?

Not that what you want is wrong, it's just that these cars, when properly setup, need a lot more front traction. This is why I, and a lot of other track ******, run a 275 or larger on the front.

TonyG
Old 03-04-2009, 03:33 AM
ShApE
Burning Brakes

Your car oversteers?

What size tires do you run?

TonyG
I want it because I have a feeling that the stock rear diffuser doesn't do such a good job at creating a low pressure zone underneath the rear of the car, I would like my car to feel like it is suctioned to the road at high speeds and right now the rear feels a little "floaty" at any speeds above 100mph.
Old 03-04-2009, 03:34 AM
ehall
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I agree with Tony G. vis a vis hoods. CF, or anything else, of that cost, won't sell well enough to get off the ground, simply due to price point. FG is cheap, and allows for many future copies, at little cost, such that replacements could be readily available, in terms of price point.
The only reason these don't sell well, is due to Tony's statement. They all fit like ****.
As long as fitment is the primary concern, along with the venting, this part will sell.

PPG, you'll be surprised just how effective a hood, with proper louvers, will pull hot air.
On your track days, it will be noticeable.
Old 03-04-2009, 03:40 AM
TonyG
Rennlist Junkie Forever

I want it because I have a feeling that the stock rear diffuser doesn't do such a good job at creating a low pressure zone underneath the rear of the car, I would like my car to feel like it is suctioned to the road at high speeds and right now the rear feels a little "floaty" at any speeds above 100mph.

You have other issues.

Check the alignment and the bushings.

TonyG
Old 03-04-2009, 03:46 AM
ShApE
Burning Brakes

You have other issues.

Check the alignment and the bushings.

TonyG
and it looks cool lol. I need to redo all of my bushings soon. Oh well back on subject.
Old 03-04-2009, 03:56 AM
TonyG
Rennlist Junkie Forever

and it looks cool lol. I need to redo all of my bushings soon. Oh well back on subject.
It definitely looks cool, and probably works. But these cars with out it, properly setup, don't feel "floaty", and will push in a turn if setup right and driven fast on a track.

Ultimately, they need more front tire.

TonyG
Old 03-04-2009, 04:04 AM
333pg333
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by ehall
I agree with Tony G. vis a vis hoods. CF, or anything else, of that cost, won't sell well enough to get off the ground, simply due to price point. FG is cheap, and allows for many future copies, at little cost, such that replacements could be readily available, in terms of price point.
The only reason these don't sell well, is due to Tony's statement. They all fit like ****.
As long as fitment is the primary concern, along with the venting, this part will sell.

PPG, you'll be surprised just how effective a hood, with proper louvers, will pull hot air.
On your track days, it will be noticeable.
Yup, I agree Mr E that it doesn't have to be c/f, it's just nicer. F/G is a more applicable material for 99% of people but include me +1000000 on fit and finish. If you look at other makes of cars and what is available we are embarrassed by the lack of options we have. Of course it's supply and demand...but still, there should be enough of us to get something going, Si?

While visually I'm not so in love with the louvres, I do agree that they will provide not only some hot air extraction, but also as TG pointed out earlier, it will help a lot in reducing underhood pressure. This is a consideration with a light hood. We will also have to get some locking pins or those nicer AeroCatch flushline versions. Me likey them. Just a matter of finding a suitable area to mount the locking pins. Check 'em out. Neat huh?
http://tinyurl.com/b6vyhx

As far as the front vent I want a nicer version of what is on the hot 924 turbo here. The ducting is optional and something I would look at doing afterwards. For the benefit of high flow through in a low pressure area I can't go past this. For the guys with big front mounts especially. Having the ducting concentrates the flow but also eliminates rain from getting in underhood as much. It would of course be much more presentable and also should incorporate a small lip around the front and sides which further increases efficiency.
Attached Images     
Old 03-04-2009, 04:08 AM
333pg333
Rennlist Member

What's the rest of your setup? Wheels, tires, suspension, bushings etc...
I'm betting this could be improved too, yes?
The diffuser on our cars is meant to be quite efficient for what it is. To do a proper one on our cars means more than just bolting on a bit of plastic as you can imagine. I agree that a complete package would be nice too though.

Quick Reply: Next Project?...You choose.