Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Winter project under way. Updated 01/07

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-2012, 10:46 AM
95ONE
Race Car

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

CAR 54! LOL. I don't think many under 35yrs old are going to get that reference

The Porsche Club is primarily where that happens. More political it seems, and geared towards stopping the problems you are having. I think it is a case of Damned if you do, damned if you don't sort of thing. Overall, I've met great people at all the events. I just had to bitch a little when I thought of starting over again.. I said it, and now I'm over it.

There is a private track that has just regular old track days during the week. No run group. It's a "club" sort of thing. You have to pay some hefty dues to be a member. But if you know a member and are a guest, the guest fee is not too bad for a days driving without any run groups or sessions. Its all day, whenever you want. Perfect for test and tune. I didn't know much about this option with that track 3 yrs ago. I knew of the track and it's events. Just not the Guest option. I think that's where I'll be spending most of the start up and tuning time. Now to get back in touch with the guy that had me (Autologic) update his car for that track.....Founding member of the track, and overall great guy....Toyota Supra though.
Old 08-31-2012, 03:24 PM
95ONE
Race Car

Im back looking at it today. Taking Sid's support into mind, the line can really come together better with more accents. He's right, and I needed to hear it. It will STILL have a State trooper look, but with all the vinyl I'm going to throw at it, it should be camouflaged fairly well. Here are some better angles. - Without the ugly white door dot in the pic.

Old 08-31-2012, 04:19 PM
EliteThink
Pro

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

You're doing a great job. keep it up.
Old 08-31-2012, 04:55 PM
ehall
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Once you put a bunch of kick *** vynil on her, you'll be thrilled. Stay the course. Head up!
Old 08-31-2012, 04:57 PM
shortyboy
Rennlist Member

Received 33 Likes on 25 Posts

looks like the monster JGTC 968!BADASS!
Old 08-31-2012, 04:57 PM
95ONE
Race Car

Originally Posted by EliteThink
You're doing a great job. keep it up.
Originally Posted by ehall
Once you put a bunch of kick *** vynil on her, you'll be thrilled. Stay the course. Head up!
This does help guys. Thank you.

Originally Posted by shortyboy
looks like the monster JGTC 968!BADASS!
I just went to look at it on the internet. That thing is just so extreme. This isn't quite that level of racecar, but I use design cues from stuff like that to put into this one.

I'm picking and choosing the best angles of the car right now. I just got it out in the sun. That color is CRAZY. It's absolutely black in the shadows, a nice candy thick metallic gray in medium sunlight, and almost straight up chrome in bright light. A bit flashier than I expected. I'm looking at the first few pics and they look a little overexposed. It's exaggerated, but still goes kinda crazy chrome looking much like that. The sun was out strong at that point, varying level of clouds on the others. My phone camera was on outside light setting and HDR. Whatever that means. The last pic shows more of a police car theme.

I think I should have made the whole roof Silver instead of part white and part silver. Less angle of the silver going into the hood, and a bigger fade between the two, which would have been a ridiculous amount of work, So Just not ever going to happen with the bigger fade. I put the wing on a box and looked. It really helps the lines of the car. So there might be hope with rims, tires, red slashes and such. here are a few more pics of the car in the sun in its different "personalities" based on varying degrees of sunlight. A few more body line pics too. Only the best pics though.. There are some bad angles. And final sanding and buffing hasn't happened yet, so there are still some clearcoat lines and sanding marks.

Last edited by 95ONE; 09-01-2012 at 02:18 PM.
Old 08-31-2012, 05:11 PM
disasterman
Three Wheelin'

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I love that front end. I would love to acquire something like that.
Old 08-31-2012, 05:44 PM
95ONE
Race Car

Originally Posted by disasterman
I love that front end. I would love to acquire something like that.
I was so elated to buy it. I couldn't believe I had it when it arrived. Shipping alone was close to $1K to get it here, but I didn't care. A friend of mine just told me a little history about it that I didn't know. He said there was a red and yellow one. There was yellow paint under the red paint the most recent owner had, so I'm pretty sure he was right.

This piece had to go through quite a bit of love and attention to get the the level its in now. Everything was broken and cracked on the bumper. Much hardware was missing on everything and the hood is barely use able even right now. But the fender/top clamshell was in damn good shape. The tube frame part wasn't terribly hard to match to my frame. I just went overboard on the measuring and squaring of all the parts. It paid off big though.

The toughest part about this install was the fact that the WHOLE damn thing is just about 3/4" angled to one side. The Bars and frame for the bumper was straight, but the fiberglass bumper and pieces were cut at an angle and installed that way. blew my mind for months on why I couldn't get the wheel wells right until I measure about a thousand times and finally got what was wrong and where it was angled wrong in my head. once I could reverse engineer that, the spacing and alignment were much easier to work with.

I wish I could have made more molds of her. But that would have taken an enormous amount of time and effort. Hopefully she doesn't get destroyed before I decide It's time to do all that.
Old 08-31-2012, 05:53 PM
333pg333
Rennlist Member

Received 93 Likes on 76 Posts

Originally Posted by 95ONE
CAR 54! LOL. I don't think many under 35yrs old are going to get that reference

The Porsche Club is primarily where that happens. More political it seems, and geared towards stopping the problems you are having. I think it is a case of Damned if you do, damned if you don't sort of thing. Overall, I've met great people at all the events. I just had to bitch a little when I thought of starting over again.. I said it, and now I'm over it.

There is a private track that has just regular old track days during the week. No run group. It's a "club" sort of thing. You have to pay some hefty dues to be a member. But if you know a member and are a guest, the guest fee is not too bad for a days driving without any run groups or sessions. Its all day, whenever you want. Perfect for test and tune. I didn't know much about this option with that track 3 yrs ago. I knew of the track and it's events. Just not the Guest option. I think that's where I'll be spending most of the start up and tuning time. Now to get back in touch with the guy that had me (Autologic) update his car for that track.....Founding member of the track, and overall great guy....Toyota Supra though.
Ha, I was thinking more over 45's!

That Guest setup sounds perfect Bruce. So long as they're geared for race cars and not just rich guys in their latest Ferrambouraudis taking up space. Probably need those guys to keep on propping up days like that though.

Car looks fantastic!! Love the colour change in different light. Definitely has an aquatic theme going on. I was wondering what full red wheels might look like? I can see the wing really setting it off too. Soon time to start the fiddly wiring and bolting up some hardware!

ps...sent you an email.
Old 08-31-2012, 06:51 PM
dillon410021
Race Car

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

looks badass. love the paint lines that follow the hips
Old 08-31-2012, 07:26 PM
V2Rocket
Rainman
Rennlist Member

Received 633 Likes on 490 Posts

could be a real-life ORCA
Old 08-31-2012, 07:28 PM
blown 944
Race Car

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I'm thinking you should do a little fade between the grey and white of the super dark brgsndu/red into a burnt orange and then do your other stuff in corresponding vinyl coloring. The orange would lend itself to many other colors ei: yellow/purple so you'd have quite a few options
Old 09-01-2012, 01:06 AM
95ONE
Race Car

Originally Posted by 333pg333
Definitely has an aquatic theme going on.
Originally Posted by V2Rocket_aka944
could be a real-life ORCA
Yeah, Orca's been taken. Still like Jawz, not too happy about catfish.

Originally Posted by dillon410021
looks badass. love the paint lines that follow the hips
I'm on the fence about those lines. I'm not sure if I shoulda taken the obvious higher line where the wide part starts to angle away from the vertical.

Originally Posted by blown 944
I'm thinking you should do a little fade between the grey and white of the super dark brgsndu/red into a burnt orange and then do your other stuff in corresponding vinyl coloring. The orange would lend itself to many other colors ei: yellow/purple so you'd have quite a few options
I'm probably just going to stick with red and hope to god that does the trick. If not, I'll just go race and forget about it. I'm kinda worn out on it right now. been fighting with it for a week. I just need to step away for a bit.
installing the wheels and Rear Wing will make a difference in the look too.
Old 09-01-2012, 10:29 AM
ausgeflippt951
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Love it!! I don't think it looks like a popo car at all.

Also, showed it to the girlie and she says "that thing is badass"
Old 09-01-2012, 12:27 PM
chrenan
Three Wheelin'

Received 29 Likes on 22 Posts

Doesn't look like a Police car at all to me. Reminds me a bit of a Manta Ray?

Quick Reply: Winter project under way. Updated 01/07