Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

E-85 MEGA THREAD

Search this Thread

Old 11-12-2008, 08:05 PM
pjburges
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Id like to swap my N/A over to E85. It's a 1987. Im thinking at the very least the fuel will be cheaper, and at best maybe I could somehow push the timing foward and gain 5-10 hp?

Seems richening the map could be as simple as getting a fuel pressure regulator and upping the pressure...the DME also allows small adjustments in pulse width of the injectors...

But how would I go about modifying my timing, and watching knock? The N/A doesnt have that nifty KLR brain like the turbo does....(hope I have that acronym correct). Would I just end up having to go to standalone engine management?
Old 11-12-2008, 08:15 PM
Matt Sheppard
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I am about a month away from my Tec II install to be complete and then I'm great guns to start doing E85. The problem at this point is that the closest station is 100 miles away in Concord, CA. I'm looking into 55 gal drums but sure would be better if we had a station north of the golden gate bridge.

I just dont get it: all these eco-groovy tree huggers around here and no one wants a biofuel distributor in their neighborhood? Go figure.
Old 11-12-2008, 09:20 PM
blown 944
Race Car

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I have already helped others change over NA's 2 of them are supercharged. For NA app. upping the FP will be fine. You certainly won't have to worry about too much timing. To gain any HP though you will need a way to advance the timing. The FQS gives a slight amount of extra fuel and if you want to go cheap you can up the FP by crushing the FPR slightly. You should have at least an AF gauge and a FP gauge.
Originally Posted by pjburges
Id like to swap my N/A over to E85. It's a 1987. Im thinking at the very least the fuel will be cheaper, and at best maybe I could somehow push the timing foward and gain 5-10 hp?

Seems richening the map could be as simple as getting a fuel pressure regulator and upping the pressure...the DME also allows small adjustments in pulse width of the injectors...

But how would I go about modifying my timing, and watching knock? The N/A doesnt have that nifty KLR brain like the turbo does....(hope I have that acronym correct). Would I just end up having to go to standalone engine management?
Old 11-12-2008, 09:22 PM
blown 944
Race Car

Originally Posted by Matt Sheppard
I am about a month away from my Tec II install to be complete and then I'm great guns to start doing E85. The problem at this point is that the closest station is 100 miles away in Concord, CA. I'm looking into 55 gal drums but sure would be better if we had a station north of the golden gate bridge.

I just dont get it: all these eco-groovy tree huggers around here and no one wants a biofuel distributor in their neighborhood?
Go figure.

Same thing in Bouder, this is probably one of the most Eco friendly cities in America but no station carry E85. Although there is a station in a surrounding town 6 miles out so......

Funny though BioDiesel is big here
Old 11-13-2008, 09:56 AM
porshhhh951
Monkeys Removed by Request
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by Matt Sheppard
I'm looking into 55 gal drums but sure would be better if we had a station north of the golden gate bridge.
I'd be all ears on how to get that going. I've been thinking the same thing. The neaest station to me is in albany and thats just too far. Unless im going to the track or to the dyno there would be no need.

I'm trying to figure out how to buy a drum and just refil it on my own.
Old 11-13-2008, 10:04 AM
CPR
Race Director

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by porshhhh951
I'd be all ears on how to get that going. I've been thinking the same thing. The neaest station to me is in albany and thats just too far. Unless im going to the track or to the dyno there would be no need.

I'm trying to figure out how to buy a drum and just refil it on my own.
We have tanks at the shop for our vehicles (diesel & 91o) that the locals come and fill up. The price per gallon, including delivery is still cheaper than at a station....

Soooo, I can't see why they wouldn't do an E-85 tank....even a smaller 100g one. You might try and call them, nothing like getting it delivered
Old 11-13-2008, 10:08 AM
porshhhh951
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by CPR
We have tanks at the shop for our vehicles (diesel & 91o) that the locals come and fill up. The price per gallon, including delivery is still cheaper than at a station....

Soooo, I can't see why they wouldn't do an E-85 tank....even a smaller 100g one. You might try and call them, nothing like getting it delivered
no #$%. Okay im going to call today. I doubt it would be very cheep to deliver from albany but, maybe I can find someone local thats a distributor or something.

If anyone is in my area and knows someone pm me. I was looking for a 100 gallon drum.
Old 11-13-2008, 10:15 AM
CPR
Race Director

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by porshhhh951
no #$%. Okay im going to call today. I doubt it would be very cheep to deliver from albany but, maybe I can find someone local thats a distributor or something.

If anyone is in my area and knows someone pm me. I was looking for a 100 gallon drum.
John,
Most wholesalers will offer a one-time tank fee (around $1 per gallon size of your tank) and make you sign a 2 year lease agreement. You still only buy what/how much you want, it just says that you can't fill their tank with someone elses product.

Also for an additional $28.75 (here at least) each tank comes pre-installed with a 12v pump motor/6' hose/and gun, nozzle.
Old 11-13-2008, 10:47 PM
david fracolli
Three Wheelin'

Thats sound interesting as I would really like to run E85 but I cannot justify driving 170 miles one way to buy the stuff.
Old 11-14-2008, 08:13 AM
333pg333
Rennlist Member

Received 93 Likes on 76 Posts

Originally Posted by Lorax
I have been ready to run e-85 for a year, unfortunately I had so many problems with the car I haven't been able to. I already have 20 gals of it in my garage waiting for me to finish working on the car...
I wouldn't have thought it's best to use stored E85? It's very hygroscopic no?
Old 11-14-2008, 08:17 AM
gt37vgt
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

as i keep saying fully integrated fully mapped water injection
Old 11-14-2008, 01:12 PM
porshhhh951
Lifetime Rennlist

Check this out guys..

http://www.rockettbrand.com/index.html
Old 11-14-2008, 01:27 PM
blown 944
Race Car

nice marketing,

I would be curious what the same vehicle would have done on a decent "pump" E85. Not much different I would suspect.

Or 85% ethanol mixed with 15% c16. I suspect that is what it is based on the specifics given in the formulation.

Taking advantage of the mass ignorance IMO.
Old 11-14-2008, 01:36 PM
blown 944
Race Car

As far as storing

I had no problems storing in 250 gallon plastic totes. Never tried barrels but I wouldn't recommend it.

You can also get ahold of chemical processing companies. ie: safety clean and others. They have nice little 15 and 30 gallon plastic containers. Just buddy up to a driver and he will probably hook you up.

Printing companies utilize them regularly so maybe you can get info through them locally.
Old 11-15-2008, 12:43 AM
manu4jc
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

E85 station is 6 miles from my home... tempted to use it on my 951. any reasons not to? Harmful to the engine life etc? Also have we decided on the best E85 conversion parts list and procedure yet or is that still in the making?

Quick Reply: E-85 MEGA THREAD