My Upgrade Plan, thoughts?

Search this Thread

Old 11-02-2008, 07:55 AM
porshhhh951
Monkeys Removed by Request
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 333pg333
Not at the moment John, otherwise I would have left that 996tt in my dust. I've got a refreshed totally stock 2.5L motor with the VR5 kit. I'm playing with a bit of E85 at the moment and using the SMT6 to get the afrs right. With the V-flex kit you'll be fine for 18psi easy IMHO.
18psi on pump fuel or e85.? On E85 I was hoping for 20+psi or so.
Old 11-02-2008, 09:53 AM
TurboTommy
Rennlist Member

porshhhh951;
with e85 you can easily run in the low 20's psi boost assuming good air/fuel across the RPM range. It doesn't even have to be super rich (.8 lamda).

To the orginal poster;
one mod I would do (or undo) is do away with drawing intake air from under the hood (I think I noticed your air filter in the one pic). You're starting off with a significant minus on your way to making max power.
Old 11-02-2008, 03:47 PM
amirpc
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by TurboTommy
one mod I would do (or undo) is do away with drawing intake air from under the hood (I think I noticed your air filter in the one pic). You're starting off with a significant minus on your way to making max power.
Seems like everything I'm reading regarding the intake gives me a lot of conflicting information, people arguing for one thing or another. I'm not sure on what to do with this.
Old 11-02-2008, 04:41 PM
333pg333
Rennlist Member

Received 97 Likes on 80 Posts

Originally Posted by porshhhh951
18psi on pump fuel or e85.? On E85 I was hoping for 20+psi or so.
Just look at what psi Sid runs around on day to day over 2 years. You can run into the 20's easily, but it will wear on your motor faster than not doing this. Myself, I'll go for the instant gratification of 20+
Old 11-02-2008, 06:04 PM
spoolin51
Three Wheelin'

Amir: You definately need to get rid of that hot air intake. That thing is right in front of your motor and behind your radiator. OEM is much better setup. Find yourself a used snorkel box and you you'll see the improvement.
Old 11-02-2008, 07:15 PM
porshhhh951
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by TurboTommy
porshhhh951;
with e85 you can easily run in the low 20's psi boost assuming good air/fuel across the RPM range. It doesn't even have to be super rich (.8 lamda).

To the orginal poster;
Just look at what psi Sid runs around on day to day over 2 years. You can run into the 20's easily, but it will wear on your motor faster than not doing this. Myself, I'll go for the instant gratification of 20+
I have two different problems. My concern with pump gas is knock. How much boost can I run on 93 octane without hurting the motor?

The problem with E-85 isn't knock. Its fuel. Do I have enough to support 20+psi on e-85. I only have 83lb injectors.
Old 11-02-2008, 10:34 PM
333pg333
Rennlist Member

I've got the same inj as you and I was discussing this with Sid and he felt that on 100% E85 you should be able to hit approx 22psi safely. However I would refer to John @ Vitesse for his recommendations.
Having said all this, I am thinking seriously about installing a knock detector anyway. E85 can also have varying Octane ratings between batches. I'm pretty sure John had some of these available at some stage or was thinking of offering something. I believe that now we are playing with different fuel types (and perhaps mixtures) we need to have some more monitoring or protection available.
This would also help determining what boost you can run on your pump as well John.
Old 11-02-2008, 10:46 PM
porshhhh951
Lifetime Rennlist

I've got the same inj as you and I was discussing this with Sid and he felt that on 100% E85 you should be able to hit approx 22psi safely. However I would refer to John @ Vitesse for his recommendations.
Having said all this, I am thinking seriously about installing a knock detector anyway. E85 can also have varying Octane ratings between batches. I'm pretty sure John had some of these available at some stage or was thinking of offering something. I believe that now we are playing with different fuel types (and perhaps mixtures) we need to have some more monitoring or protection available.
This would also help determining what boost you can run on your pump as well John.
I agree. Having a knock sensor is a much needed addition for protection. Well if sid thinks 83lb are good for 22psi thats ALL I would ever need. So thats nice to hear.

I've been doing as much research as I can to prepare myself for the e85. Gabe is going to put the map on a toggle switch for me(hard wire FQS images for pump and e85. So all I have to do is literally pull up to the pump and flick a switch. I just wanna know how much I can turn the wick up.

22psi is more than enough for me and a street car. I bet with my setup thats easily 410-420whp.
Old 11-03-2008, 04:03 AM
333pg333
Rennlist Member

Yeah I would think you'd be somewhere up around 400whp but only time / dynos will tell. That would indeed be one quick puppy!
The only thing that concerns me with the switch is mounting location and remembering to flick it!
Don't want it to be flicked accidentally either. Almost need one under the fuel flap thingy. So that you flick it when you're actually filling up on whatever the juice is and it can't be inadvertently flicked in the cabin by someone?? Having said that, if you installed a knockblock it could be a very good safety net.
Old 11-03-2008, 04:15 AM
porshhhh951
Lifetime Rennlist

Yeah I would think you'd be somewhere up around 400whp but only time / dynos will tell. That would indeed be one quick puppy!
The only thing that concerns me with the switch is mounting location and remembering to flick it!
Don't want it to be flicked accidentally either. Almost need one under the fuel flap thingy. So that you flick it when you're actually filling up on whatever the juice is and it can't be inadvertently flicked in the cabin by someone?? Having said that, if you installed a knockblock it could be a very good safety net.
Its in the center console and is a factory porsche switch just like all the others. He just punched out on off the sections not being used and wired up one. Like it was always there and yes need to be careful for sure. I'll make sure I label it

dyno will come. It'll be one of the first things I do.
Old 11-03-2008, 04:21 AM
Lorax
The Impaler
Rennlist Member

you can easily sit down and calculate how much fuel you will need for 400rwhp using e-85

I would think 83# would be withing a healthy range of duty at that level but im totaly pulling that out of my ***.
Old 11-03-2008, 01:53 PM
spoolin51
Three Wheelin'

Originally posted by porshhhh591:
Its in the center console and is a factory porsche switch just like all the others. He just punched out on off the sections not being used and wired up one. Like it was always there and yes need to be careful for sure. I'll make sure I label it
John,
Pics please
Old 11-03-2008, 02:15 PM
blown 944
Race Car

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

John,

like I have said before 22 psi would be where I would feel safe for your setup If the WOT map is setup to run the injectors at ~80%.

With that said, myself I am a big fan of the adjustable FPR. You an get a bit more out of the injectors running them higher pressure. I guess I wouldn't say that for a track car but for street. I have personally ran my car at over 100 psi (not that I recommend it, just have done it) this is running 80 static + boost pressure rise.

However, I have found it much easier to change the jet in my enrichment so I don't do that anymore.

Now I will say thought that I still use FPR to get good fuel mileage when I want to. I just turn it down to ~30-35 psi and not run high boost. It generally nets me ~420 per tank.

What someone should take from this is the latitude the fuel provides for daily driving ie: w/o changing anything I can drive just as easily @ 30-35psi fp OR 80psi fp. There is noway that can be done on pump or race fuel. That is why I like the Adjustable FPR for E85.
Old 11-03-2008, 02:24 PM
spoolin51
Three Wheelin'

Sid what adj FPR are you running?
Old 11-03-2008, 02:44 PM
blown 944
Race Car

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

looks like an old huntley unit (not sure though it came with the car) I do know it is a 1:1 Rising rate. Checked it with a tire pump . Yep... Im' such a simpleton

Quick Reply: My Upgrade Plan, thoughts?