Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

My Upgrade Plan, thoughts?

Search this Thread

Old 10-16-2008, 11:00 PM
Techno Duck
Nordschleife Master

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

Dont bother with narrow band.. just save the money and get a wideband setup.

I have a somewhat similar setup.. MAF, 72# injectors, 3'' exhaust, LR head, Tial wastegate...etc and still running the stock K26/6 .. car put down 260whp @ 14psi. I chose to go with the 72# injectors because i wanted the growth ability. With the MAF tuned for 72#'ers i really wont need to retune the car much for when i swap the turbo out. I am putting in a 60-1 HiFi this winter.. so the 72#'ers will goto good use (though still not near maxing out).
Old 10-16-2008, 11:04 PM
amirpc
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Techno Duck
Dont bother with narrow band.. just save the money and get a wideband setup..
Save the money? Wideband setup seems much more expensive....
Old 10-16-2008, 11:20 PM
Techno Duck
Nordschleife Master

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

What i mean by that is the wideband is far more useful in the data it displays. The narrow band isnt really telling you anything other than your stock O2 sensor is working right. Who knows, it might prevent you from blowing up your engine up also.
Old 10-16-2008, 11:22 PM
amirpc
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Techno Duck
What i mean by that is the wideband is far more useful in the data it displays. The narrow band isnt really telling you anything other than your stock O2 sensor is working right. Who knows, it might prevent you from blowing up your engine up also.

Yeah, you're not the first person to tell me that. I've been avoiding it because if I'm going to put $300 into something I'd rather it be my chips, or wastegate, etc...Got any recommendations on a wideband kit? I'll look into it and see if it is in the budget.
Old 10-16-2008, 11:30 PM
CPR
Race Director

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by amirpc
Yeah, you're not the first person to tell me that. I've been avoiding it because if I'm going to put $300 into something I'd rather it be my chips, or wastegate, etc...Got any recommendations on a wideband kit? I'll look into it and see if it is in the budget.
Amirpc,
don't listen to these guys...they are getting it all wrong. Install a new wing, some front clear lenses, front and rear side clears, and of course a new splitter in Mid- November.

THEN...go for the "other" upgrades....

I know this guy....and he has some good stuff....
Old 10-16-2008, 11:31 PM
gt37vgt
Drifting

i feel ya seems on a budget you can only get something every quarter not every month
Old 10-16-2008, 11:35 PM
amirpc
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by gt37vgt
i feel ya seems on a budget you can only get something every quarter not every month
yeah...well I actually could get something every month but I'm having to bribe people to help me out with the work and I don't think I could bribe them 5 times

Plus, I like money!

Anyone know about my other question? Do I need a piggy back fuel controller with the stage 2 MAF from lindsey?
Old 10-16-2008, 11:46 PM
porshhhh951
Monkeys Removed by Request
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Not necessarily. I mean you are buying a fpr right? and you have injectors. As long as the chips you buy are mapped properly for your setup a fuel controller is a way to fine tune the fuel in certain areas. Get better gas mileage off boost and better performance on.

Since you are starting basic with the stock turbo and just looking for bolt ons I would take the money you'd spend on the fuel controller and buy a wide band o2. FYI I had the power perfect fuel controller with my stage 2 Lindsey maf and I nearly never touched it. I had the chips burnt for the setup and it ran rich but, well.

So I'd say spend that coin in a exhaust system or a wide band.
Old 10-16-2008, 11:50 PM
amirpc
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by porshhhh951
So i'd say spend that coin in a exhuast system or a wideband.
Cha-Ching! Thanks
Old 10-17-2008, 12:09 AM
theedge
Addict
Rennlist Member

Zeitronix is a very nice Wideband O2 system.
Old 10-17-2008, 12:36 AM
Josh B
Addict
Rennlist Member

Not to be a stick in the mud but I am assuming that the basics are up to date on this car? Timing belt/balance belt/rollers/ water pump/front engine seals/a-arm ball joints/caster blocks/rotors/pads/brake fluid/cv axles/transmission fluid replace?

Before I did any mods I would get a leakdown test, compression test, intake pressure test and exhaust system pressure test. That way you can rule out issues like worn rings, cracked intake vaccum hoses, manifold cracks etc.

It may be fun and sexy to spend $$ on mods but if the car has issues with the fundamentals it won't last long.
Old 10-17-2008, 12:44 AM
amirpc
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Josh B
It may be fun and sexy to spend $$ on mods but if the car has issues with the fundamentals it won't last long.
It has been maintained meticulously by a 944 head over at Pelican...

But yeah it had its belts done less than 1500 miles ago, it has a tiny oil leak from the rear engine seal I know of. The fluids are all recently replaced, and the coolant is holding, no leaks.

I've had a compression test done, and it is in good shape. I haven't had the other tests done, but it passed emissions with flying colors does that count for anything?

I'll ask my mechanic about doing some of those other tests you've mentioned.
Old 10-17-2008, 11:32 AM
Papamurphdog
Rennlist Member

Received 110 Likes on 60 Posts

Being EXTREMELY new to the 951 scene I'm somewhat unsure of my upgrade path, I'd appreciate any thoughts.

Its a 1986 951 you can see pics at http://www.flickr.com/photos/1279314...7607698586880/.

Those are kinda old I've got OZ Racing wheels on there now

The car is stock except for B&B Exhaust and aftermarket blow off valves. It has weltmeister chips, but that is irrelevant.

I'm planning on installing all of these upgrades at basically one go, not over time. Bad idea?

1) Manual Boost Controller - Boost & Narrow Band Air/Fuel gauges
2) #72 Fuel Injectors
3) Bosche 3 Bar Fuel Regulator
4) Lindsey Racing Stage 2 MAF (Already got this almost new at a great price)
5) Tial 0.8 Bar 38mm Wastegate
6) 951max Chips

I'm hoping to get in the high 200s with this 280-300 would be beautiful.

Like I said, very new to this so please critique away.
It was mentioned in this thread but I would like to re-emphasize a few things:

• +1 on ALL basic stuff so the car itself is fairly perfect; don’t forget wheel bearings and also drop the oil pan and do the bearings. Check #2 and it will tell you a lot about the state of the motor.
Then forget about the motor for a bit and do the car!!!
• Suspension and handling are MUCH more important than the motor, in the beginning. Do that first, you’ll thank me later.
• Then do the 3” exhaust from either LR or Fabspeed or GHL. I have Fabspeed on the black car and GHL on the S2. Both are great. With no motor mods at all you will see a performance gain from the exhaust.
THEN, do the motor, slowly, in chunks of related parts, just like you are planning.

Make the car safe, reliable, and handle better, before you make more power. It will also give you a chance to learn to drive the car, with its new and improved handling, before adding “right foot” oversteer issues.

Just my two cents.
Old 10-17-2008, 12:00 PM
amirpc
Rennlist Member

I'm pretty happy with the way the car handles, I've been driving 951s for about 3 months. I drove a crappy beat up one for about 7 weeks, and then I bought this one and have had it for about 5 weeks. I'm pretty satisfied with the handling and the suspension is in excellent shape, it was redone about 4k miles ago. The original owner sunk a TON of money into the car the last 4k miles he had it, then I think ran into financial trouble and sold it to me.

After talking to Dave @ Lindsey this is what my new plan is:

1) Boost Controller/Boost Gauge
2) 3 Bar Fuel Regulator
3) Stage 2 MAF
4) Tial Wastegate
5) UEGA Wideband (Already got a deal on this)
6) 951max chips
7) Gutted Cat (already have a gutted cat, just gotta swap it on) - high flow muffler/large tip

The main difference here is the removal of the #72 fuel injectors, I'm going to wait on that until I'm ready to swap in a bigger turbo - and of course, the addition of a wideband.
Old 10-17-2008, 12:10 PM
Josh B
Addict
Rennlist Member

I'm pretty happy with the way the car handles, I've been driving 951s for about 3 months. I drove a crappy beat up one for about 7 weeks, and then I bought this one and have had it for about 5 weeks. I'm pretty satisfied with the handling and the suspension is in excellent shape, it was redone about 4k miles ago. The original owner sunk a TON of money into the car the last 4k miles he had it, then I think ran into financial trouble and sold it to me.

After talking to Dave @ Lindsey this is what my new plan is:

1) Boost Controller/Boost Gauge
2) 3 Bar Fuel Regulator
3) Stage 2 MAF
4) Tial Wastegate
5) UEGA Wideband (Already got a deal on this)
6) 951max chips
7) Gutted Cat (already have a gutted cat, just gotta swap it on) - high flow muffler/large tip

The main difference here is the removal of the #72 fuel injectors, I'm going to wait on that until I'm ready to swap in a bigger turbo - and of course, the addition of a wideband.

Hey amirpc,

What part of the country are you located in? Are you going to get some dynos done along the way as you do the upgrades? I would be really curious to see what sort of hp numbers they yield.

Quick Reply: My Upgrade Plan, thoughts?