Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

My Upgrade Plan, thoughts?

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-2008, 12:20 PM
kevincnc
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If I were to start over with mods, a wideband would be the FIRST upgrade. Then you can get used to what AFR should look like under different driving conditions and get in the habit of watching it as you do other mods and increase boost to make sure you're still in the safe range, and avoid blowing your headgasket or worse.
Old 10-17-2008, 12:27 PM
amirpc
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Josh B
Hey amirpc,

What part of the country are you located in? Are you going to get some dynos done along the way as you do the upgrades? I would be really curious to see what sort of hp numbers they yield.
I'm in Austin, TX. My buddy has a dyno, I'll probably try to get a dyno before and a dyno after.
Old 10-17-2008, 12:31 PM
amirpc
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by kevincnc
If I were to start over with mods, a wideband would be the FIRST upgrade.
Actually I was able to get a great deal on a UEGO 1000 so via dumb luck, it will be my first mod
Old 10-18-2008, 05:29 AM
porshhhh951
Monkeys Removed by Request
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by amirpc
I'm in Austin, TX. My buddy has a dyno, I'll probably try to get a dyno before and a dyno after.
Actually I was able to get a great deal on a UEGO 1000 so via dumb luck, it will be my first mod
Mr.Burns voice

"Exxxxcelent!"
Old 10-26-2008, 11:37 AM
amirpc
Rennlist Member

Put my VDO boost gauge in yesterday under the radio, officially my first mod! I'm waiting for my Lindsey gauge panel to come in so I don't just have a dangling boost gauge.

Next up, installing the boost controller & wideband.
Old 10-26-2008, 01:06 PM
rberry951
Temprarily Banned per IB

I don't want to leave in the stock injectors, really. I can just get some 55s from lindsey, since I'm using a lindsey MAF it might work out better as far as support goes.

Question: With the upgrades listed, will I need a piggy back fuel controller? Lindsey says you should get one with the MAF.... and no, I don't fully understand what they do
The piggyback controller simply makes a voltage adjustment to the signal coming from the MAF unit to bring it within the range the AFM would output for the same flow rate.

If your target HP is under 300, and you are not going to upgrade your turbo, there is no need for a MAF, or the 55# injectors, they will not gain you any more power with your stock turbo, and you will not outflow your AFM or injectors. To achieve your stated power goals, you just need a boost controller, 3.0 bar FPR, and chip. Save yourself a ton of money. Later when you are ready to upgrade to a larger turbo, get your turbo, injectors, chips, etc. all from the same place as a matched kit, then you will get the best performance for your dollar. If buying any sort of kit from Lindsey, go ahead and get the chip from them as well, they carry my chips. Same as if you bought it directly from me.

Regards,
Russell
Old 10-26-2008, 01:21 PM
amirpc
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by rberry951
The piggyback controller simply makes a voltage adjustment to the signal coming from the MAF unit to bring it within the range the AFM would output for the same flow rate.

If your target HP is under 300, and you are not going to upgrade your turbo, there is no need for a MAF, or the 55# injectors, they will not gain you any more power with your stock turbo, and you will not outflow your AFM or injectors. To achieve your stated power goals, you just need a boost controller, 3.0 bar FPR, and chip. Save yourself a ton of money. Later when you are ready to upgrade to a larger turbo, get your turbo, injectors, chips, etc. all from the same place as a matched kit, then you will get the best performance for your dollar. If buying any sort of kit from Lindsey, go ahead and get the chip from them as well, they carry my chips. Same as if you bought it directly from me.

Regards,
Russell

Well then I'll hold off on installing the MAF until I decide to swap out the turbo, which I may eventually do. I've already got the 3 bar FPR and my boost controller is on the way. I'll be ordering a chip from you as soon as this next paycheck hits

Thanks for the info!
Old 10-31-2008, 11:40 AM
amirpc
Rennlist Member

Well I've installed my boost gauge (VDO), and boost enhancer. I've screwed my boost controller and Wideband into the plate, but I haven't hooked them up yet. Forgot to adjust the boost enhancer after installation and had a fun experience with 21 lbs of boost and the ECU pulling all my timing. Got it adjusted now, its beautiful.

What do you guys think?

PS - That boost enhancer is awesome, I'm shifting into serious boost every time now, it feels great.

Last edited by amirpc; 11-10-2009 at 12:54 AM.
Old 10-31-2008, 12:27 PM
theedge
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

PS - That boost enhancer is awesome, I'm shifting into serious boost every time now, it feels great.
I like mine for the same reason until I installed an electronic boost controller
Old 10-31-2008, 01:18 PM
amirpc
Rennlist Member

I've got a question for people running the 951 max chip.

I'm wondering if every time I change something I have to buy a new chip? I mean like I want to run this set up with boost enhancer, boost controller, new wastegate, FPR and chips.

However, I've got a MAF just waiting to go in at some point, and new injectors and I might swap the turbo too. I'm just wondering if anytime I want to change anything I have to buy a new chip for $250?
Old 10-31-2008, 03:43 PM
porschefig
Three Wheelin'

Talk to Russell before you install that MAF.

He has options for you to have several maps.
Old 10-31-2008, 05:03 PM
amirpc
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by porschefig
Talk to Russell before you install that MAF.

He has options for you to have several maps.
Yeah I've tried getting a hold of Dave @ Lindsey Racing and Russel via phone. Hopefully one of them will call me back.

On a total side note, I'm really looking into getting a diff turbo to swap in - I've read a big comparison of all the diff turbos but the one that appeals to me I think is just the K26/8.

Does anyone have any links they can provide with information as to what is involved in this? Would just chips & injectors/FPR be good enough?
Old 10-31-2008, 05:10 PM
amirpc
Rennlist Member

Wow Russel already called me back!

Turns out he'll fix my chip up for my new gear for $50, which I'm fine with.

So I can go ahead and start tinkering and just ship him the old chip and he'll ship me a new one. I'm happy.
Old 10-31-2008, 06:48 PM
amirpc
Rennlist Member

I'm having a hard time understanding what exactly is necessary to install a TiAL wastegate.

I found a good deal on the WG w/spring...what else am I going to need? I have a machine shop I use, can they build the pieces for me (I'm assuming they need to be machined).

Also, another question about the spring. The spring pressure rating is the pressure at which the spring will start to open, correct? If that is the case, is my boost enhancer even necessary?
Old 10-31-2008, 07:18 PM
spoolin51
Three Wheelin'

Amir, IMHO when it comes to wastegates it really dosent get better than Tial.

Quick Reply: My Upgrade Plan, thoughts?