Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

I don't drive in the rain, do you?

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-2008, 05:18 PM
TRP951
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by MPD47
I dont take my car out of the garage. I'm afraid of air, it could get in the cracks!

Wait, my garage has air in it, AHHHHHHHHHHG! BRB!
Hahaha Mike dont worry im sure you will finish this winter
Old 08-30-2008, 06:07 PM
Auto_Werks 3.6
Quit Smokin'
Rennlist Member

Received 303 Likes on 195 Posts

Phone dials are not wide enough
Wide tires are not helpful in the rain. This is also true in the snow. Have you ever seen the bicycle tires that rally racers use in the snow stages?
Old 08-30-2008, 10:16 PM
Keithr726
Nordschleife Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I know narrow is better for snow but I thought the same applies to rain as does summer when wider is better.
Old 08-30-2008, 11:55 PM
ehall
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

The width, in the rain, is unconsequential. In rain, it's all about the depth of the tread and the ability of the tire to channel water. A tire that is too soft can often be bad in both rain and heat. Contact patch, however, is extremely important in both heat and rain. In snow, not so much.
Old 08-31-2008, 12:07 AM
manticore33
Racer

Umm... after wasting my time reading this thread, I cannot help but be confused by one thing. Why would you buy a Mustang GT, V8 and rear wheel drive, for the rain and city driving?

Even with traction control, that car will not perform like an AWD car. My e39 BMW, with traction control, was never as stable in the super-wet or snowy conditions as my B5 A4 Quattro.

Likewise, I drove my A4 through 20" of snow (on all-season tires) on unplowed roads without getting stuck. If I hit a large mud puddle, the car does not pull to any side.

To me, if technology is the end all be all, an AWD car, with traction control, ABS, locking diffs, and all of your other gismos would be a better choice. Likewise, I can say that the AWD system in my Audi gets up in the deep snow better than the control-trac 4x4 system and rear LSD my '96 Explorer had.
Old 08-31-2008, 04:02 AM
bigdeano
Burning Brakes

this whole thread sure is an intriguing display of knowledge isn't it?
Old 08-31-2008, 04:33 AM
A.Wayne
Formula One Spin Doctor
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by smokintr6
Wide tires are not helpful in the rain. This is also true in the snow. Have you ever seen the bicycle tires that rally racers use in the snow stages?
Originally Posted by ehall
The width, in the rain, is unconsequential. In rain, it's all about the depth of the tread and the ability of the tire to channel water. A tire that is too soft can often be bad in both rain and heat. Contact patch, however, is extremely important in both heat and rain. In snow, not so much.
WIdth will have an negative effect on grip in the wet, wider is not better. ( all things remaining equal, as to compound type, thread pattern, etc.)

Now why are you guys "raining" on Sebatian944 Parade .....
Old 08-31-2008, 04:44 AM
ehall
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by A.Wayne
WIdth will have an negative effect on grip in the wet, wider is not better. ( all things remaining equal, as to compound type, thread pattern, etc.)

Now why are you guys "raining" on Sebatian944 Parade .....
Why do you say that? My own experience, living in Florida, where we see rain almost daily, doesn't jibe with that theory, so I'm curious as to the science.
Old 08-31-2008, 07:13 AM
Jones
Rennlist Member

Recently acquired an 89 turbo (love it). Today, drove in the rain for the first time. Handles great in the wet, too. I really appreciate the fine balance of this car even more now. However, water was dropping right over the accelerator. I also had the AC on. Is there a component of AC in that area, or is it rain water seaping through cracked seals? Thanks in advance. (Sorry Sebatian944 for using your thread)
Old 08-31-2008, 11:12 AM
sebastian944
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Jones
Recently acquired an 89 turbo (love it). Today, drove in the rain for the first time. Handles great in the wet, too. I really appreciate the fine balance of this car even more now. However, water was dropping right over the accelerator. I also had the AC on. Is there a component of AC in that area, or is it rain water seaping through cracked seals? Thanks in advance. (Sorry Sebatian944 for using your thread)
That's fine, this has ballooned way beyond it's original intention. I just wanted to see who babies their Porsche, and weather others think the rain affects the reliability and condition of a 20+ car.
Old 08-31-2008, 11:46 AM
wolfenstein
Instructor

drive it in the rain and snow. vredstein's for the snow there's a couple guys on the 996 boards who run in the snow if you got it drive it-i hate trailer queens
Old 08-31-2008, 01:50 PM
Darwantae951

Received 25 Likes on 21 Posts

Yep, I do.
Old 08-31-2008, 02:57 PM
Papamurphdog
Rennlist Member

Received 110 Likes on 60 Posts

...Interesting how the Formula One teams all go to those "super skinny" tires in the wet...NOT!!! Snow = skinny is better. Rain = water evacuation, etc., like ehall said. Right foot connected to sphincter valve. Left foot connected to mangina...

Standing water = boat, regardless of tires.
Old 08-31-2008, 04:16 PM
IGROWL
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Jones
However, water was dropping right over the accelerator. I also had the AC on. Is there a component of AC in that area, or is it rain water seaping through cracked seals?
I have that same issue with one of mine. I have searched and can only come up with some drain hole is clogged. I haven't tried the methods that were mentioned to unclog it. I have this when the air conditioner is not on. When it rains or when I wash the car.
Old 08-31-2008, 04:57 PM
kevincnc
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by sebastian944
That's fine, this has ballooned way beyond it's original intention. I just wanted to see who babies their Porsche, and weather others think the rain affects the reliability and condition of a 20+ car.
I avoid driving in the rain right after I wash the car it becasue I'm lazy and don't want to have to wash it again. If you want to "baby" your car, I'd say fix the issues that cause problems when you drive it in the rain.

Quick Reply: I don't drive in the rain, do you?