Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I only drive in the rain on the track

and i unbolt the sway bar especially the rear
Old 08-29-2008, 10:39 AM
Scootin159
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by sebastian944
I avoid the rain. People make fun of me, because i don't drive in the rain.
I'd make fun of you too...

Being from Toronto, do you "retire" your license every October until the following April as well?
Old 08-29-2008, 10:40 AM
Scootin159
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by reno808
i unbolt the sway bar especially the rear
Seems putting the rear bar on full stiff, and removing the front, would be much more "fun"
Old 08-29-2008, 10:41 AM
ryanm6100
Pumice King
Rennlist Member

I make it rain.
Old 08-29-2008, 10:50 AM
disasterman
Three Wheelin'

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

The cars were meant to be driven so put the wipers on and drive.... FFS A car that is "molycoddled" will give a lot more trouble than a car that is used regularly....!

Ye shant be molycoddlin' these machines! These overengineered german panzers can take it lad.

Spent a little time in the Belfast area last year, couldn't help the comment.
Old 08-29-2008, 11:13 AM
seattle951
Pro

I don't my 951 in the rain in Seattle because the car is unsafe. No anti-lock brakes, no airbags, no traction control, foggy windows, poor windsheild visibility, too low to the ground for good visbility and too much power and too little traction makes the car unpredicable.

I use a 07 Mustang GT as my daily driver (replaced a 01 BMW 740 that became unreliable). When thing get really nasty, I have an 06 Jeep Commander with a 5.7L Hemi at my disposal.
Old 08-29-2008, 11:15 AM
M758
Race Director

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by sebastian944
I avoid the rain. People make fun of me, because i don't drive in the rain. I don't care though, my excuse is -- hey, I know this is a 22 year old car and I also know the DME could get wet and cause the TPS to stick at 1300~ rpm. I'm also afraid of the rubber under the hood cracking. The speed sensor, reference sensor getting bad. My car is a princess and beautiful, it deserves that respect, doesn't it?
I am in Arizona. It does not rain much here, but both my cars get driven in the rain. Now I don't go looking to drive them in the rain, but I don't care if it happens. The are cars and you can wash them.

Old 08-29-2008, 11:20 AM
JohnCh
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

The rear tires in the 993 are due for replacement, so I commuted in the 951 during the wet days over the last couple of weeks. Demister works really well, traction is fine and the throttle is easy to modulate when the boost builds, it has great visibility, and a rear wiper. Aside from a lack of ABS, I think it's a great rain car. Just drive it!

-John
Old 08-29-2008, 11:21 AM
M758
Race Director

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by seattle951
I don't my 951 in the rain in Seattle because the car is unsafe. No anti-lock brakes, no airbags, no traction control, foggy windows, poor windsheild visibility, too low to the ground for good visbility and too much power and too little traction makes the car unpredicable.
Huh

These cars were designed in Germany where it rains alot. They are fine rain cars. Seems to me you are just a little scared. If you windows fog in the rain you don't have the defroster setting right.

If you want fogging try racing in a down pour at 120 mph with no interior heat shielding, one wiper, and no defroster. That gets fun. Even so with alittle fresh air blowing on glass you are just fine.
Old 08-29-2008, 11:28 AM
Papamurphdog
Rennlist Member

Received 110 Likes on 60 Posts

Seabass...you slay me!! LOL!! "My car is too fast" and now this!?! ROTFLOL!!! If you are runing slicks keep it in the garage, otherwise drive the darn thing!!! BTW, you'll learn to be smoother in the wet and if you can find some twisty bits of road you will discover that the car sticks pretty darn good. You can't just tromp on the gas and spool her her up the same way as you would in the dry. Don't be a *****... :-)
Old 08-29-2008, 11:47 AM
Potomac-Greg
Drifting

It's not my daily driver, and I only drive it once or twice a week to keep it loose. So, if it's raining, I do not drive it. I'm really just trying to avoid washing it!

Having a 944 with a perfect dashboard and interior, so I also avoid parking it in full sun. It's crazy that I bought the car as a track beater, and I treat is like a family heirloom.
Old 08-29-2008, 11:55 AM
PorscheDude1
On the Radar
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by CurtP
We had a slogan that we used when I was in the Navy describing this kind of behavior: All-weather aircraft, fair-weather pilots.

I think you head on the head with that statement...

Not only do I drive them the rain, but I also drive them in the snow.
Attached Images  
Old 08-29-2008, 12:08 PM
VanhireBoys
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by disasterman

Spent a little time in the Belfast area last year, couldn't help the comment.

Oh aye boys... watta bout ya big maun...!

Jaysus sar ye hey te use 'er in the rain boys..... She id never see the light 'o day ... Oh aye.....

Translated as : You have to use it in the wet otherwise you wouldnt get to use it....!

Thats exactly the way our local OPC Agnews in Belfast talk on the phone...!

I didnt know you could post on here with an Irish accent
Old 08-29-2008, 12:09 PM
reno808
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by seattle951
OMG cry me a river dude seriously just get good rain tires soften the suspension up a little and its a wrap i have driven my my 951 with bald tires in a freakin snow storm.. not that i wanted too but i got cought out when i purchased my 951 from down south comeing up to NY. THESE CAR HANDLE VERY GOOD IN THE RAIN if your car is up to par.
Old 08-29-2008, 12:26 PM
seattle951
Pro

Why should I drive the 951 in the rain when I have 4 other cars based on modern technology that are safer?

The 951 is fun toy, but not something that I would want to drive on a daily basis. It is obsolete.

I don't want to detract from the hobby. Messing around with the 951 is one of my few things in my life that gives me an escape from work. But, it is a hobby and not the most practical car for supporting my work or personal life.

Quick Reply: I don't drive in the rain, do you?