Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

No horspower trophy's today

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-2008, 07:48 PM
Tms951
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sorry to see you are having these problems.

I have always been puzzled by the fact that with all the custom fab, and work in general you have done to your car as well as your experience that you never went to a stand alone.

As you well know and have stated by this time you could have paid for it and installed it.

Maybe it time to throw in the towel and go that route? Going stand alone was one of the better choices I made on my car. IMO the motronic in these cars is just to primitive to be worth dicking around with, as well as the issue you are dealing with in terms of old wiring.

Good luck, and I look forward to seeing it all come together in the end.
Old 04-20-2008, 07:51 PM
HansB
Pro

Originally Posted by 95ONE
ok.
ref sensor.
this caused car to go lean?
Yes, lean like 17 - 18 over 3500 RPM. Undrivable.
Old 04-20-2008, 07:55 PM
HansB
Pro

In fact, I also went to a stand-alone over the last weeks.

The diagnostic possibilities of such a system are so much better, it would have paid for itself, already from the last episode. I was completely fed up with the money and time lost on a relatively simple problem.
Old 04-20-2008, 08:18 PM
95ONE
Race Car

I hear you guys loud and clear. just that I Just spent this money. I'm buying speed & ref sensors now. this has be it. its they're the last original sensors on the car (knock is left)

Just went through harness completely. nothing was wrong, but I re-did most everything anyway. All quick connects clips from volvo. only original clip is tps.

I know guys. Standalone would've been only a grand more. I'm a harness bad *** at this point.

what do you think? Motec with flying loom $2500- car worth more in the end.
or Megasquirt with so many options and loom - $700?
Autronic?
Old 04-20-2008, 10:09 PM
LS1Porch
Burning Brakes

I (obviously) don't know these systems well, but could it be something like a plugged cat? Not allowing the cylinder to evacuate completely after it warms up and seals off your exhaust? Just throwing it out there...

Otherwise, i'm not sure how much grounding you have running from the engine to the chassis, but a lack of grounding has caused me innumerable "freak" problems.
Old 04-21-2008, 12:02 AM
ShApE
Burning Brakes

you could bring it to the shop I work at in austin? We are a performance shop with a dyno, and one of our techs was a porsche master tech. Plus the owner is a wiring genius. PM me for details, Im sure we could figure it out for you.
Old 04-21-2008, 02:23 AM
95ONE
Race Car

No Catalytic converter here. No muffler. hardly a pipe.

I seriously appreciate the offer ShApE. But If I were to give in to another shop, it would be Sam Shalayla at Pro Teknik a few minutes away. Where he would probably talk me into the MOTEC.

Please take no offense. If I were in Austin. I would surely go to your shop for help.
Old 04-21-2008, 02:34 AM
Rogue_Ant
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Small Business Partner

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

If you choose aftermarket EMS. I would personally go the MS route... learning curve might be a little steeper - but you will understand more about your car.
If you go MicroSquirt - it can read the factory speed/reference sensors, no need to add another trigger wheel.

-Rogue
Old 04-21-2008, 03:57 AM
dand86951
Burning Brakes

95one, sorry to hear of the problems. I just read the post and wanted to let you know what happened to my car doing very similar dyno run. I had MAF and chips, early Vitesse, and on the dyno the AFR would go dramatically up around 4000rpm. This system had the two pot adjustment. Tried adjusting but nothing changed. Took the TPS cable off and checked the TPS voltages for correct operation, everything ok, and no change, so I just cleaned the TPS connector contacts really well and everything was fine. I concentrated on the TPS and cable because John felt the ECU wasn't getting the full throttle signal.

Also, if by chance your coil or spark plugs aren't firing properly then I think the AFR will show lean due to more unburnt oxygen making it through the cylinders along with unburned gas, but the O2 sensor will pick up on the oxygen.

Good luck
Old 04-21-2008, 09:43 AM
eniac
Drifting

Originally Posted by dand86951
95one, sorry to hear of the problems. I just read the post and wanted to let you know what happened to my car doing very similar dyno run. I had MAF and chips, early Vitesse, and on the dyno the AFR would go dramatically up around 4000rpm. This system had the two pot adjustment. Tried adjusting but nothing changed. Took the TPS cable off and checked the TPS voltages for correct operation, everything ok, and no change, so I just cleaned the TPS connector contacts really well and everything was fine. I concentrated on the TPS and cable because John felt the ECU wasn't getting the full throttle signal.

Also, if by chance your coil or spark plugs aren't firing properly then I think the AFR will show lean due to more unburnt oxygen making it through the cylinders along with unburned gas, but the O2 sensor will pick up on the oxygen.

Good luck
This just reminded me of something else I wanted to add, when checking the sensors/switches such as the TPS, I would advise first checking them at the DME plug, then if something isn't what it should be, trace it back to the sensor. One of the advantage of having a EBC is that it shows the voltage and TPS %.
Old 04-21-2008, 01:12 PM
95ONE
Race Car

reinstalled harness last night. too tired to test since it took me 8 hours to pull apart and re-build using new/old wires.

TPS sensor new. idle setting good. full voltage at full throttle. new cap/rotor. took out inline resistors. (3ohm injectors )

going to try tonight. then change plugs. then wait on reference sensors to get here.
Old 04-21-2008, 01:30 PM
Rogue_Ant
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Small Business Partner

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Keep your head up man! Let us know how it turns out.

-Rogue
Old 04-21-2008, 02:52 PM
rlm328
Rennlist Member

Received 309 Likes on 206 Posts

A little off subject, but I was by Sam's shop last Friday. We were chatting when Sam mentioned that he was in the final stages of selling his shop. He did say that he was going to stay involved with it as a Manageing Director.
Old 04-21-2008, 03:09 PM
xsboost90
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

anyone ever heard of clocking the maf? Sometimes supposedly in higher boost applications the MAF needs to be clocked appropriately or the air will go around the sensor and not be read completely. In these cases just clocking the MAF kept the car from running too rich/lean. Never know. Maybe try another ECM w/o the resistors-temporarily - to see if they are interfering.
Old 04-21-2008, 03:34 PM
toddk911
Drive-by provocation guy
Rennlist Member

It's good to hear that regardless of the immense frustration you are feeling, you are sticking it out.

We all have been there!!!

Always look at it as anything with these cars can be fixed.....with enough time and money.

Keep your head up.

Quick Reply: No horspower trophy's today