Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

20v 5cyl turbo 944 project

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-2009 | 06:10 PM
944J
Banned

Originally Posted by Duke

I know of that engine and it has nothing to do in a discussion of production engines.
Let me get this straight.... just because a totally custom engine like that is made of aluminum, you totally ignore the 944's aluminum block as a source of problems????

What is your point? That if we create a totally new engine block from scratch it can be made to stand the power? Of course it can, but that's not exactly to "modify" an engine now is it?
This ridiculous discussion started with that you thought it was EASIER to modify a 944 N/A engine to take 1000 hp reliable than to fit an Audi 5 cylinder engine.
And now your talking about creating a whole new engine from scratch?
Anything can be done, more or less. But the money involved for a reliable 1000 hp 944 engine... I would take that money and buy a 997 turbo instead

I knew that this discussion were doomed from the beginning, I'm just dissapointed in myself for not ignoring it.
yes, i never said modify, i said re-engineer (which is a sort of SMART and SYSTEMATIC modification, but not the typical bolt on modification i'm talking about) its cheaper to wrap the 944 block in solid gold than to cut and hack and peice together any type of engine transplant.

still ive never seen an intelligent and systematic list of the problems of the 944 engine that prevent it from achieving super high HP... which is typical of a non scientific internet forum, but will never lead to anything.

find the problems then the solutions become obvious
Old 01-21-2009 | 06:11 PM
Duke
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by 944J
see the 4,000hp 4 cylinder ALUMINUM block above, its not about the material its about the construction... what's the audi block made of?
Oh I see... so the material has nothing to do with it? Looking forward to the engine blocks made out of regular wood, it will save a lot of weight indeed
If you actually thought for a second you would realise that it's a combination of MATERIAL and CONSTRUCTION. And my advise is that you read the article once more and take a look at how you need to design an aluminum block in order to make it solid.

I'm out of here.
Old 01-21-2009 | 06:19 PM
944J
Banned

Originally Posted by Duke
Oh I see... so the material has nothing to do with it? Looking forward to the engine blocks made out of regular wood, it will save a lot of weight indeed
If you actually thought for a second you would realise that it's a combination of MATERIAL and CONSTRUCTION. And my advise is that you read the article once more and take a look at how you need to design an aluminum block in order to make it solid.

I'm out of here.
wood? thats just an obvious stupid comment just to be difficult and does nothing to add to the information in this article...

i highly doubt that reading this article will make me an expert on engine block design or teach me how to "make it more solid" --> what a scientific and exacting statement.

one thing i can think of is welding steel stringers inside the frame walls of the engine block, i'm sure this would help.
Old 01-21-2009 | 09:07 PM
anders44
Three Wheelin'

yes, i never said modify, i said re-engineer (which is a sort of SMART and SYSTEMATIC modification, but not the typical bolt on modification i'm talking about) its cheaper to wrap the 944 block in solid gold than to cut and hack and peice together any type of engine transplant.

still ive never seen an intelligent and systematic list of the problems of the 944 engine that prevent it from achieving super high HP... which is typical of a non scientific internet forum, but will never lead to anything.

find the problems then the solutions become obvious
sorry dude, but you really can't be into engines, have tested other brand, or got any experience with motors or tuning.

first the block, it's alusil, which limits the pistons/rings and makes **** expensive. this can be replaced with steel liners.. again expensive.

the head, ceramic liners, so need to use a na head, or 16v head, both requiring all new internals meaning lifters, springs, valves etc. not to mention the basic design of the squish area.
then there is the need for a completly new intake move the turbo, hack up firewall to achive a good turbo setup etc.
then there is the oiling trouble.

everything is possible, it's just not viable. replacing engine is much easier/cheaper.

experimenting and parts are way overpriced, you can't grab a ****load of 16v heads and experiment, say each head is 3-4k easy. the blocks are expensive, as are cranks.

I could go on for a long time, but you don't seem to get the arguments.

a dry sumped solid lifter 3.5liter steel lined 16v engine will be cool, but at an insane price, and unknown reliability. have you got 20-40k to drop on an engine?

at the same budget, you will get killed running a 944 engine, vs an old I5 as an example, or v8. v8 ls is actually lighter than I5..

you can say a lot of things about american cars and engine, but they have MASS PRODUCTION of good tunable engines at very good prices.

I really really really wanted to keep my 944 engine and make a 3.0 16v, but everything costing 2-3X vs a v8.. just can't afford it, if the v8 blows i can rebuild it cheap with new parts, if the 3liter blows it's expeeeensive, not to mention the powercurve of the higher displacement engine just kills the 3liter.

I currently own 4 cars, 3 as of now with turbos, soon only 2, I keep changeing cars, and I love boost. but displacement does rule. porsche makes some awsome engines, just look at GT3 and the turbos, but the 944 engine was never designed to run boost. it was an afterthought, and they didn't know that much about the exotic materials they used.

please post something good about the 944 engine.. I can only say that its angeld at the side, which provides the car with a low profile, low drag, and low CG... except for that? noop.
Old 01-21-2009 | 09:12 PM
ritzblitz
Drifting

Originally Posted by anders44
please post something good about the 944 engine.. I can only say that its angeld at the side, which provides the car with a low profile, low drag, and low CG... except for that? noop.
lol
Old 01-21-2009 | 09:49 PM
alxdgr8
Rennlist Member

still no one has addressed the reason why a 20v audi engine is better than a 16v 944 engine that has more displacement, they just say it is because the bottom end is strong... nothing specific. everyone is going on trial and error instead of a systematic approach.

to me most of the stuff that has been done to the 944 2.5 & 3.0 L engines is just bolt-on and lightning bandaids, not really making the engine itself any different.
Well the most powerful 944 that anyone seems to have shown is tool's 602rwhp.

Here is Javad from 034's 80tq that makes 703awhp@40psi...car still has 3k rpm of over 600whp:
http://www.80tq.com/20vtMotor.html

New engine which is waiting to go in the car will have over 1000whp and rev to 10.5k rpm.

Old 01-21-2009 | 10:13 PM
VOoDOoGTX
Drifting

such a fun build to watch every month. that car is nuts.

oh and theres this one

http://www.youtube.com/v/SouJgGJliqg&hl=en&fs=1

Originally Posted by alxdgr8
Well the most powerful 944 that anyone seems to have shown is tool's 602rwhp.

Here is Javad from 034's 80tq that makes 703awhp@40psi...car still has 3k rpm of over 600whp:
http://www.80tq.com/20vtMotor.html

New engine which is waiting to go in the car will have over 1000whp and rev to 10.5k rpm.

Old 01-21-2009 | 10:17 PM
944J
Banned

Originally Posted by anders44
sorry dude, but you really can't be into engines, have tested other brand, or got any experience with motors or tuning.

first the block, it's alusil, which limits the pistons/rings and makes **** expensive. this can be replaced with steel liners.. again expensive.

the head, ceramic liners, so need to use a na head, or 16v head, both requiring all new internals meaning lifters, springs, valves etc. not to mention the basic design of the squish area.
then there is the need for a completly new intake move the turbo, hack up firewall to achive a good turbo setup etc.
then there is the oiling trouble.

everything is possible, it's just not viable. replacing engine is much easier/cheaper.

experimenting and parts are way overpriced, you can't grab a ****load of 16v heads and experiment, say each head is 3-4k easy. the blocks are expensive, as are cranks.

I could go on for a long time, but you don't seem to get the arguments.

a dry sumped solid lifter 3.5liter steel lined 16v engine will be cool, but at an insane price, and unknown reliability. have you got 20-40k to drop on an engine?

at the same budget, you will get killed running a 944 engine, vs an old I5 as an example, or v8. v8 ls is actually lighter than I5..

you can say a lot of things about american cars and engine, but they have MASS PRODUCTION of good tunable engines at very good prices.

I really really really wanted to keep my 944 engine and make a 3.0 16v, but everything costing 2-3X vs a v8.. just can't afford it, if the v8 blows i can rebuild it cheap with new parts, if the 3liter blows it's expeeeensive, not to mention the powercurve of the higher displacement engine just kills the 3liter.

I currently own 4 cars, 3 as of now with turbos, soon only 2, I keep changeing cars, and I love boost. but displacement does rule. porsche makes some awsome engines, just look at GT3 and the turbos, but the 944 engine was never designed to run boost. it was an afterthought, and they didn't know that much about the exotic materials they used.

i like the ls1 in a 944 too, but i think that the high prices are because you would have to have someone else do all the work like porting and shaving and machining, the work i'm talking about doing has to be done by someone with the money and tools to play around with a few of these engines and experiment, but you are still missing that it has to start out with a systematic list of exact deficiencies or its worthless, it has to be more than "they didn't know that much about the exotic materials they used."
Old 01-21-2009 | 10:21 PM
944J
Banned

Originally Posted by VOoDOoGTX
such a fun build to watch every month. that car is nuts.

oh and theres this one

http://www.youtube.com/v/SouJgGJliqg&hl=en&fs=1

to get the 1000whp with 5cylinders he's got a big turbo at 40psi ported head with custom parts that flows 280cfm what does the 944na, 951, 944s, 944s2, 968 heads flow?

you've got to think you can get 800whp with 4cylinders and the similar setup.
Old 01-21-2009 | 10:27 PM
CPR
Race Director

i like the ls1 in a 944 too, but i think that the high prices are because you would have to have someone else do all the work like porting and shaving and machining, the work i'm talking about doing has to be done by someone with the money and tools to play around with a few of these engines and experiment, but you are still missing that it has to start out with a systematic list of exact deficiencies or its worthless, it has to be more than "they didn't know that much about the exotic materials they used."
What Duke and the rest are trying to explain is that it cannot be done. PERIOD.

By the time you get the motor to the performance point you are referring to..it is, well...no longer the same motor. In any aspect.

And the reason no one (after 22 years of the car being around) "with money and tools" has done this is because they already know it is not feasible NOR cost effective. AND even if someone did create all these elaborate mods...99.9% of 944 owners couldn't afford them, so why make them?

Just my opinion.
Old 01-21-2009 | 10:44 PM
Lorax
The Impaler
Rennlist Member

Bob Norwood did 1000rwhp 968 motor for high output race motors but those cost a fortune to develop, went into a prototype race car, and were replaced/rebuilt after a few hours of track time.
Old 01-21-2009 | 10:52 PM
944J
Banned

Originally Posted by CPR
What Duke and the rest are trying to explain is that it cannot be done. PERIOD.

By the time you get the motor to the performance point you are referring to..it is, well...no longer the same motor. In any aspect.

And the reason no one (after 22 years of the car being around) "with money and tools" has done this is because they already know it is not feasible NOR cost effective. AND even if someone did create all these elaborate mods...99.9% of 944 owners couldn't afford them, so why make them?

Just my opinion.
if you cant even systematically list the exact deficiencies then you can't say if it can or can't be done, you are just parroting what other wannabes (yes i'm a wannabe too) like 99% of those on this board say, it takes someone like norwood to do this.
Old 01-21-2009 | 10:52 PM
944J
Banned

Originally Posted by Lorax
Bob Norwood did 1000rwhp 968 motor for high output race motors but those cost a fortune to develop, went into a prototype race car, and were replaced/rebuilt after a few hours of track time.
how do i get more info on this?
Old 01-21-2009 | 11:10 PM
Bri Bro
Addict
Rennlist Member

Doom II both raced and dragged and was well over 600HP.

https://rennlist.com/forums/4196463-post208.html
https://rennlist.com/forums/4197426-post219.html

Last edited by Bri Bro; 01-22-2009 at 12:03 AM.
Old 01-21-2009 | 11:26 PM
944J
Banned

Originally Posted by Brian Broderick
Doom II both raced and dragged and was well over 600HP.

https://rennlist.com/forums/4196463-post208.html
thats what i'm talking about...

When DOOM II was band by the PCA from Club Racing the decision was made to turn the car into an import drag car. With this set up we put down 936whp at 36psi the car was raced at 789whp at 32psi. Even detuned we experienced major stress factures in the block away from the cylinders.
so it looks like the vibrations of the 4 cylinder harmonics cause the block to breakup... i know there are ways to mechanically damp vibrations, maybe some internal bracing or external bracing.

im going to start a new post about this doom car...

Quick Reply: 20v 5cyl turbo 944 project