Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Safe to run Methanol inj @ 15PSI?

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-2007, 02:47 PM
CARNEXUS
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I know some Subaru guys running 35psi just with the methanol. I think the whole purpose of running methanol is reducing detonation, hens the term “chemical intercooling”.

I’m in the process of doing some homework on this subject, and every one I’ve talked to is raving about it. I’m most defiantly going with a meth system.

look at this kit http://www.snowperformance.net/products.php?p_cat=283

Last edited by CARNEXUS; 12-30-2007 at 03:59 PM.
Old 12-30-2007, 08:44 PM
95ONE
Race Car

changing to E-85 will probably give u the same results. just more consistently. take the$1k. buy management run e-85. better deal all the way around. cheaper per gal. also.
Old 12-30-2007, 09:01 PM
Rock
Lazer Beam Shooter
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by ehall
Hell, Rock can blow up a 944 just SAYING the word methanol.
Actually, its easier than that!

I just think the word menthol and BOOM! My car mysteriously slips a timing belt!
Old 12-30-2007, 09:27 PM
Tms951
Pro

the thing about methanol injection that is not safe is that it could run out of methanol or stop working for some reason. If this happens and you were relying on it you will get catastophic detonation. Methanol is better if you use it with, and tied into, a high boost turbo system when you add the extra PSI of boost for a short period of time it adds the methanol injection at the same time. If you are relying on it every time you go WOT throttle with a supercharged system you are running a fairly serious risk.
Old 12-30-2007, 09:35 PM
fastmover
Pro

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

I had the snow performance meth injection on my old 327 ci supercharged mustang putting out 610 hp/589 tq. it was triggered by a unit tied into the maf sensor, port was just before the t-body, and it had a led panel to show when it was active and when the meth level was low. I used a 50/50 water mix with washer fluid. I also ran a lot of timing under boost also, no deonation, But then again it used a stand alone engine management with some really good tunes on it. never blew a head gasket. (used cometics)
when I up the boost and start modding mine I will definatly use the snow performance kit again. Besides the overall octane rating of about 130 when used it also cools the intake air charge also.

Semper fi.
Old 12-31-2007, 10:58 AM
Fishey
Nordschleife Master

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Snow Performances kit isn't the best but atleast the pump looks decent. However, its safety isn't up to par a quick look at the fittings/lines/tank makes me wonder if the kit was ever made for meth at all as it simply isn't safe to do things the way they are doing them in there kits.

Also, ontop of everything else remember that alkycontrols is horrible.
Old 12-31-2007, 12:04 PM
V2Rocket
Rainman
Rennlist Member

Received 647 Likes on 501 Posts

i wouldnt be relying on the methanol, the car would normally just run on boost and pump gas.

the methanol injection would be for a kick once in a while.
Old 12-31-2007, 03:37 PM
Lorax
The Impaler
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by V2Rocket_aka944
i wouldnt be relying on the methanol, the car would normally just run on boost and pump gas.

the methanol injection would be for a kick once in a while.
Dude wHAT? You are talking about a SC applicatin right So by "kick everyonce in awhile" you mean pulling over, getting out your tools, changin the SC pulley, and then going for a ride? Methanol injection will offer 0 performance gains other than cooler intake charge, cooler in cylinder temps (if you are mixing it with water) and it will be SLIGHTLY chemically richer.

Basically the only performance that it offers is the ability to run more boost/timing. It's not nitrous.
Old 12-31-2007, 04:45 PM
BC
Rennlist Member

Received 82 Likes on 55 Posts

Spencer - just run the car totally on E85 - there is already one station down below the 8 on the 15, and there will be three more in 2008. 108 or so octane, no detonation at all to speak of, cooler combustion temps, and its cheaper. You have to richen the mixture to 6 or 8:1, and run more timing, but that wil get you way more power since you can run much higher boost. If 15 is "safe" then think more like 25.
Old 12-31-2007, 09:50 PM
fastmover
Pro

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Fishey
Snow Performances kit isn't the best but atleast the pump looks decent. However, its safety isn't up to par a quick look at the fittings/lines/tank makes me wonder if the kit was ever made for meth at all as it simply isn't safe to do things the way they are doing them in there kits.

Also, ontop of everything else remember that alkycontrols is horrible.

I can tell you that the snow kit is probally the best water/meth kit on the market. the plumbing is fine, it is no different then some of the plumbing used on even the 996 and 997 turbo, gt2's and gt3's. the push to lock plumbing is used for the p.s., and brake booster vacum supply's on newer porsches with no problems. the meth kit is not under high pressure, it is more volume delivery. you do not have to use the supplied resvoir (I agree it is on the cheap side) I would plumb the supply line to the windshield washer resvoir along with the level sensor for a much higher capacity. You do have to maintain the fluid level, and no it will not supply extra power like NOS, but it is a very good intercooler option that will allow you to run more timing and boost to make more power. I would use a multiple chip for diiferent tunes with and without meth tunes. I ran a system on the mustang called tweecer it was user programmable and it had 5 position switch for 5 different tunes that I was able to change on the fly. I also had no problems with the electronics of the kit.

Semper fi.
Old 01-01-2008, 07:53 PM
V2Rocket
Rainman
Rennlist Member

Received 647 Likes on 501 Posts

Originally Posted by BrendanC
Spencer - just run the car totally on E85 - there is already one station down below the 8 on the 15, and there will be three more in 2008. 108 or so octane, no detonation at all to speak of, cooler combustion temps, and its cheaper. You have to richen the mixture to 6 or 8:1, and run more timing, but that wil get you way more power since you can run much higher boost. If 15 is "safe" then think more like 25.
maybe if the ethanol station were in north county i could do it.

i should replace all my fuel lines soon anyways, any recommendations to something that could handle both regular gas and possibly ethanol?

i have 4 extra CME's so i could just set one up to run the ethanol and swap them depending on my mood...lol
Old 01-01-2008, 08:18 PM
Phil R
Instructor

Originally Posted by fastmover
I can tell you that the snow kit is probally the best water/meth kit on the market. the plumbing is fine, it is no different then some of the plumbing used on even the 996 and 997 turbo, gt2's and gt3's. the push to lock plumbing is used for the p.s., and brake booster vacum supply's on newer porsches with no problems. the meth kit is not under high pressure, it is more volume delivery. you do not have to use the supplied resvoir (I agree it is on the cheap side) I would plumb the supply line to the windshield washer resvoir along with the level sensor for a much higher capacity. You do have to maintain the fluid level, and no it will not supply extra power like NOS, but it is a very good intercooler option that will allow you to run more timing and boost to make more power. I would use a multiple chip for diiferent tunes with and without meth tunes. I ran a system on the mustang called tweecer it was user programmable and it had 5 position switch for 5 different tunes that I was able to change on the fly. I also had no problems with the electronics of the kit.

Semper fi.

What makes snowperformace the best? from what I've read It's a very basic set up with little protection against failure.

I have a friend that runs aquamist and it is far superior to anything I've seen on the market. they have some really cool stuff.

http://www.aquamist.co.uk/cp/cp.html
Old 01-01-2008, 08:19 PM
88BlueTSiQuest
Pro

Originally Posted by Lorax
Methanol injection will offer 0 performance gains other than cooler intake charge, cooler in cylinder temps (if you are mixing it with water) and it will be SLIGHTLY chemically richer.

Basically the only performance that it offers is the ability to run more boost/timing. It's not nitrous.
Actually.... The alcohol itself has a faster evaporation rate than water, which would allow it to pull the heat out faster than water. It is combustible, so you are adding more fuel to the mix which allows you to add more air(boost).

Remember, Nitrous in itself does nothing, it isn't a fuel source at all.. It merely breaks down to 2 parts of oxygen, and mixes with the fuel that also had to be sprayed in with it.

Then again, merely looking at your statement of 0 performance gains, is like saying that you don't notice any difference at all in the performance of you turbo car when you drive it in 30 degree temps as opposed to 100 degree temps.

Lets see a show of hands, who has felt the performance difference in their turbocharged cars when the weather turns cold?
Old 01-01-2008, 08:24 PM
Lorax
The Impaler
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by 88BlueTSiQuest
Actually.... The alcohol itself has a faster evaporation rate than water, which would allow it to pull the heat out faster than water. It is combustible, so you are adding more fuel to the mix which allows you to add more air(boost).

Remember, Nitrous in itself does nothing, it isn't a fuel source at all.. It merely breaks down to 2 parts of oxygen, and mixes with the fuel that also had to be sprayed in with it.

Then again, merely looking at your statement of 0 performance gains, is like saying that you don't notice any difference at all in the performance of you turbo car when you drive it in 30 degree temps as opposed to 100 degree temps.

Lets see a show of hands, who has felt the performance difference in their turbocharged cars when the weather turns cold?
You just dont really understand what im saying. Did you see where I mentioned having a cooler intake charge and being slightly chemical richer? cmon man its all there go re-read my post.

EDIT: and just because alchohol evaporates at a lower temp than water does not mean it cools better. Water has a higher evap temp but it dispells more energy when it evaporates.
Old 01-01-2008, 10:33 PM
DanD
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by CARNEXUS
Funny, Some of the pictures on this page are from my 951.

My .02. You'll need to adjust A/F and possibly timing as well as running methonal injection when you raise the boost pressure significantly.

Quick Reply: Safe to run Methanol inj @ 15PSI?