Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

951 and the GT-k turbo

Search this Thread

Old 09-25-2007, 01:48 PM
TurboTim
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by nize
tim; do you know what the average life expectancy of a turbocharger on an air-cooled 911 turbo is? i can guarantee you it's nowhere near the +200k miles it is on a 951.

That wasnt my point.My point was that engines themselves have run for many years with no watercooling. It was not about 911 turbos life expectancy. It is about turbos that were designed to not have watercooling still being reliabe and having a good lifespan.I have two Turbonmetics BB turbos on my 350Z with no watercooling and they have about 30k miles on them so far and are in perfect shape.These turbos are very low mounted and require a sump and pump for the oil drainage which is less the ideal.
Old 09-25-2007, 02:21 PM
nize
Banned

Originally Posted by TurboTim
That wasnt my point.My point was that engines themselves have run for many years with no watercooling. It was not about 911 turbos life expectancy. It is about turbos that were designed to not have watercooling still being reliabe and having a good lifespan.I have two Turbonmetics BB turbos on my 350Z with no watercooling and they have about 30k miles on them so far and are in perfect shape.These turbos are very low mounted and require a sump and pump for the oil drainage which is less the ideal.
all thing being equal, i think we can all agree that water cooled turbos have a longer lifespan than non-water-cooled turbos.

that was my point.
Old 09-25-2007, 02:39 PM
87944turbo
Rennlist Member

Received 30 Likes on 21 Posts

do you know what the average life expectancy of a turbocharger on an air-cooled 911 turbo is? i can guarantee you it's nowhere near the +200k miles it is on a 951.
I am curious, where did you learn that the average life expectancy of a 951 turbo is +200k miles?
Old 09-25-2007, 02:41 PM
nize
Banned

Originally Posted by 87944turbo
I am curious, where did you learn that the average life expectancy of a 951 turbo is +200k miles?
1) i've owned three 951's with stock turbos, one since new.
2) i have friends who are still running stock turbos.
Old 09-25-2007, 03:04 PM
BC
Rennlist Member

Received 82 Likes on 55 Posts

Whey is it that on the 951 board, when someone introduces a product, the other members feel it is required to take it upon themselves to disprove or criticize, instead of saying "Hey great"? -

You guy do understand that you all are driving 20 year old 4 cylinder cars right? And the people who support your habit are only here out of their own determination and wish to make money doing what they love? Why is there always some sort of argument?

Unless there is some sort of resurgence, your "support" from people like Tim, Lindsay, etc will disappear as your ranks reduce to a non-profitable number. They will move on to cars and arenas that will provide higher numbers of interested customers, where production was 100,000 a year instead of 100,000 total.

I'd say, be nice, and enjoy it while it lasts. Just some advice from a guy that has spent years scrounging parts from various here and there suppliers, so that I can put my car together the way I want it without having to buy a machine shop. When we get new products for the 928, we jump for joy at the prospect of something new and improved.

NO hard feelings, just a comment
Old 09-25-2007, 03:09 PM
nize
Banned

i'm actually very excited, and like i said initially;
Originally Posted by nize
can't wait to see the data.
Old 09-25-2007, 03:17 PM
porshhhh951
Monkeys Removed by Request
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by BrendanC
You guy do understand that you all are driving 20 year old 4 cylinder cars right? And the people who support your habit are only here out of their own determination and wish to make money doing what they love? Why is there always some sort of argument?
I dont know. I wish it was different.
Old 09-25-2007, 03:33 PM
George D
Drifting

Water cooled turbo's may will last longer than just oil cooled turbos. Please realize that these turbos are designed from the initial measurement to run DRY. I would never have the same turbo on my car for 50,000 miles. The stock turbos on my cars did not last very long at all, as I punished them running more boost than they were designed for.

My LR Super 75 had some nicks on the intake wheel after 15K. Sold it for 300bucks! I didn't want that turbo on my car. It was old technology, non BB and such.

In a few years, Porsche will probably release their VR turbos, or someone will come up with a similar product, and my GTK will be up for sale with less than 30K on it.

Running a dry turbo is no big deal. Many have them on their cars. My friends 1997 911TT has had them on his car for close to 80K with no issues. If you call many of the tuners, you will find that a larger percentage of the turbos that they sell and install are dry. I am not necessarily referring to the 951 community in this case. Turbonetics told me that 90% of the turbos that they sell are dry.

I'll admit that water cooling should add lifespan to a turbo. I change them out too soon to ever realize 100K out of a turbo.

We'll be doing the first GTK turbo on a 3.0 951. We'll post our findings and results here.

I'm doing this so this community can benefit from our findings and hopeful results.

Regards,

George

George
Old 09-25-2007, 03:55 PM
special tool
Banned

Whey is it that on the 951 board, when someone introduces a product, the other members feel it is required to take it upon themselves to disprove or criticize, instead of saying "Hey great"? -

Unless there is some sort of resurgence, your "support" from people like Tim, Lindsay, etc will disappear as your ranks reduce to a non-profitable number. They will move on to cars and arenas that will provide higher numbers of interested customers, where production was 100,000 a year instead of 100,000 total.

I'd say, be nice, and enjoy it while it lasts. Just some advice from a guy that has spent years scrounging parts from various here and there suppliers, so that I can put my car together the way I want it without having to buy a machine shop. When we get new products for the 928, we jump for joy at the prospect of something new and improved.

I think that's the smartest thing I've ever seen you write.
Old 09-25-2007, 04:28 PM
Porschefile
Three Wheelin'

+99

That's why this community has gone just about nowhere after 2 decades. Heck, even fugly cars like the Srt4 or Evo have accomplished a heck of a lot more. Sad but true. I'm surprised guys like Tim even put up with this community any more when they get so horribly flamed trying to bring out more products for the community. Have an open mind already, geez.
Old 09-25-2007, 04:41 PM
George D
Drifting

I remember when Lindsey Racing used to be here. They sometimes got flamed for trying to provide help for FREE! I remember when they made their last post about eight years ago. They told the community that the grief from being on this list was not worth the effort. They simply said goodby forever.

They didn't loose a nickle doing this, and saved much time helping folks. My friend that purchased my old 951 is building a full LR 3.0 motor for this car. He posted on Rennlist, and just got flack. He won't be back.

I'm too thick skinned and just don't give a **** what someone else says here unless it's to be helpful. I am choosing to share my motor build and hope that some of you learn something from our efforts. Tim is posting pictures because I've asked him to share with this community.

Lets just have fun.

George
Old 09-25-2007, 05:59 PM
333pg333
Rennlist Member

Received 97 Likes on 80 Posts

Originally Posted by gt37vgt
funny spelling mistake there Tim . was it the first 300zx ?that had an electric oil pup circulate after shut down . it is the still oil coking on the shaft that is the issue the oil needs to flow until the shaft is below coking temp surely oil tech is helping us these days.
i laugh at you then type cocking twice
...and you're having a go at Tim over spelling. lol
Old 09-25-2007, 06:02 PM
BC
Rennlist Member

Received 82 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by special tool
I think that's the smartest thing I've ever seen you write.

Ah, I'm just trying to butter up Tim for when I trailer my car over there and ask him if he will do an exhaust for me on a car he never sees, and has even less experience working on. We'll see.

No, but seriously, be nice to Tim. He's been around a while.
Old 09-25-2007, 06:05 PM
333pg333
Rennlist Member

Received 97 Likes on 80 Posts

Originally Posted by George D
Water cooled turbo's may will last longer than just oil cooled turbos. Please realize that these turbos are designed from the initial measurement to run DRY. I would never have the same turbo on my car for 50,000 miles. The stock turbos on my cars did not last very long at all, as I punished them running more boost than they were designed for.

My LR Super 75 had some nicks on the intake wheel after 15K. Sold it for 300bucks! I didn't want that turbo on my car. It was old technology, non BB and such.

In a few years, Porsche will probably release their VR turbos, or someone will come up with a similar product, and my GTK will be up for sale with less than 30K on it.

Running a dry turbo is no big deal. Many have them on their cars. My friends 1997 911TT has had them on his car for close to 80K with no issues. If you call many of the tuners, you will find that a larger percentage of the turbos that they sell and install are dry. I am not necessarily referring to the 951 community in this case. Turbonetics told me that 90% of the turbos that they sell are dry.

I'll admit that water cooling should add lifespan to a turbo. I change them out too soon to ever realize 100K out of a turbo.

We'll be doing the first GTK turbo on a 3.0 951. We'll post our findings and results here.

I'm doing this so this community can benefit from our findings and hopeful results.

Regards,

George

George
Well said George.
Old 09-25-2007, 06:10 PM
special tool
Banned

Ah, I'm just trying to butter up Tim for when I trailer my car over there and ask him if he will do an exhaust for me on a car he never sees, and has even less experience working on. We'll see.

No, but seriously, be nice to Tim. He's been around a while.

I agree - Tim is a great guy who does fantastik work.
Many things on my car were built by him.
He is also doing some work on a non-Porsche 4 digit HP project car for a friend and myself.
Attached Images  

Quick Reply: 951 and the GT-k turbo