Notices
944 Turbo and Turbo-S Forum 1982-1991
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Why do these cars make your clothes smell like fuel?

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-2007, 02:16 PM
George D
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Use double stick Scotch tape ONLY. You want something that will come off easily. It's just an idea to try. You shouldn't have funes coming into your car. Doesn't sound safe to me.

Good Luck,

George
Old 08-28-2007, 02:27 PM
DanaT
Three Wheelin'

My car also always smells like gas.

I have wondered if there is a seal in the gas tank filler area. Why I think this is that if the car is sitting in the hot sun, it smells like gas worse than when sitting in the garage. I shouldn't smell gas from a car that is just sitting.

I need to figure this out. My wife complains about it and rarely will get in the car. A girlfriend is too expensive when I calculate how much of my money the wife would take. So I think getting the car fixed is cheaper than getting a girlfriend that will ride in the car the way it smells.

-Dana
Old 08-28-2007, 02:33 PM
reno808
Rennlist Member

dan please explain a little more. thanks
Old 08-28-2007, 02:36 PM
ehall
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by tedwright
Elliot- are you saying the hatch seal or a bad gas cap?

The hatch glass was just resealed- and the rubber seal looks new-- I will maybe take george's advice with the stick tape.

Dan- can you give the details of exactly what you did and how you did it? I am going to try that as well.

Thanks for the tips, everyone.
The seal. Also check the window seals, that seal under the hood also. In the mean time keep the sunroof cracked open a bit and it will pull everything out.
Old 08-28-2007, 02:36 PM
cotton
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Both of the ones I've owned have been like this. it's worse with the windows cracked. Wish I could find a fix.
Old 08-28-2007, 02:41 PM
Rock
Lazer Beam Shooter
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Neither of my 951s did this

My Yellow N/a did this! Terribly!

Neither of my G/fs cars do this.
Old 08-28-2007, 02:44 PM
reno808
Rennlist Member

i know that a part of the reason why i am smelling fuel is because i know have an exhaust leak.
Old 08-28-2007, 02:59 PM
azbanks
Freedom Enthusiast
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by xsboost90
turns out there is a drain in the gas cap area that drains into the sunroof drain w/ a T on the ps. Cleaned out the drain real good- and it was fine after that. I guess the over flow gas was fuming out up near the sunroof or something since it couldnt drain.

FTW! That is the way I fixed my gas fume problem. It seemed very odd to me that the gas overflow and the sunroof overflow would be the same tube but they are. The "T" is right under the gas filler on the pasanger side. It is a pain to get to. It is a clear soft plastic hose.
Old 08-28-2007, 03:10 PM
reno808
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by azbanks
FTW! That is the way I fixed my gas fume problem. It seemed very odd to me that the gas overflow and the sunroof overflow would be the same tube but they are. The "T" is right under the gas filler on the pasanger side. It is a pain to get to. It is a clear soft plastic hose.
hmmmmmmmmmm i am going to look at that when i get home. Where exactly is it located?
Old 08-28-2007, 03:21 PM
azbanks
Freedom Enthusiast
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by reno808
hmmmmmmmmmm i am going to look at that when i get home. Where exactly is it located?

You've got to pull the passanger side hatch carpet and it is between/under the fuel tube to the tank and the fender. You do not need to pull off the metal cover over the gas tube.
If you look at your gas cap you will see a little black rubber drain hole right near the edge of the fender. That is the beginning of it. The rubber piece connects to the clear plastic hose that goes down behind the fender. That hose T's with the line coming down from the sunroof. The hose does not look robust enough to be a gas tube but it doesn't move much of it.
I should have taken pictures when I did mine.
Old 08-28-2007, 03:47 PM
reno808
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by azbanks
You've got to pull the passanger side hatch carpet and it is between/under the fuel tube to the tank and the fender. You do not need to pull off the metal cover over the gas tube.
If you look at your gas cap you will see a little black rubber drain hole right near the edge of the fender. That is the beginning of it. The rubber piece connects to the clear plastic hose that goes down behind the fender. That hose T's with the line coming down from the sunroof. The hose does not look robust enough to be a gas tube but it doesn't move much of it.
I should have taken pictures when I did mine.
If i find it i will take pics
Old 08-28-2007, 03:54 PM
theedge
Addict
Rennlist Member

Never happened on mine. When it had APE chips. And an open downpipe. And when I had the roof off and windows down for 10 hours of driving. And mine has over 200k miles on it

So youve got some other issue with yours.
Old 08-28-2007, 04:15 PM
xsboost90
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

if you pull the hatch carpet, then pull the rear portion of the carpet on the body loose on the ps, you will get easier access. Follow the sunroof drain hose from the quarter panel up into the space between the quarter panel and the wheel well. Way up inside there is a "T" that goes from the filler neck area to the sunroof drain. Real PITA to get to. I pulled that out and it seemed like the T wasnt even attached to the top side of the drain hose, hense the water in the quarter panel. I pulled the entire hose and let the water drain, then put the T back together and secured it w/ some zip ties or clamps can remember. The car seemed to quit smelling like gas after that, but it took alittle while for the smell to clear up completely.
Old 08-28-2007, 04:19 PM
reno808
Rennlist Member

Thanks dan one quick question what is the "PS"?
Old 08-28-2007, 05:30 PM
potent951turbo
iPod Tamer
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by reno808
Thanks dan one quick question what is the "PS"?
He means pass. side of the car.

Quick Reply: Why do these cars make your clothes smell like fuel?