Notices
944 Turbo and Turbo-S Forum 1982-1991
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Why do these cars make your clothes smell like fuel?

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-2007, 05:40 PM
reno808
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by potent951turbo86
He means pass. side of the car.
THank you sir
Old 08-28-2007, 07:23 PM
azbanks
Freedom Enthusiast
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by xsboost90
Real PITA to get to.
+5000

The car seemed to quit smelling like gas after that, but it took alittle while for the smell to clear up completely.
+5
Old 08-28-2007, 08:37 PM
Bullwings
Intermediate

I've been having the gasoline smell problem too. In fact, I like the way it smells, but then again i like the way clutch and rubber smells too. Everyone else in the family complains about it though.

I have the smell in my car when it's just sitting in the garage. But, when i take it out for a drive, if i have the windows up it smells just fine. However, if the windows are down, I can smell the gasoline, and if i push the car above 3500 rpm and more into boost range the smell gets stronger. Anyone else get this?
Old 08-28-2007, 08:42 PM
hosrom_951
UAE Rennlist Ambassador
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Never had my clothes 'smell' after a drive, ever......
Old 08-28-2007, 09:15 PM
xsboost90
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

sounds like your carbon canister may be bad or the lines that purge it- its located just in front of the drivers door under the fender.
Old 08-28-2007, 09:15 PM
Geneqco
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Bullwings
I have the smell in my car when it's just sitting in the garage. But, when i take it out for a drive, if i have the windows up it smells just fine. However, if the windows are down, I can smell the gasoline, and if i push the car above 3500 rpm and more into boost range the smell gets stronger. Anyone else get this?
I have the same thing ever since I put in a fuel rail and braided lines. I checked the fuel rail where the injectors connect with a sniffer and it's fine. My conclusion... it's the braided lines, they are somewhat porous... the car can just be sitting and will smell like fuel.

The solution... you can get a higher grade of braided line (I think it's teflon coated on the inside or something) that is not porous... it costs about twice as much which is why it's not generally supplied when you buy a kit. As soon as I get a chance, I'll replace mine - I hate doing and paying for things twice!
Old 08-28-2007, 11:38 PM
Guns951
Race Car

Who's complaining? Ever wonder why those groupies would lust after Steve McQueen? Because he smelled like that after driving his 917!!! Its what a guy should smell like, gasoline & burnt rubber.
Old 08-29-2007, 12:37 AM
xsboost90
Rennlist Member

i doubt braided lines would be Porus or have a smell if they arent leaking. Sounds like a problem w/ the charcoal canister either not being hooked up correctly, not venting correctly, or the hose from the tank to the canister is busted. Could be the vent thing for the filler as well but that usually just make the inside smell. Also check your gas cap. I had a turbo supra that i deleted the charcoal canister to put in a catch can- not alot of space under there- and after that it reaked of fuel while driving, sitting, whatever. Put the canister back on and it went away....i had it vented under the car naturally- its there for a reason obviously.
Old 08-29-2007, 12:46 AM
BlueRiver86
Nordschleife Master

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I've never noticed this.... sounds like quite a dilemma.
Old 08-29-2007, 01:25 AM
Bullwings
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Geneqco
I have the same thing ever since I put in a fuel rail and braided lines.
Yeah, I doubt that's my problem seeing as how I don't have braided lines.

And I really do love the smell of gasoline, burnt rubber, and clutch. The problem is that no one else does.

Nitro fumes from r/c cars smells awesome too.
Old 08-29-2007, 01:33 AM
Geneqco
Pro

i doubt braided lines would be Porus or have a smell if they arent leaking. Sounds like a problem w/ the charcoal canister either not being hooked up correctly, not venting correctly, or the hose from the tank to the canister is busted. Could be the vent thing for the filler as well but that usually just make the inside smell. Also check your gas cap. I had a turbo supra that i deleted the charcoal canister to put in a catch can- not alot of space under there- and after that it reaked of fuel while driving, sitting, whatever. Put the canister back on and it went away....i had it vented under the car naturally- its there for a reason obviously.
My car came without the charcoal canister ftom the factory and didn't have the problem until I replaced all the fuel lines. They definitely are porous when used with ULP - I checked with th supplier - I'm not saying everyone has tha same iddsue as me though. I know mine is not exhaust related because I have the issue with the car parked in the garage.
Old 08-29-2007, 01:48 AM
mfloren
Intermediate

y last 2 951's both smelled the same, fuel with a tinnt of burnt oil. my NA just stunk, not literaly.
Old 09-03-2007, 01:34 PM
boston951
Addict
Rennlist Member

There was a noticeable fuel odor in my car when purchased. I had the tank drained and an in-tank fuel screen replaced as well as the external fuel filter and fuel pump. The gasoline smell was gone. However, as soon as my hatch seal deteriorated (delaminated) I started to smell exhaust fumes. I am going to reseal the hatch in the near future.
Old 09-03-2007, 06:16 PM
Luis de Prat
Rennlist Member

No fuel smelling clothes from driving my 951 -and it's a cab!
Old 09-03-2007, 06:47 PM
Laust Pedersen
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

I have no such smell problem either, open or closed windows, in large part because I still have the evaporative gas purge system and a catalytic converter. Catalyzed exhaust is virtually odorless.

Quick Reply: Why do these cars make your clothes smell like fuel?