Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

1000 rwhp anyone?

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-2007, 02:00 AM
Driftomagnifico
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by evil 944t
The block will be locked up with a deck plate and pinned girdle. It will have a factory crank that is worked very little. I will just take off 5lbs or so. Arrow rods and custom pistons, It will have around 10:1 compression. It will also have a 5 stage dry sump set up to handle the oil pressure and the stock water pump will be removed and replaced with an external unit to help cool the head down.

The head will have everything replaced and it will be converted to a solid lifter head.

In all reality, 10k rpm's is not to bad with these 16v heads.
What does your piston crown profile look like? Relocated wrist pins? Sticking with steel wrist pins?

What are you looking to run for bearings? OEM trimetal will nuke at 10K as local bearing oil temps exceed their operational temp.

I would HIGHLY advise not to run a 10:1 ratio, your dynamic pressures are going to be a bit high for even race fuel. You might look into a second small sump that injects methanol along with the nitrous to aid as a secondary fuel source. If you need more dynamic compression you can always adjust your intake cam gear to shut the valve a bit sooner.

10K RPM isn't **** to these short stroke / mod length rod engines. I would advise using Cunningham's 296K PSI rod bolts, they hold up to captain insane-o amounts of RPM and are better than anything ARP stocks.

I would not run an ITB head. You will get better results with a single large throttle body because the individual plates become large sources of aero drag in the runner. They also create wake which can become turbulent at specific flow volumes.

PM me the turbo specs.
Old 05-08-2007, 02:00 AM
evil 944t
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by DanD
Do you have a boost number in mind?

Clamp that head on tight. What were the boost numbers on the old Formula 1 cars? They made big hp from less than 2ltrs.
3bar+

No Doom mainfold for me. It will have ITB's.

In the 80's they would run 1.5ltr 4 bangers and had anywhere form 1200-1500HP..
Old 05-08-2007, 02:10 AM
evil 944t
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Driftomagnifico
What does your piston crown profile look like? Relocated wrist pins? Sticking with steel wrist pins?

What are you looking to run for bearings? OEM trimetal will nuke at 10K as local bearing oil temps exceed their operational temp.

I would HIGHLY advise not to run a 10:1 ratio, your dynamic pressures are going to be a bit high for even race fuel. You might look into a second small sump that injects methanol along with the nitrous to aid as a secondary fuel source. If you need more dynamic compression you can always adjust your intake cam gear to shut the valve a bit sooner.

10K RPM isn't **** to these short stroke / mod length rod engines. I would advise using Cunningham's 296K PSI rod bolts, they hold up to captain insane-o amounts of RPM and are better than anything ARP stocks.

I would not run an ITB head. You will get better results with a single large throttle body because the individual plates become large sources of aero drag in the runner. They also create wake which can become turbulent at specific flow volumes.

PM me the turbo specs.
Just knock it off... Thanks for the insight but I need 9fitty1 style racing experience not bench racing.

You wait and see. I will post pics and you can re think you suggestions. This is not a Nissan. j/k But, I do welcome your or anyones suggestions.

This has been a well thought out motor. All my choices were not guesses, trial and error or theories I learned from the internet.

I have a reason every choice I made and I promise to explain them as the build continues.
Old 05-08-2007, 02:12 AM
ausgeflippt951
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by DanD
I too believe in higher compression ratio along with boost for track cars. But, not for high HP runners.
I believe you'll find that you can get more HP from lowering the CR and upping the boost even more.

Clamp that head on tight. What were the boost numbers on the old Formula 1 cars? They made big hp from less than 2ltrs.

See, that's what I was thinking. Lower that CR to a meager 8:1 and crank the **** outta that boost.

According to R&T, BMW in F1 ran as high as 5 bar absolute boost (or about 58 psi gage) to net 1500 hp from their mid-80's F1 car. But in race trim (making only 1250 hp) BMW ran just over 4 bar absolute (or about 43.5 psi gage).

And that was all w/ a dinky little 1.5L 4 (or V6, can't remember).

Apparently, Piquet (who raced BMW F1) also would race a Ford-powered, 1200hp car, and at NO time in the whole length of the race did he ever use full throttle!
Old 05-08-2007, 02:13 AM
DanD
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 3 Posts

I have a reason every choice I made and I promise to explain them as the build continues.
Looking forward to it. Push that envelope!
Old 05-08-2007, 02:41 AM
Guns951
Race Car

Good Luck Dave, get a blast shield for when you dyno it just in case. You can always build another motor, but not another you.
Old 05-08-2007, 03:11 AM
Driftomagnifico
Banned

Originally Posted by evil 944t
Just knock it off... Thanks for the insight but I need 9fitty1 style racing experience not bench racing.

You wait and see. I will post pics and you can re think you suggestions. This is not a Nissan. j/k But, I do welcome your or anyones suggestions.

This has been a well thought out motor. All my choices were not guesses, trial and error or theories I learned from the internet.

I guess building an engine that has already made big power over 10+K RPM doesn't qualify my knowledge. Oh wait, 951's are magical engines that come with their own set of physics developed by Porsche in magical pixie dust land.

What a joke. (cue in the ******* crew to tell me I don't know what I'm doing).
Old 05-08-2007, 03:24 AM
333pg333
Rennlist Member

Received 96 Likes on 79 Posts

C'mon Drifto don't always jump to paranoid conclusions. If Dave is confidant about making this happen just wait and see. As he said he's happy to hear yours and others ideas but you have to let people go their own way and do things the way they believe to be the best. Just like you would.
Oh and the nutcracker squad have been rather quiet of late you may have noticed. Maybe they'll resurface just in honor of you. lol
Old 05-08-2007, 03:26 AM
DDP
Rocket Scientist
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I guess building an engine that has already made big power over 10+K RPM doesn't qualify my knowledge. Oh wait, 951's are magical engines that come with their own set of physics developed by Porsche in magical pixie dust land.

YOU DON'T KNOW WHAT YOU'RE DOING.

Evil 944t needs my racing experience to build this motor, not the hopes and dreams of a drunk 15 year old ricer of your stature.
Old 05-08-2007, 03:27 AM
ausgeflippt951
Rennlist Member

I've noticed you're a very angry person, Drifto...

There are more than one way to build a high-performance engine, and just because someone disagrees w/ your tenets does not necessarily make them wrong.

That said, we have now entered a realm of automobiles about which I know too little (big-power engine building), so I will keep my mouth shut

Who knows, if evil 944t pulls this off, we'll have learned something valuable about engine building and maybe you won't be so quick to criticize in the future.
Old 05-08-2007, 03:28 AM
lart951
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 93 Likes on 55 Posts

Oh wait, 951's are magical engines that come with their own set of physics developed by Porsche in magical pixie dust land. .
Believe it or not you are right, these engine are cursed by the devil

Again correct, dude you are getting better twice right on the same thread. lol.
Old 05-08-2007, 03:32 AM
Driftomagnifico
Banned

Originally Posted by 9fitty1
YOU DON'T KNOW WHAT YOU'RE DOING.

Evil 944t needs my racing experience to build this motor, not the hopes and dreams of a drunk 15 year old ricer of your stature.
What's my stature got to do with it?

It's not like I told them about your **** virginity being lost to a 450 lb. bus driver from Memphis while he was on tier 16 of a level 42 powerdump.
Old 05-08-2007, 03:36 AM
Driftomagnifico
Banned

Originally Posted by ausgeflippt951
I've noticed you're a very angry person, Drifto...

There are more than one way to build a high-performance engine, and just because someone disagrees w/ your tenets does not necessarily make them wrong.

That said, we have now entered a realm of automobiles about which I know too little (big-power engine building), so I will keep my mouth shut

Who knows, if evil 944t pulls this off, we'll have learned something valuable about engine building and maybe you won't be so quick to criticize in the future.
I'm not an angry person, I'm a very honest and extroverted individual. Ask Travis, this is how I am in person haha.

I'm not being a critic, I want to know what he is doing so I asked questions. If he wants to take that as a personal attack then whatever.
Old 05-08-2007, 03:36 AM
ausgeflippt951
Rennlist Member

Back to the topic: evil, good luck! So when can we expect the first pics?????!
Old 05-08-2007, 03:37 AM
DDP
Rocket Scientist
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

What's my stature got to do with it?

It's not like I told them about your **** virginity being lost to a 450 lb. bus driver from Memphis while he was on tier 16 of a level 42 powerdump.
Leave Special Tool out of this one. He had nothing to do with this and his boyfriend Lart has been posting on this thread. You don't want Lart to part your car out.

Where's your N/A at? You're making assumptions about Dave's knowledge on the subject yet you're driving around an N/A? Dear lord. Get a clue. (I'm going to get killed for that one.)

Quick Reply: 1000 rwhp anyone?