Notices
944 Turbo and Turbo-S Forum 1982-1991
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

why do so many people in the 951 community hate other cars?

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-2007, 09:02 PM
porshhhh951
Monkeys Removed by Request
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default why do so many people in the 951 community hate other cars?

Its a honest question.

The posts as of late are really starting to surprise even me. If you can't appreciate something different than what you own that's you're problem but, why mask that disaproval behind obvious slanted opinions and call them facts?

Why is a 951 automatically sooo much better than a 500hp silvia? a supra? a modded corvette? Case in point the c6 zo6 vs 951 thread. We had people literally calling a 2007 model year car that costs 70k and can run the nurburgring in 7:43 bone stock! crap compared to a 951...

What exactly is it about our cars that makes them SOOO superior to everything thats out even today?

The reason im asking is cause I just don't get it. I hate being around ignorance and it just seems there's so much of it around here lately its oozing outta the ears of some car owners. How sad that people can't love cars for cars and appreciate all sorts of things. Instead they point a finger and call that car crap cause its not what they would buy or build.

Breaks my heart
Old 02-25-2007, 09:04 PM
Rock
Lazer Beam Shooter
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Look! The answer is simple!!! WE WERE THE FASTEST FIRST! We had speed down in 1986!
Old 02-25-2007, 09:05 PM
Rock
Lazer Beam Shooter
Rennlist Member

Personally I love other cars.

I love the swift, sexy curves of a Kia Sophia. I also love the awesome torque and passenger space of the Honda Odyssey!

Cant we all just get along?
Old 02-25-2007, 09:08 PM
Cory9584
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

New cars are ugly imo.
Old 02-25-2007, 09:12 PM
IMB951
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I think we are somewhat "ethnocentric" in a car manufacturer sense because of what Porsche has already accomplished in terms of thoroughbred sports cars. When we think of a Corvette, we aren't thinking about the completely separate engineering program that goes into each and every one of them... we think of General Motors and their boring, cookie cutter cars that they are famous for.

Same with Nissan and Toyota. Neither company has the sports car and racing history that Porsche has, so we assume that the engineering that went into the handful of sports cars that came from these other manufacturers must not have the same passion and expertise.

The exclusivity of the marque gets to our heads.
Old 02-25-2007, 09:23 PM
xsboost90
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

ive noticed after owning over 35 some cars in the past ten years or so, that whatever car you own is usually the best. If you have a Ford truck, then Chevrolets suck. If you have a Pontiac, then Fords suck. After owning quite a few ive realized that Porsche really has its stuff together, but i still like other cars. I think the 80's killed some of the appeal of the Corvette for some of us as the lack of power due to emissions and poor quality back then in general makes us think " how good could they be?" Nowadays Chevrolet among others are getting alot better and seeing the errors of their ways. New Corvettes rock as well as several others. My case, i root for the underdog so since my car is a 4cylinder instead of a turbocharged inline 6 or v8 brute, i feel i have a point to prove. My 20+ year old car w/ half the displacement will whoop you up, weather it be on the track or in my head.
Old 02-25-2007, 09:31 PM
SeanR
Rennlist Member

Received 500 Likes on 267 Posts

It usually stems from the 928 vs 951 debate, and then flows over to the rest of the world.

Once that ball is rolling.
Old 02-25-2007, 09:31 PM
Porschefile
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by TarHeel 944S
I think we are somewhat "ethnocentric" in a car manufacturer sense because of what Porsche has already accomplished in terms of thoroughbred sports cars. When we think of a Corvette, we aren't thinking about the completely separate engineering program that goes into each and every one of them... we think of General Motors and their boring, cookie cutter cars that they are famous for.

Same with Nissan and Toyota. Neither company has the sports car and racing history that Porsche has, so we assume that the engineering that went into the handful of sports cars that came from these other manufacturers must not have the same passion and expertise.

The exclusivity of the marque gets to our heads.
Actually, you might be surprised if you took an in depth look at other manufacturers. While Porsche has accomplished a lot, you'd be surprised at how involved companies like Nissan have been in racing and how they've also improved some of their cars through racing. The Skyline GTR has been racing for over 30yrs and improved through motorsports in a similar manner to the 911. There are plenty of other cars and manufacturers like that.

I think some people around here just need to experience other stuff and then they might have a bit more respect or appreciation for other cars. It's easy to blindly attack what you (speaking generally, no one in particular) don't know and dismiss it as inferior. Once more of us can get past this attitude, I think our community will progress and improve much more quickly. That's all I have to say on the matter.
Old 02-25-2007, 09:32 PM
ibkevin
Defending the Border
Rennlist Member

Rest In Peace

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Ummm, because we keep pulling reliable horses out of a 20yo platform? Which keeps our 8 cylinder brothers defensive... hehe, I could go on but I have an engine to tune.
Old 02-25-2007, 09:34 PM
Rock
Lazer Beam Shooter
Rennlist Member

I pwned a 928 in my grandmas running shoes! Damit sie nicht vom himmel fallen!
Old 02-25-2007, 09:40 PM
xsboost90
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

you wear your gma's running shoes?
Old 02-25-2007, 10:03 PM
BlueRiver86
Nordschleife Master

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I don't know why, but i'll certainly agree that people do it. Maybe its because its a Porsche. The reality is that owning a car worth 15k on a good day doesn't make you better than anyone else. lol.
Old 02-25-2007, 10:09 PM
Rock
Lazer Beam Shooter
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by xsboost90
you wear your gma's running shoes?
I had to- Had to give the 928s a fair chance!

OMG IM JAY KAY 928 guys! You know we love you!
Old 02-25-2007, 10:10 PM
RKD in OKC
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

It's called Human Nature.
Old 02-25-2007, 10:41 PM
Lanny Curlett
Burning Brakes

I love my car. There are other cars that are newer, faster, handle better and are more reliable. I've owned some and will again but for pure fun, grunt, looks, curb appeal, some prestige and the fun of modding, maintaining and wrench fun I love my car. I would not want it as a DD but as a hobby car I just really enjoy it. An STi is awsome, if you can't appreciate an Enzo, you're just dead and some of the 911 iterations are literally awesome cars. For bang for the buck I love my car. Is it a super car compared to lots of others? Not really but still it really IS the most bang for the buck and it will run with a lot of newer cars all day long. I love my car.

Quick Reply: why do so many people in the 951 community hate other cars?