Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Official Gulf Porsche 944 GTR Turbo Project Thread **Pics Updated Today Jan 5**

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-2007, 02:37 AM
Guns951
Race Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Back on Track!

Okay! Well we're back on track and getting somewhere quick!

Body was blasted and since we've changed direction to strip the entire car to include every last bit of wiring, bolts, you name it...its all going away!

Every last hole in the engine compartment is being welded shut and smoothed over along with all "ugly" indentations and other such nonsense. To quote Brooks,"I like it when I open a hood and just see the motor, some plug wires and a beautifully smooth engine bay" so they have full artistic license to beautiful the firewall and remaining sheet metal remaining after they cut off the front tub in front of the strut towers.

Aluminum will be laid after they tube the rear floor area deleting the rear seat indentations, and the floor pan will be welded and smoothed out as to create a sleek interior.

The rear fenders are going to be cut off completely with a small aluminum rock gaurd placed in front of the rear tires to stop rock from being thrown forward and up and damaging the quarter panel, however the area behind the rear tires will be left open for exiting air to flow freely back and out into the ending air stream.

A full cage that is welded to the chassis tracing the contour of the body along the roof and down the A pillars will be fabricated and installed so the cage will "disappear" into the body and not pose a brain splitting hazard if I don't have a helmet on.

Enough talk for now, here's the pics!!!!!!

Progressing through the pictures you can see the stuff coming off the car, according to Brooks the fenders were a pain and a half to remove
Fresh from the blast shop

Before major mayham begins!

Clean Slate

Butt Shot, you can see the door in the background...

Too much stuff to come off!

Before the major stuff starts

Look ma! No blower!............

and no intake hard pipe, power steering, intercooler.....................

The new rims that are oh so tasty (but will be replaced with Dymags when centerlocks are fabricated) These will be used for roller and relative fitment purposes

Now THIS is a tire!
Old 02-10-2007, 07:16 AM
JonH
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for sharing! Your going to have one hell of an album when this is done.
Old 02-10-2007, 07:26 AM
Guns951
Race Car

Also I ordered 4 aluminum louver panels from The 928 Motorsports guys to go on either side of the hood indentations so that i'll have roughly 3.5 feet of louvers on either side of the hood (I ordered the 24" long ones) to let air escape to both cool the motor as well as relieve the high pressure zone on the hood which should translate to better stability at top end (projected to be well over 200mph).
Old 02-10-2007, 11:34 AM
Darwantae951

Received 25 Likes on 21 Posts

WOW! Those are some nice pics! Glad to see the car is coming along! I can't wait to see what your engine bay will look like, and when you get those center locking hubs...then I'll be REALLY jealous!

-Darwin
Old 02-10-2007, 11:56 AM
evil 944t
Rennlist Member

Guns, to get a tight cage in there, you may consider removing the roof panel. YOu won't be able to weld the tops of the cage if your welding it in place.
I don't know if you have a sunroof or delete but you can cut it off, weld the cage in and fiberglasss the roof for wieght savings.
Old 02-10-2007, 12:06 PM
daigo
Burning Brakes

Why not just run a whole glass roofskin? Saving weight up there is the best place to shed it from.
Old 02-10-2007, 12:08 PM
RolexNJ
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Guns: That is looking so nice! I am glad to see you are having them taking photos for you so you can document your whole project. This is going to be one hell of a car when it's done. Thanks for the new pics and updates. And if you can, post a photo of the exact Dymag rims you are looking to get?

Old 02-10-2007, 12:24 PM
420WHP944
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Those are great pics of the car in its current state - Lookin good!
Old 02-10-2007, 12:54 PM
BlueRiver86
Nordschleife Master

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Wow. The hood shocks look funny just sticking up.. hah.
Old 02-10-2007, 05:30 PM
billthe3
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Whats up with the rear window being so out-of-whack? Wait, did you said you were doing a plastic rear window?
Old 02-10-2007, 06:21 PM
MPD47
The Carnage King
Rennlist Member

Looks great
Old 02-10-2007, 07:01 PM
GOSANE
Banned

After taking apart Gabriels 951 over the last couple of days, I must say how blown away I am by the build quality and typical Porsche engineering that went into the car.

I work on many different makes of cars and can honestly say that they don't make them like this any more.

If any of you guys want a special picture taken during this project or have a question relating to the process I'll do my best to accommodate you.

BTW, I'm having a blast.

Lynn
Old 02-10-2007, 07:03 PM
GOSANE
Banned

Originally Posted by billthe3
Whats up with the rear window being so out-of-whack? Wait, did you said you were doing a plastic rear window?
It's the old Lexan window (to be replaced) with a prop rod only on one side.
Old 02-10-2007, 07:09 PM
Lorax
The Impaler
Rennlist Member

Keep up the good work! And keep those pictures coming!
Old 02-10-2007, 10:18 PM
Guns951
Race Car

Thanks Lynn, I couldn't be happier with the progress and pictures you're taking.

Just so everyone knows, the Martin Brothers shop has catered to my every wish and direction change without missing a beat - these guys really are the very best.

Rob: I'll try to get a pic up soon.

On the fiberglass roof, I've been hesitating slightly as it was a stock non sunroof car and I wanted to keep that rarity on the car, also it won't crack over time and even though fiberglass is lighter I'm looking at saving maybe 8 lbs up top. Plus with them shaving the drip rail and welding in a new section to smooth it out, it just wouldn't work out with a fiberglass roof.

If the roof has to be cut out to weld the cage in that will be done to do it right, but it will be put right back in

Quick Reply: Official Gulf Porsche 944 GTR Turbo Project Thread **Pics Updated Today Jan 5**