Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

UK 3.2 Turbo hits the road

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-2007, 10:41 AM
tommo951
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Paul,

It is so tempting mate, but you know what its like if the green monster gets on your shoulder and you think lets just give it a bit more.... got to show that *^%* in that EVO. Then its boom boom boom everybody say weyho weyho....... and a trip to the bank manager later................ If I was in your shoes i would get the MAF on now. The trouble is you can't roll the clock back later... well economically speaking. You have built one hell of a ride mate!

Cheers
Tom
Old 01-20-2007, 11:10 AM
indi9xx
Advanced

Hi Paul,

With the track day...

1. Keep the boost down where it is.
2. Dont use more than 3000 rpm or any boost until the oil has had a chance to get up to temp
3. Keep the max rpm as 5000 rpm, with max peak to bellow 5500
4. keep an eye on the temp...
5. Try to keep her to sessions of 10 or 15 mins of fun, with 5 mins of warm up and cool down either side of the fun.
6. Please dont use slicks

You seem to be quite a smooth driver, so I am less worried than I would with some drivers.

My worry with the engine, is that at the moment the ignition map in particular is no where near correct for your engine. Which was ok for running in the engine, but now we are past that, it needs sorting out... Without it being right, as well as loosing power, its not being kind to your valves, piston rings and several other components exposed to combustion and exhaust gas temps. This could drasticly reduce your engine lifespan.

The AFR is amazingly good for being the wrong chip for the car.. .which means at least your not going massively lean... but its still not right... I doubt your AFR will kill your engine, but it not being optimal may be reducing the overall life of your engine slightly.
Old 01-20-2007, 11:17 AM
indi9xx
Advanced

Tommo is being the voice of reason and is quite right.

If you want to be really safe, get the MAF now, once its on, run a lower boost level so you can get used to it, and over time you can increase the boost as you wish.

If you want to get a MAF before the track day, I am prepared to help out on the cost as offered before or pay for your track day so you can have your cake and eat it.

Dont everyone expect me to be so generous though... I am still in the christmas spirit, good will to all men etc.. But I have my limits and a business to run!
Old 01-20-2007, 12:11 PM
RolexNJ
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by indi9xx
Tommo is being the voice of reason and is quite right. If you want to be really safe, get the MAF now, once its on, run a lower boost level so you can get used to it, and over time you can increase the boost as you wish. If you want to get a MAF before the track day, I am prepared to help out on the cost as offered before or pay for your track day so you can have your cake and eat it.
Very wise words Jon and Tom. I hope Paul listens to you guys and gets the parts that he needs to run his safely and without any concerns at all. I know we would all feel much better if he did. So Paul if you are reading this, listen to these guys.

Old 01-20-2007, 01:43 PM
Diver944
Pro

3. Keep the max rpm as 5000 rpm,
6. Please dont use slicks
Oooooh party pooper, that doesn't sound like fun

If you want to get a MAF before the track day, I am prepared to help out on the cost
You're the man I'll be calling you Monday morning

Rolex has swapped many emails with me extolling the flexibility of the Vitesse kit and that it will cope with whatever psi I set it to. So I will stick to a low starting point for me to get used to the car on track and then build it up over time with the confidence that the fuelling stays in step
Old 01-20-2007, 01:46 PM
reno808
Rennlist Member

Follow Rolex's idea its a wise one. The last thing you want is to feel all the boost all at once unexpectlly and hitting somthing and then wrecking your awsome car.
Old 01-20-2007, 04:25 PM
indi9xx
Advanced

Sorry to be a pooper Paul,

The not using slicks one is a general running recommendation we give for 944's.... from previous experiences (in particular race cars with pure race suspension though), a dry sump is the only way we can garauntee against oil surge.

With the MAF kit, before you get your hopes up, I am not offering to pay for all of it! Just offering to contribute to the cost of it either directly with a fixed amount, or a even higher amount credited to your account against future servicing or repairs.

We have a lot of development costs, heartache, blood, sweat and tears within your engine, so its in our interests to help you get her right
Old 01-20-2007, 06:38 PM
tommo951
Burning Brakes

Paul,

John has great products that work, he is a top bloke too. Could be time to get some octane booster too. I have a 55litre tank of Millers which I got a very advantagous price on, this would do you many many track days and give you piece of mind on the road.
Thats a great car mate, hope to get a ride later in the year!

cheers
Tom
Old 01-22-2007, 12:52 AM
RolexNJ
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by Diver944
I'll be calling you Monday morning. Rolex has swapped many emails with me extolling the flexibility of the Vitesse kit and that it will cope with whatever psi I set it to. So I will stick to a low starting point for me to get used to the car on track and then build it up over time with the confidence that the fuelling stays in step
Well Monday is almost here in the US, make that call mate and let us know what happens! Get those parts installed on the car Paul!

Old 01-22-2007, 07:10 PM
Diver944
Pro

Well it's official. The Vitesse MAF and PB have just been ordered

Now where do I get one of those Vitesse logos to put in my signature
Old 01-22-2007, 07:22 PM
RolexNJ
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Well it's official. The Vitesse MAF and PB have just been ordered. Now where do I get one of those Vitesse logos to put in my signature.
Wow, congrats Paul on getting your goodies for your car mate! Trust me, you will be very happy you did, and so will your car and mechanic John too!!! And the VR logo? Which one are you talking about? And don't forget to take some nice photos of your parts when you get them too.

You chose wisely Grasshopper...

Old 01-22-2007, 07:42 PM
Diver944
Pro

I have to admit I'm a little bit excited now

Anyway to pass the time while I wait for the kit to arrive I fitted a new reflective logo to the standard rear spoiler from http://www.highgatehouse.co.uk/

During the day it is plain white but at night it glows in the lights of following cars. I hope these pics can show the difference between day and night:

Name:  P1010001.jpg
Views: 46
Size:  60.9 KB

He also does them in red and blue, I'm thinking blue would have been better for my car
Old 01-22-2007, 07:51 PM
RolexNJ
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

I have to admit I'm a little bit excited now. Anyway to pass the time while I wait for the kit to arrive I fitted a new reflective logo to the standard rear spoiler from http://www.highgatehouse.co.uk/ During the day it is plain white but at night it glows in the lights of following cars. I hope these pics can show the difference between day and night. He also does them in red and blue, I'm thinking blue would have been better for my car.
The car looks great Paul, and you should be excited as hell! I just sent you a PM too mate, so read it. Anyway, the sticker looks neat. I think either white or blue would look good. And I know who sells those, thats Rick, ha! I saw his site a while ago, he has really extended his product line too. He has some nice graphics.

Anyway, how long will it take for the VR stuff to get to you guys over there? Also, what size injectors do you have now, and are you staying with them too?

Old 01-23-2007, 12:22 PM
Diver944
Pro

Originally Posted by RolexNJ
Anyway, how long will it take for the VR stuff to get to you guys over there? Also, what size injectors do you have now, and are you staying with them too?
I know that when Tony (UK952) ordered his VR MAF he had it in his hand within a week of of ordering, which was just FANTASTIC. The 3.2 uses a bigger sized MAF so I suppose it all depends if John has one in stock and how long it takes to program the software. However long it takes I know it will be like installing an extra 'Flux Capacitor' and I am already acclimatising my head for the extra G Force blood rush. My neighbours seem to think I am a bit odd by hanging upside down from my kids garden swing but hey, it's got to help with the blood flow

I currently have 72lb injectors which should be plenty sufficient for my maximum boost level

BTW here is a new pic of the latest cosmetic addition - the ubiquitous clear indicators conversion. I don't think it looks as good as it does on my wifes black S2, but one of the orange originals had a crack so something had to be done

Name:  clear.jpg
Views: 54
Size:  59.0 KB
Old 01-23-2007, 01:01 PM
Olli Snellman
Race Car

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Paul,
saw you have a Ring sticker on your car, what's your best BTG time ?

Quick Reply: UK 3.2 Turbo hits the road