Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Turbo Pistons found for 968 engine!

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-2006, 05:53 PM
Duke
Nordschleife Master

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts

Hell, they might even manufacture domestic cars in the US, so why don't you buy one of these instead

Seriously though, imho the interesting part here is if the Wössner pistons are coated or not and what type of coating. If they're coated I can't see any reason to pay almost double up from a set of coated JE's.
Old 12-06-2006, 06:26 PM
Chris White
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist Small
Business Sponsor

Received 36 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by Porschefile
These pistons are roughly twice what a custom set would be from a domestic manufacturer...
Nobody asked me about price yet!…I can supply Wossner pistons for the same price as JE pistons. The main difference is the base forging design. Neither manufacturer makes a forging exactly for our cars, they take one that is close and then final machine it to specs. The design of the Wossner base forging allows it to be lighter.

The catch? I haven’t tested any. The y look good but that’s not the same as putting a couple thousand hard miles on one!

Any guinea pigs in the audience? I can get you a decent deal if you want to try some out.
Old 12-06-2006, 06:45 PM
RajDatta
Rennlist Member

Received 22 Likes on 14 Posts

Chris, I have a friend who is going the 16 valve 3.0 liter route. We are not too far away in NJ. If it makes sense, we could test it out. We might be a few months away from doing it though.
BTW, I was hoping you could give your opinion on the dish shape of the wossner, for that matter the 2.5 turbo pistons compared to the Mahle turbo pistons.
Thanks.
Raj
Old 12-06-2006, 07:07 PM
Porschefile
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Chris White
Nobody asked me about price yet!…I can supply Wossner pistons for the same price as JE pistons. The main difference is the base forging design. Neither manufacturer makes a forging exactly for our cars, they take one that is close and then final machine it to specs. The design of the Wossner base forging allows it to be lighter.

The catch? I haven’t tested any. The y look good but that’s not the same as putting a couple thousand hard miles on one!

Any guinea pigs in the audience? I can get you a decent deal if you want to try some out.

Sweet! I saw the ~$1300 price listed on the first page and just assumed that's the typical price. I guess we all know what they say about assuming things. Sorry about that Chris. That is great that you can get them for a comparable price. Is there a significant decrease in weight from JE's? Every little bit counts at least. Are the Wossner pistons forged with a stronger alloy possibly, and if so do you happen to know what alloy? I'm still considering just starting with an S2 motor for my build, and using some of these coupled with stock sleeves is an interesting idea.

Sorry, it also completely slipped my mind that Markus isn't in the US, so that is definitely a plausible reason to consider going with something more "local".
Old 12-06-2006, 07:08 PM
RolexNJ
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I know someone who "may" be interested. PM and I'll discuss the details of this guy. He's a little whacky though and has OCD too.

Old 12-06-2006, 07:40 PM
Chris White
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist Small
Business Sponsor

Is there a significant decrease in weight from JE's? Every little bit counts at least.
about 100 grams!!

Are the Wossner pistons forged with a stronger alloy possibly, and if so do you happen to know what alloy?
They have a couple different alloys - I am waiting to see their recommendation.

Last edited by Chris White; 12-06-2006 at 08:18 PM.
Old 12-06-2006, 08:03 PM
RolexNJ
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

[QUOTE=Chris White]
Is there a significant decrease in weight from JE's? Every little bit counts at least. About 100 grams!!

They have a couple different alloys - I am waiting to see their recommendation.
When you find out, please let us know thanks.

Old 12-06-2006, 08:20 PM
RolexNJ
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

[QUOTE=Chris White][QUOTE=Porschefile]Is there a significant decrease in weight from JE's? Every little bit counts at least.

about 100 grams!!

They have a couple different alloys - I am waiting to see their recommendation
Hello? Repost thats messed up? LOL. I get the point. 100 grams lighter than a set of J&Es. Is that per each piston too? Does that weight saving apply to 8V and/or 16V too, or just one? Not that I care about an 8V, sorry.

Old 12-06-2006, 09:01 PM
Chris White
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist Small
Business Sponsor

Its about 100 grams each, it varies with exact design (i use about 12 differnt types!)
Old 12-06-2006, 09:04 PM
RolexNJ
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Its about 100 grams each, it varies with exact design (i use about 12 differnt types!)
100 grams each, wow! Where do I sign up --->
Old 12-06-2006, 09:33 PM
Konstantin
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

good luck with Wössner.
no it is not new
yes I have seen destroyed engines.
ny my mechanic do not recomend them. maybe they are better now.
last year told me about no coating
I have seen 3.8L RSR engine destroyed. yes they has W....r pistons

It is amazing how much MISS infomation exist on the Internet today.
back in the old Email list list most people knew what they said and thoght before they post to rennlist mail.
buy it. try it and let us know

Konstantin
Old 12-06-2006, 09:39 PM
Chris White
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist Small
Business Sponsor

Can you tell me a little more about the failure? I have been looking for some feedback and the only thing I am hearing is about coatings….and since a sleeve the blocks this does not concern me.

Any historical info would be appreciated!!

Originally Posted by Konstantin
good luck with Wössner.
no it is not new

back in the old Email list list most people knew what they said and thoght before they post to rennlist mail.

Konstantin
Old 12-06-2006, 09:58 PM
Konstantin
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

964 3.8 L RSR engine with w...r pistons run 1000 km then it gone. we put Mahle original and works for 3 years now.
you know what cylinders use the 964 engine dont you?
Old 12-06-2006, 11:34 PM
theedge
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Wow 100 grams! Im tempted but im scared of being a ginuea pig

Whats the price difference between the Wossners and the JEs?
Old 12-07-2006, 03:56 AM
Markus951
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Konstantin, my statement was made according to the answer from Wössner. I specificly asked for pistons what would work with alusil bore. Their answer was that they can do it and they have done it before for 968 engine! Therefore I thought I share some information with you guys.... Of course I cannot speak about real life experience and I have to relay what experts have to say about it. If they claim that they can do it then I think thats true! I think their design/weight/price ratio is pretty good! And there is alot of info in this forum how those pistons do not excist.

Now when we speak about it there is another options as well. Lindsey Racing claimes to be an exclusive seller for 2.5 liter pistons from Wiseco Product line and they will work with alusil bore using the same 4032 forging as Mahle Motorsport.

They are listed in their http://www.lindseyracing.com/Merchan...ry_Code=WISECO

I checked with wiseco can they make a custom set of low compressratio 968 pistons for me using the same technology what they have used to create pistons for Lindsey Racing. Their answer was that they can do it and sell it to me with chrome OEM porsche ring set. If Lindsey have tested out wisecos work in 2.5 liter blocks I do not see the reason why they should not work on 3.0 liter blocks! Dont you agree?

Chris,

What about those pictures about 968 pistons. Also does anyone know how think is the dome area on 968 pistons. Can you remove some material from them?

good luck with Wössner.
no it is not new

Konstantin

Quick Reply: Turbo Pistons found for 968 engine!