Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Turbo Pistons found for 968 engine!

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-2006, 11:36 AM
Ken D
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 80 Likes on 65 Posts

How do these compare with the 104.5mm Mahle pistons for use in Alusil-bore 16v applications? As offered by HMR.
Old 12-06-2006, 11:40 AM
RolexNJ
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Ken D
How do these compare with the 104.5mm Mahle pistons for use in Alusil-bore 16v applications? As offered by HMR.
I was hoping you could enlighten us, as I know that "Raj" refers to you quite often? And your home page link doesn't work too.
Old 12-06-2006, 11:44 AM
RajDatta
Rennlist Member

Received 22 Likes on 14 Posts

What I find interesting in the picture is the dish design difference between the 8 valve piston in the pictures and the one Mahle built for the 968 turbo engine. I would think Mahle piston has the better design because it takes into account the combustion chamber design of the head.
Would like to hear what the experts have to say.
Raj
Old 12-06-2006, 11:51 AM
RolexNJ
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by Chris White
I have been talking to Mr. Wossner about the technical details and I will meet with him next week (along with Karl at the Racers Edge).

I hope to be trying some out soon as long as we can iron out all the technical details. I don’t do much with stock (ausil) bores – mostly sleeved motors so I don’t have much info on the coatings – but I will ask him when I see him.

They do look like a nice design for race use and they are a lot lighter than stock.
Let us know what you find out from these experts. And Mr. Wossner himself? Wow, that's big cheese too!

Old 12-06-2006, 12:22 PM
Ken D
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 80 Likes on 65 Posts

Originally Posted by RolexNJ
I was hoping you could enlighten us, as I know that "Raj" refers to you quite often? And your home page link doesn't work too.
W.r.t Raj, you must be confusing me with someone else.
I can't enlighten, as I'm not familiar with the Wossner pistons; although I did see that Karl (Racer's Edge) is advertising them.
Old 12-06-2006, 12:25 PM
RolexNJ
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by Ken D
W.r.t Raj, you must be confusing me with someone else.
I can't enlighten, as I'm not familiar with the Wossner pistons; although I did see that Karl (Racer's Edge) is advertising them.
Hummm. My bad then. Sorry

Cheers.

EDIT: I guess I figured by the the thread below, that you had extensive knowledge on various CR ratios, approaches, and pistons too? Again, my sincere apologies, no harm intended.

https://rennlist.com/forums/944-turbo-and-turbo-s-forum/314967-reducing-compress-ratio-with-shorter-con-rods.html

Post # 10 & 11
Old 12-06-2006, 03:49 PM
Porschefile
Three Wheelin'

Hmm. Not to be a nay-sayer or anything, but I haven't heard of any "revolutionary" aspects of Wossner's pistons. There are plenty of manufacturers here in the US who build excellent quality pistons, and there are plenty of actual long lasting coatings/coating processes that can be used as well. It's been awhile and I vaguely remember the whole ordeal with that particular set of coated pistons and the retailer behind it. However, I have to say that those pistons look like the skirts were just rattle canned black! Seriously though, unless there is some major innovation or technical processes that provide some worthwhile differences with Wossner pistons over the typical domestic stuff, are we maybe just paying for the "exotic" name as if that will automatically make it "better"? These pistons are roughly twice what a custom set would be from a domestic manufacturer, so I'd like to know how they are twice as good?
Old 12-06-2006, 03:55 PM
RolexNJ
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

So help us? Do us a favor and do some research. Test the S2 head versus the 968. Do back to back tests of Weisco, Mahle, J&E, Wossner (who?) and let the class know what you find out, ok?

Class dismissed...

Old 12-06-2006, 04:21 PM
pk951
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Porschefile
Hmm. Not to be a nay-sayer or anything, but I haven't heard of any "revolutionary" aspects of Wossner's pistons. There are plenty of manufacturers here in the US who build excellent quality pistons, and there are plenty of actual long lasting coatings/coating processes that can be used as well. It's been awhile and I vaguely remember the whole ordeal with that particular set of coated pistons and the retailer behind it. However, I have to say that those pistons look like the skirts were just rattle canned black! Seriously though, unless there is some major innovation or technical processes that provide some worthwhile differences with Wossner pistons over the typical domestic stuff, are we maybe just paying for the "exotic" name as if that will automatically make it "better"? These pistons are roughly twice what a custom set would be from a domestic manufacturer, so I'd like to know how they are twice as good?
Good point, lots of good stuff over here.
Old 12-06-2006, 04:25 PM
RolexNJ
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by pk951
Good point, lots of good stuff over here.
Old 12-06-2006, 04:32 PM
Olli Snellman
Race Car

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Since some of us are living in Europe, european pistons are more than interesting ones compared to US pistons. Mainly because getting US pistons here usually means extra transportation costs, customs fees, taxes etc. So, if we can get a quality product from the other EU country it will spare some €€€€€€€
Old 12-06-2006, 04:40 PM
pk951
Burning Brakes

How much do piston weight? Here you can check out shipping cost http://pe.usps.gov/text/Imm/Immctry.html

If vendor is willing mark lower price cost on box, you will pay less in taxes no?
Old 12-06-2006, 04:48 PM
Olli Snellman
Race Car

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Of course lower price = less cost. On the other hand if i buy stuff for example from Germany the payment is real easy, i just transfer money from my account into sellers account using internet. Dealing with US vendor means usually hassle with credit cards, sending money to US banks from Europe takes lot of time and is very expensive. Also if there is any warranty issues, it's much more easier deal inside Europe. I have used earlier many top quality US pistons, for example Wiseco, Arias etc. and have been satisfied, other EU countries are just closer to me.
Old 12-06-2006, 05:05 PM
pk951
Burning Brakes

Makes sense Olli .
Old 12-06-2006, 05:14 PM
Raceboy
Three Wheelin'

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

Bit of OT, but Olli, it's possible to wire transfer via Internet from Europe to US with normal fee, that is something like 5 eur per transfer. That is when the beneficiary is willing to pay 5 eur too. But, you can transfer 5 eur worth of $ also and be done with it
I just paid yesterday 600$ for G31 snailshell and 931 head and it should show up in US in app. 1 week.
Though, taxes are out of this world....

Quick Reply: Turbo Pistons found for 968 engine!