Notices
944 Turbo and Turbo-S Forum 1982-1991
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Millege intake, anyone have experience with it?

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-2006, 10:57 PM
Driftomagnifico
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by DFASTEST951
Sounds good but I'm nervous about the reliability of the Garrett. Heard tons of horror stories. None from VR Turbos. Input?...
I run that same turbo and have put down over 600whp @ 1.5 BAR, granted I am using a completely different engine.

The number one thing that causes GT turbos to fail in a short time is overpressurization of the oil. They are specified to run around 40 PSI maximum under top load. About 90% of the cars out there are using journal bearing turbos which can run slightly higher oil pressures. You reduce pressure at the turbo by running an inline restrictor. Alot of people think that the OEM restrictor in some of the GT series turbos is sufficient which is an incorrect assumption for some setups. As with anything, do the math or pay someone that can.

VR Turbos are a small niche market. Garrett is ran in numerous forms of motorsports, it's what you'll find on cars running deep in the single digits in drag racing, open wheel racers, rally cars, and on NUMEROUS OEM's.

Garrett also posts 100% of their info regarding the GT series. If you don't know something you can talk to an engineer there. You don't have to know the secret handshake to have everything you need at your fingertips. I'd much rather support someone that is confident enough to put it all out there.

If you'd like you can PM me and I'll help you choose a Garrett turbo that would fit your needs. I'm not a supplier nor am I affiliated with one so the response you'd get is straight and concise.
Old 10-18-2006, 11:29 PM
RolexNJ
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Chris White
OK, since I have played with a couple of John/Vitesse’s turbos I will let the secret out of the bag – you guy want to know what they are made of? I know, I did a little research –
They are made up from iron, aluminum, some coppery bronze stuff and a some other shiny metals. That about covers it. I thought a saw a little eye of newt but I can be sure.

now you can stop worring about it
And don't forget some special pixey dust that let's you into the magical Kingdom too where he builds them too.

Old 10-18-2006, 11:37 PM
Driftomagnifico
Banned

Originally Posted by RolexNJ
And don't forget some special pixey dust that let's you into the magical Kingdom too where he builds them too.

That's PROVEN special pixey dust PAL! Built by magical garden gnomes that are all direct decendents of King Tupac Shakur the 18th of Compton. They pour out 40's for every turbo that goes out. I know because I deliver the OE straight to the factory on Sundays.

In fact the FBI is looking into possible child labor infringements, but I happen to know that all the gnomes have green cards.
Old 10-18-2006, 11:41 PM
RolexNJ
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by Driftomagnifico
That's PROVEN special pixey dust PAL! Built by magical garden gnomes that are all direct decendents of King Tupac Shakur the 18th of Compton. They pour out 40's for every turbo that goes out. I know because I deliver the OE straight to the factory on Sundays.

In fact the FBI is looking into possible child labor infringements, but I happen to know that all the gnomes have green cards.
Thanks for that Drifto King....
Old 10-18-2006, 11:42 PM
Driftomagnifico
Banned

Originally Posted by RolexNJ
Thanks for that Drifto King....
NP.

I want nothing but the absolute truth out there. I just can't stand to see those poor little gnomes being overworked.
Old 10-19-2006, 12:08 AM
AL951
Racer

I may be alittle lost here, but what is wrong with the KKK turbos. I mean they are the the OEM supplier your Porsche. They have won numerous races and champioships from endurance to Formula 1. So they are deffinetly reliable. I was looking on their WS, and they have same intresting new turbo technology, like dual stage turbo charging, VTG and titanium compressor wheels. They are know for taking alot of abuse.

Is price a problem , or avaliability?

Regards,
AL
Old 10-19-2006, 12:31 AM
Driftomagnifico
Banned

I'd say availability. They aren't bad, but hunting down parts seems to be a bit of a pain.
Old 10-19-2006, 12:38 AM
Porschefile
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by AL951
I may be alittle lost here, but what is wrong with the KKK turbos. I mean they are the the OEM supplier your Porsche. They have won numerous races and champioships from endurance to Formula 1. So they are deffinetly reliable. I was looking on their WS, and they have same intresting new turbo technology, like dual stage turbo charging, VTG and titanium compressor wheels. They are know for taking alot of abuse.

Is price a problem , or avaliability?

Regards,
AL

There is nothing wrong with KKK stuff. The only thing I can think of is a lack of info on their turbos. There just isn't alot of published info, compressor maps, physical sizing or other info on their turbos. Though, Garrett and quite a few other companies have lots of stuff like Ti & Inconnel wheels/shafts, twin scroll housings, vtg/vnt, etc. Alot of that stuff isn't new and has been around for decades. It's all the same stuff anyways since KKK, IHI, and nearly everything short of Mitsu turbos are all owned by Honeywell now anyways.

Drifto's point is the same as I have been trying to express for the longest time here. Garrett turbos, including the GT series have been proven, in endurance racing, rally racing, drag racing, and pretty much any kind of performance vehicle competition there is. Their turbos have a ridiculous amount of technology and R&D behind them, and they are in more widespread usage then any other brand turbo out there. As with all parts you install on a motor, user installation error usually accounts for a large majority of problems. They are reliable turbos despite what some might say. On top of that, all the info you could ever want to know about each of their current production turbos is available on their website. Garrett turbos are proven, period.

I highly encourage people to go browse other forums for other cars like Evo's, Srt4's, Imprezas, etc. Despite whether someone likes those cars or not, all of those forums are a heck of alot more active and have tons more info on Garrett based turbos than ours does.
Old 10-19-2006, 12:59 AM
Driftomagnifico
Banned

Originally Posted by Porschefile
I highly encourage people to go browse other forums for other cars like Evo's, Srt4's, Imprezas, etc. Despite whether someone likes those cars or not, all of those forums are a heck of alot more active and have tons more info on Garrett based turbos than ours does.
How dare you list such dribble as EVO's, SRT4's, and Imprezas... when you can link to proper Japanese sports cars, not overglorified 4-dr. grocery getters.
Old 10-19-2006, 01:22 AM
Porschefile
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Driftomagnifico
How dare you list such dribble as EVO's, SRT4's, and Imprezas... when you can link to proper Japanese sports cars, not overglorified 4-dr. grocery getters.
Ok, 240sx's, 300zx's, 350z's, Supras......
Old 10-19-2006, 01:26 AM
DanG
Three Wheelin'

KKK and IHI turbos are both made under the Borg Warner banner, Honeywell/Garrett's direct competitor. The only brand of turbos that Honeywell makes is Garrett. Or rather, Garrett has been making turbos all along, but they were bought out a few times along the way.

More information about Garrett than you want to know.
Old 10-19-2006, 01:32 AM
Porschefile
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by DanG
KKK and IHI turbos are both made under the Borg Warner banner, Honeywell/Garrett's direct competitor. The only brand of turbos that Honeywell makes is Garrett. Or rather, Garrett has been making turbos all along, but they were bought out a few times along the way.

More information about Garrett than you want to know.
Good catch. Ooops. I could have sworn I read about Honeywell buying Borg Warner a long time ago, but I guess I'm wrong.

Quick Reply: Millege intake, anyone have experience with it?