Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Tire Recommendations Please

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-2006, 12:57 AM
LFA951
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I guess things are different here in sunny south Florida than in other areas of the country, over here, everything makes a statement, like in Los Angeles, there is great attention to detail, such as little things like tires and sidewalls, wheels, etc. of which most may overlook or not even notice. That's why we spend so much time and money on products for our cars, a hobbie for true enthusiasts, looks and apprearances matter a lot, those who pay greater attention to detail naturally have higher standards...
Old 07-10-2006, 01:09 AM
ehall
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by LFA951
I guess things are different here in sunny south Florida than in other areas of the country, over here, everything makes a statement, like in Los Angeles, there is great attention to detail, such as little things like tires and sidewalls, wheels, etc. of which most may overlook or not even notice. That's why we spend so much time and money on products for our cars, a hobbie for true enthusiasts, looks and apprearances matter a lot, those who pay greater attention to detail naturally have higher standards...
or they have so little confidence in themselves that they draw their own self worth via the opinions of others...like a woman.
Old 07-10-2006, 01:35 AM
EdC
Pro

OK then please tell me what is it about a black sidewall that enables it to make a "statement", where another does not? Does it have to look OE, custom, expensive, aggressive, simple, clean, cluttered, understated, overstated, or does it have to sparkle in the sun or glow in the dark to make a statement? And what kind of "statement" is it trying to make? So please answer me so that I might better appreciate your higher standards so indicative of LA or south Florida.
Old 07-10-2006, 10:09 AM
streckfu's
Rennlist Member

Received 668 Likes on 448 Posts

I guess things are different here in sunny south Florida than in other areas of the country, over here, everything makes a statement, like in Los Angeles, ....
The contention is that you are attempting to discredit a tire that you have no experience with based on the word of a tire salesman and the appearance of it's sidewall. The only time sidewall appearance matters is if you are driving a 56 Caddy or T-bird in which case those Whitewalls better be polished. The details of a black sidewall can't even be seen when in motion so your 'higher standard' must be based on hte opinon of your fellow Gas and Sip Comandos.

looks and apprearances matter a lot, those who pay greater attention to detail naturally have higher standards...
Vanity should never be considered a 'standard'.

Had you merely mentioned that you were happy the Hancooks and they work great for you, all would be well. Apparently, several users on this forum have very successfully used the Fuzions in a variety of setting which should carry more weight than a salesman (whom I doubt even carries Bridstone tires and is the reason for his criticism).
Old 07-10-2006, 10:23 AM
LFA951
Drifting

Let's not be hypocrits here, the foundation of this country is vanity, looks, image, so let's not go there. Everyone wants to make a statement, some do it by boasting about their engine or their paint job, so don't contradict yourselves. The Fuzion goes well on the Mustang cause it is much like the Mustang design, dull and plain, which is the same for any other American car design, tasteless...
Old 07-10-2006, 10:34 AM
streckfu's
Rennlist Member

Let's not be hypocrits here, the foundation of this country is vanity, looks, image, so let's not go there. ...

How old are you 15? Too much Mtv and TRL for you. Spend more time driving your car on track instead of polishing your blackwalls.

Last edited by streckfu's951; 07-10-2006 at 10:54 AM.
Old 07-10-2006, 10:51 AM
OriginalSterm
Race Car

my tire guy can beat up your tire guy and he likes the fuzions...
Old 07-10-2006, 11:05 AM
KuHL 951
Hey Man
Rennlist Member

Received 181 Likes on 106 Posts

Ok, then what's the point of having nice wheels and adding tire shine to a plain and dull looking sidewall? The Kumho's have a nice sidewall, so do the Potenza's and Michelin, why doesn't the Fuzion? Why? Because they obviously did not take the time or effort to design it, cause it just wasnt' worth it. You obviously don't care much for looks if you are only concerned with "preformance". On the track, yea sidewalls may not matter, but as I see it, this person is looking for street tires, and yes people do look at the tires and the wheels when you are stopped at a light, unless they don't care for appearance like yourself. Why settle for just performance when you can have both performance and looks?? Sidewalls go with the appearance of the car, as do the rims, sound like you don't do much detailing...
What is your obsession with the Fuzions sidewalls? If your concern is how 'shiny' the tire is you seem to miss the point that we don't drive on the sidewalls. The Fuzions ZRi on my 951 worked so well I bought another set for my Q45. The Q is notorious for wearing tires early and the Fuzions have outperformed every tire yet including expensive Michelins. There are numerous posts and users here that disagree with your opinion. Maybe you should do a search yourself before condemning a tire you haven't even used. Out of curiousity how many satisfied Hankook users are there here?
Old 07-10-2006, 11:17 AM
CurlyDE
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Tom M'Guinn
I currently have Bridgestone RE730's on my 86 stock phone dials, and am planning to replace them.

Here's what I'd like:

1. Quiet freeway cruising (the RE730's drone like a truck, which I hate!)
2. Max dry-weather handling -- no snow/ice, very little rain
3. Tread life not so important

Suggestions on type and size?
Check out the replacement for the RE730s (RE750). I have these on my Prelude and had a set on my Mustang (now sold). They are much more quiet than the 730s (still have 730s on my 951 and had a set on my Mustang also). Wear has been awesome on my Prelude also (daily driver, probably about 25k miles on them so far with plenty of tread remaining). I only got like 18k to 20k miles out of the 730s on my Mustang.
Old 07-10-2006, 12:19 PM
Tom M'Guinn

Rennlist Member

Received 534 Likes on 287 Posts

Originally Posted by KuHL 951
If your concern is how 'shiny' the tire is ...?
Is that the issue? I have to say I can't see the "ugly" part from the picture, but I suppose ugly is in the eye of the behater. Maybe the low-gloss "issue" doesn't show well in pictures?
Old 07-10-2006, 12:41 PM
OriginalSterm
Race Car

i shine my tires before every race, that's how people know i've got a good car...
Old 07-10-2006, 12:49 PM
Ken D
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 75 Likes on 61 Posts

Originally Posted by OriginalSterm
i shine my tires before every race, that's how people know i've got a good car...
Don't forget to Armor-All the treads too.
Old 07-10-2006, 01:20 PM
Ski
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

back on track Tom, Goodyear F1 DS G3 ( I hope I didn't get the D and G mixed up). Quiet, great sidewall, and treadwear. I've got em, Jim just put a set on his red car, brother-n-law bought em too.
Old 07-10-2006, 01:22 PM
streckfu's
Rennlist Member

Tom,
What's your budget? That could change things dramatically. Will the car see the track with the tires you buy?
Old 07-10-2006, 01:26 PM
EdC
Pro

Although they may be a good performing tire, Hankook conjures up to me the image that they were pull offs from a Hyundai. Hyundai tires on a Porsche. What a "statement" that makes!

Quick Reply: Tire Recommendations Please