Notices
944 Turbo and Turbo-S Forum 1982-1991
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Do boost coolers (meth/water injections) have ANY long term side effects?

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-2006, 12:59 PM
Jakerx
Hitsquad Ninja
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Do boost coolers (meth/water injections) have ANY long term side effects?

Ok so I was wondering...do meth/water injection type systems have ANY bad side effects whatsoever in the long run?
Old 06-28-2006, 01:28 PM
95Juan
Mexican Ambassador
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

i was wondering this as well after that thread about the guy with the water injection resurfaced.

there seemed to be a lot of good info in that thread.

+1 as far as wondering about the long term effects...
Old 06-28-2006, 01:35 PM
Jakerx
Hitsquad Ninja
Rennlist Member

Juan can you post a link to that thread here so I may read it in the meantime while I'm waiting for some info on my question?
Old 06-28-2006, 01:35 PM
Mike1982
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

One thing that comes to mind when I think of water injection is if you run it all the time like above 4k or full throttle, I would want a low water level to tell me if I was getting low. The only long term I can think of (and I don't have any real background with cars just that I like them) would be upkeep everything running smoothly, like all the water lines keep clear and clean. The jets keep tight, neat, clean and right spray. The tank is keep sealed and clean. Much past that, I don't know of any long term effects.
Old 06-28-2006, 01:37 PM
Jakerx
Hitsquad Ninja
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Mike1982
One thing that comes to mind when I think of water injection is if you run it all the time like above 4k or full throttle, I would want a low water level to tell me if I was getting low. The only long term I can think of (and I don't have any real background with cars just that I like them) would be upkeep everything running smoothly, like all the water lines keep clear and clean. The jets keep tight, neat, clean and right spray. The tank is keep sealed and clean. Much past that, I don't know of any long term effects.
Well I just wanted to know if there was anything detrimental to the engine itself in the longrun.
Old 06-28-2006, 01:37 PM
95Juan
Mexican Ambassador
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by JakeRx
Juan can you post a link to that thread here so I may read it in the meantime while I'm waiting for some info on my question?

https://rennlist.com/forums/showthre...ater+injection
Old 06-28-2006, 01:39 PM
LtReid
Racer

i would think with the heat from the engine the water would evaporate, if your running stright meth, then it would clean the hell outta your engine while providing a much colder intake temp. My friend was running it on his s/c z24 and it has been about a year since we did that, and still runs great. But I dont think you have to worry about water going into the engine that much but then again, im just not sure
Old 06-28-2006, 03:41 PM
DanG
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

One of the companies (Cooling Mist) includes clogged injector and fluid level sensors that can be configured to trigger "safe mode" settings on an EBC or stand alone that will take them, or simply open a solenoid to limit boost and flip on a warning light.

As far as long term use, I don't have any personal experience. I'd expect any problems that would arise would either be from the increase power levels the system allows, or from a failure of one of its components. I don't think a properly functioning system on an engine that can handle the power level will have any long term problems from running water injection all the time.

BTW, here's a pretty good FAQ on water/meth injection from the WRX forums...

http://forums.nasioc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=937176
Old 06-28-2006, 03:41 PM
toddk911
Drive-by provocation guy
Rennlist Member

IF everything is done/installed properly then no.

I have never read or heard about a mishap that wasn't user error. Either, low water, improper water amount injected, did not put in check valve, etc.

And if your really worried then run water only.
Old 06-28-2006, 03:51 PM
Jakerx
Hitsquad Ninja
Rennlist Member

Wouldn't all meth be better than all water?
Old 06-28-2006, 03:54 PM
95Juan
Mexican Ambassador
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by JakeRx
Wouldn't all meth be better than all water?

as i see it, that's like deciding between a turd sandwich and a giant douche.

i mean- having straight, unevaporated water shot into your intake, or having meth shot in there.....

what about intercooler water sprayers?

some tuners use nitrous intercooler sprayers, what about water intercooler sprayers?

as in- spray the outside to get a temp drop?
Old 06-28-2006, 04:09 PM
hacker-pschorr
Administrator - "Tyson"
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 2,170 Likes on 1,227 Posts

The jury is still out on this. My friends 928 is running 50/50 water/meth on his boosted engine. He found after the most recent teardown, the meth was eating away the powdercoating inside his manifold. So those powdercoating chips had to be going somewhere.

Yes I realize you sould not be powdercoating the inside of the manifold - just reporting what I know.
Old 06-28-2006, 04:11 PM
DanG
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Water is better at lowering temps, meth is better (since water doesn't at all) at raising the octane. 50/50 is better than 100 water because of the added benefit of the octane booster (meth is ~108). 100 meth should give the maximum benefits, but at much higher cost than smurf **** (windshield washer fluid- 49.5% water, 49.5% meth, 1% blue dye/detergent). Strait meth also evaporates around 150 F, so that could present problems depending on where you live and place the tank. And its obviously flammable, whereas the washer fluid isn't. While it seems like a ghetto source, washer fluid is really an excellent choice as it is cheap, available EVERYWHERE, premixed, filtered, distilled... blah blah blah. And it makes the exhaust smell like candle wax!

Juan, intercooler sprayers do have a documented improvement, but no where near what injection can provide. Although I believe either Evos or WRXs come with them stock. If anything it would be something to add to a water injection system for further cooling ability. Although I'd definitely save the nitrous for injection rather than intercooler spraying, unless you have a free source and/or you're drag racing for money!

Also, when injected in the proper quanity and conditions, 100.000% of the water is evaporated. The whole purpose of injecting water is to get the cooling effects of its phase change.
Old 06-28-2006, 04:18 PM
hacker-pschorr
Administrator - "Tyson"
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 2,170 Likes on 1,227 Posts

Originally Posted by DanG
While it seems like a ghetto source, washer fluid is really an excellent choice as it is cheap, available EVERYWHERE, premixed, filtered, distilled... blah blah blah. And it makes the exhaust smell like candle wax!
Damn, I already have 3+ gallons of smurf **** feeding my intercooler - wouldn't take much to tap in - run a line to my intake. Need to make sure I'm taking water after the cooler and before the aftercooler.

So at what point is the heat in my aftercooler (intercooler) burning off all the meth?
Old 06-28-2006, 04:21 PM
toddk911
Drive-by provocation guy
Rennlist Member

Jaun, I guess you have not done any research or experience with water injection?

Intercooler sprayers have been tested at about 1% gain to the wheels. You do the math.

If going IC sprayer you would want to look into spraying someing WAYYYY cloder then water.

$$ for $$$, nothing in terms of cooling will get more results then WI

Quick Reply: Do boost coolers (meth/water injections) have ANY long term side effects?