Notices
944 Turbo and Turbo-S Forum 1982-1991
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Do boost coolers (meth/water injections) have ANY long term side effects?

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-2006, 01:32 AM
95Juan
Mexican Ambassador
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by DanG
Juan, if you're already running the max boost you want to run and you don't have any knock at full timing, then you should see minimal gains. Water/meth injection is really meant to take a car thats at the limit of safe operation in regard to knock and raise that limit. Either higher boost, more timing advance, or both.

I guess you could try running 89 octane w/ the W-M injection at your current boost level (or maybe start off much lower to be safe) and see if you could get away with cheaper fillups. But that would make running out of fluid in the middle of nowhere more dangerous.

Jason, I hadn't thought that finding -20 or -30 F washer fluid would be a problem, but you're right its probably not needed in temperate places. In that case mixing your own from commercially available meth or denatured alcohol is a pretty reasonable option. A gallon of self mixed 50:50 should come to about $1.50 if you do some careful shopping.

so- if i'm running at the max i want to run on **** gas (91 octane) and i want to up the boost a bit (3 or 4 psi to say........18, 19, maybe lower), then adding water/methanol injection would allow me to do that so long as i keep my fluid level up?

so it's kind of a "boost" to the boost?

but once i run out of methanol/water i need to turn it back to a safe level for that octane?

so it's essentially an octane booster that you use on and off?
Old 06-29-2006, 02:04 AM
pflyers
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The guys who race turbocharged buick grand nationals swear by running 100% methonal. the main guy on their board is "razor" here is his link. www.alkycontrol.com

Here's the other one from their board.
http://www.turbobuick.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=14

These guys run 28lbs on pump gas and swear it runs better with alky than race gas.

They've been doing it for years.

That's my plan anyway once I get a stage 3 installed.
Old 06-29-2006, 02:39 AM
jacklet
Racer

some of these sicko's run race gas and meth injection on the track and they are unbelievably friggin fast! I know a guy with a 10 sec Gn it's a sick ride if I ever find one cheap look out!
Old 06-29-2006, 03:47 AM
HIGHBOOST
Pro

[QUOTE=95Juan]So- what happens if you're say- running a chipset for 15 psi.

and you're making a decent amount of HP.

but then you keep the same boost level, but add water/methanol (or other type) of injection?

would you see any increase?

You would notice an increase most likely if before hand the knock sensors were causing you to get some timing pulled... Now with the increased knock protection, you get some timing back.

O.T
Get your corner lenses painted like mine! ha, it would look awesome
Old 06-29-2006, 10:18 AM
toddk911
Drive-by provocation guy
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by JakeRx
I think the meth being in there is what prevents it from freezing at 35 degrees?
Which is why you can run a "cooled charge"

those that have big or external freezers can have your washer fluid bottles in there and can get very cold with out freezing.

The benifts would obvioulsy drop as the tank got hot, UNLESS, you use a small cooler as your resevoir and have it located in the hatch with a SS line running to the front.
Old 06-29-2006, 10:25 AM
toddk911
Drive-by provocation guy
Rennlist Member

"Juan, if you're already running the max boost you want to run and you don't have any knock at full timing, then you should see minimal gains. Water/meth injection is really meant to take a car thats at the limit of safe operation in regard to knock and raise that limit. Either higher boost, more timing advance, or both."

Not correct. Many, including a recent thread noted major gains just from the much cooler charge air. Same boost, timing ,etc. Just cooler air.

Cooler air = HP
Old 06-29-2006, 10:38 AM
DanG
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 95Juan
so- if i'm running at the max i want to run on **** gas (91 octane) and i want to up the boost a bit (3 or 4 psi to say........18, 19, maybe lower), then adding water/methanol injection would allow me to do that so long as i keep my fluid level up?

so it's kind of a "boost" to the boost?

but once i run out of methanol/water i need to turn it back to a safe level for that octane?

so it's essentially an octane booster that you use on and off?
Yeah, you've got it now. You could have a "dumb" system -one that just sprays continuously at a calculated flowrate for your high boost level- that you arm with a switch on the dash. I'd run that switch in-line with a boost sensor (google: Hobbs pressure sensor) and also use that switch to power a solenoid for a higher boost control path to the wastegate (if you don't have a switchable EBC).

So normal driving runs up to your current boost levels and no H2O injection. If you "feel the need" you flip the switch and get a couple extra pounds of boost with the H2O injection enabled.
Old 06-29-2006, 10:50 AM
toddk911
Drive-by provocation guy
Rennlist Member

Dan: could that Hobbs, as I was just looking at it, be used as a EBC or cross between and MBC/EBC?
Old 06-29-2006, 11:08 AM
toddk911
Drive-by provocation guy
Rennlist Member

Sorry, OT, but check this out:

http://www.kipanderson.net/rs/hobbs.htm

Quick Reply: Do boost coolers (meth/water injections) have ANY long term side effects?