Notices
944 Turbo and Turbo-S Forum 1982-1991
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Uuuuuuuuuuugh - did I just trash my wheels?

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-2006, 04:09 PM
mtnman82
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Uuuuuuuuuuugh - did I just trash my wheels?

I wanted her to be clean & pretty for my smog check, and in the process decided to clean the tires/wheels as I always do, with some Eagle One tire/wheel cleaner (spray on, wait, hose off - works great on the other cars). Now I have streaks on the wheels that I can't get off. These are the forged turbo-S wheels. Is there any way to get the streaks off without resorting to refinishing (did I just trash them in less than 5 minutes)? Of course, after I did it, I seem to recall reading something a while back about not using the tire cleaners on these wheels, but I can't find that thread (over a year ago, when I first joined). It looks much worse in person than in the picture below. At least she passed CA smog .....
Attached Images  
Old 04-17-2006, 04:33 PM
ivai
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

These are polished, right? I'd suggest going out and getting some Mother's aluminium polish and giving them a good rub down.
Old 04-17-2006, 04:35 PM
Chris White
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist Small
Business Sponsor

Received 36 Likes on 27 Posts

Nope, they are anodized – I am not sure what you can do to fix the problem.

Chris White
Old 04-17-2006, 04:51 PM
Mighty Shilling
Wax On, Wax Off
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Got the same thing on mine... it sucks... although it wasn't eagle one, it was a VERY harsh wheel acid... I said to dad, "DO NOT USE THIS ON PORSCHE WHEELS!" I see him spraying it, "DAMNIT!" he's like, "Oh, it's OK... it won't damage them." "LEAVE IT ON FOR ONLY 45 SECONDS MAX" I see dad walking around the car, spraying all of the wheels, then coming and rinsing slowly...

Dad: "Oh, ****... that damaged the wheels."
me: "I TOLD YOU IT WOULD!"

P21S won't hurt your wheels... it's good stuff... don't know how to fix that other than having them redone.

You'll see the front one is almost completely white, the back is streaked.
Attached Images  
Old 04-17-2006, 05:05 PM
LFA951
Drifting

You just screwed up your wheels, that Eagle crapp is acid based and it eats at the metal, just use regular engine degreaser or brake cleaner, does the same job, but takes a little longer...
Old 04-17-2006, 05:10 PM
Mighty Shilling
Wax On, Wax Off
Rennlist Member

There is a degreaser called Super 11 which is badass. works great. P21S wheel gel is the best I've ever used... it's so expensive though...
Old 04-17-2006, 05:13 PM
brad@tirerack.com
Former Vendor

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

If you sprayed an over the counter wheel cleaner on an anodized wheel, it's probably wrecked. Try using a good polishing compound. You may be able to buff it out with a polisher since they are so flat.

from now on, IF YOU WOULD NOT PUT IT ON YOUR HOOD, DON"T PUT IT ON YOUR WHEELS!!! Soap and water only.
Old 04-17-2006, 05:28 PM
RKD in OKC
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

I was able to get rid of the soap caused oxidation on my anodized club sports with some metal cleaner call Sea Power. It is a marine or boat thing. Learned about it from a really good detail guy. It took a little elbow grease to clean off the oxidation, but it makes the anodizing look like new.

I have a set of club sport wheels that have been chemically de-anodized and painted with regular silver wheel paint and clear coated. They are in perfect condition and look like the anodized wheels, but they are super easy to clean and take care of (just like regular wheels). Since I am thinking seriously about going to big red brakes and then they would no longer fit, I might be talked into selling them for a reasonable price to help buy the big red kit.

RKD in OKC
Old 04-17-2006, 05:52 PM
KuHL 951
Hey Man
Rennlist Member

Received 181 Likes on 106 Posts

Why do they even sell that Eagle crap? I ruined a perfect set of Jeep alloys using the same stuff. Soapy water is all I use anymore. Sorry but I don't think you'll get the acid discoloration out of them short of stripping and painting, polishing, or resealing them.
Old 04-17-2006, 06:44 PM
testarossa_td
Race Car

Mothers?
Old 04-17-2006, 06:52 PM
mtnman82
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Dammit!!! I will try the suggestions posted here an post back with any good results. Probably won't happen until towards the weekend. And again, dammit!!!
Old 04-17-2006, 07:48 PM
Oddjob
Rennlist Member

Received 68 Likes on 54 Posts

I have used a very mild paint/finish polishing compound on my streaked anodized club sports, with some reasonable results. Used just a McGuires Swirl Remover - which is a fine finishing polish, not a rubbing compound or cleaner. Took quite a bit of effort, but it did get the streaking out. It is safe - it wont cut into the the alum or anodized surface layer. I would not say the same for some of the coarser rubbing compounds.

Good Luck.
Old 04-17-2006, 08:03 PM
Mighty Shilling
Wax On, Wax Off
Rennlist Member

I'll try a swirl remover when I purchase the car.. until then, it's in hiding about 90 miles away... by Patrat...
Old 04-17-2006, 10:16 PM
Mike Buck
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 22 Likes on 10 Posts

Have you tried rubbing them with Vasoline? That is what I use on anodized wheels. Worked great on both my dad's 928S and 951S
Old 04-17-2006, 11:33 PM
Mighty Shilling
Wax On, Wax Off
Rennlist Member

Hmmmmmm... I know Vasoline works on Fuchs and cookie cutters... I'll try it.

Quick Reply: Uuuuuuuuuuugh - did I just trash my wheels?