Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Vitesse Turbo Cost

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-2006, 05:01 PM
RogueM3
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Vitesse Turbo Cost

Can anybody tell me why the Vitesse Turbo itself (in this particular instance, the stage 3 turbo) costs $1900 all by itself?? I arrived at this price by deducting the price of an MAF + PB kit from the cost of the full stage 3 kit. ($3700-$1800=$1900) Even if it were something as nice as a Garrett GT30R (which would be capable of even more power at the given boost levels of 15-17psi) it should only cost ~$1200 or so...

I was just looking at the site with alot of curiosity for my upcoming 951 purchase which will go unmodded for all of a few hours...my family gives me all kinds of crap for typically buying modifications for a car before I even take ownership of the car.
Old 04-12-2006, 05:06 PM
aeronautica86
Three Wheelin'

the extra cost is to cover John's R&D as well as the custom modifications that he does to the turbos before he sends them out
Old 04-12-2006, 05:06 PM
Mighty Shilling
Wax On, Wax Off
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

LOL I hear that... I just bought and installed an EBC for a turbo that I'll be buying in a month...
Old 04-12-2006, 05:11 PM
RogueM3
Pro

Originally Posted by aeronautica86
the extra cost is to cover John's R&D as well as the custom modifications that he does to the turbos before he sends them out
I can understand that...but I dont believe these turbos are even DBB turbos, so $700+/kit additional just to cover R&D and minor modification costs seems like alot.

Maybe im off base here...
Old 04-12-2006, 05:21 PM
streckfu's
Rennlist Member

Received 668 Likes on 448 Posts

It's good to question. Are his chips included in the MAF price?

What else are you looking at for options?
Old 04-12-2006, 05:22 PM
aeronautica86
Three Wheelin'

well, businesses have to make money

also, take into account the cost/hp curve - it may only take $500 to get an extra 50hp (chips, gauge boost controller), but it'll take another ~$3500 to make another 50-60 hp on top of that (wastegate, exhaust, maf, injectors, small upgrade turbo like k26/8 or k27/6) - in other words, to get up into the higher regions of the possible horsepower range for a given car, it takes alot more money or put another way, it takes alot more money to squeeze out the last extra bit of performance. So basically you may be able to buy a dbb turbo that is well suited for the 951 for ~$1200 and it will perform quite nicely, but to get that little bit extra is going to significantly increase the price - so what do you want, good performance for $1200 or excellent performance for $1900? It just depends on whether or not that performance jump is worth it to you.

edit: yes, his maf kits include the needed software
Old 04-12-2006, 05:53 PM
TurboMojo
Intermediate

Great question, I'm consiering going this route too. From what I have read on this forum Vitesse is the best and I'm sure John will let us know why the kit costs what it does.
Old 04-12-2006, 05:56 PM
Chris White
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist Small
Business Sponsor

Received 36 Likes on 27 Posts

For $100 I’ll sell you a true do it your self kit – a box of Iron ore and a chunk of aluminum. Think of the savings…

What you are paying for with John’s turbos is a product that works and is reliable. If you figure the time it takes to get a turbo out and back in it is not worth the effort to sort through a whole list of turbos that are supposed to be good. I have tried a number of combinations and some were pretty decent – they gave good power output but at the expense of low end performance. John’s turbos have both bases covered - he spent the time, money and effort testing out different combination and modification and it shows.

You can get cheaper turbos – but none that were custom made for 944s. After the third ‘cheap’ turbo you will wonder why you didn’t get the right one to begin with!

Chris White
Old 04-12-2006, 06:08 PM
fast951
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 37 Likes on 27 Posts

I have many toys, so someone has to pay!! LOL..

The VR turbos are not something you get off of the shelf. Some of the components were not designed to be packaged in a way to fit the 951. As an example S3 turbo makes 1bar boost in the 3200-3400rpm, yet is capable of supporting 500+rwhp. The fast spooling and the performance capabilities take lots of work to achieve. Not to mention the work we do for the internals...

I have seen others claim their turbos does the same, however in real life it just didn't happen.
For those that want an entry level turbo, we offer it as well. $1250 for a entry level turbo, just don't expect all the extras you get with the VR turbos...
Old 04-12-2006, 06:11 PM
testarossa_td
Race Car

Old 04-12-2006, 06:31 PM
RogueM3
Pro

Originally Posted by aeronautica86
also, take into account the cost/hp curve - it may only take $500 to get an extra 50hp (chips, gauge boost controller), but it'll take another ~$3500 to make another 50-60 hp on top of that (wastegate, exhaust, maf, injectors, small upgrade turbo like k26/8 or k27/6) - in other words, to get up into the higher regions of the possible horsepower range for a given car, it takes alot more money or put another way, it takes alot more money to squeeze out the last extra bit of performance. So basically you may be able to buy a dbb turbo that is well suited for the 951 for ~$1200 and it will perform quite nicely, but to get that little bit extra is going to significantly increase the price - so what do you want, good performance for $1200 or excellent performance for $1900
This doesnt really apply here, as with the VR Stage 3 kit you arent getting the WG, Exhaust, Injectors, or Boost Controller Yes, I will agree that it seems like a super-well designed kit (solely based upon reviews on this forum) but lets be clear that the $3700 for the kit isnt the total amount of money needed to realize the power figures given on his site. I would argue its another ~$1000 for extra things as mentioned above that arent included in the kit that would be needed to run it efficiently.
Originally Posted by Chris White
What you are paying for with John’s turbos is a product that works and is reliable. If you figure the time it takes to get a turbo out and back in it is not worth the effort to sort through a whole list of turbos that are supposed to be good.
Ill agree with you that paying for R&D is not unheard of by any means. I just didnt realize there was SO MUCH R&D wrapped up in these kits. (as evidenced by his need to price each kit ~$700 above normal cost in order to spread the R&D costs evenly.) Im not knocking his pricing and will more than likely pay it when the time comes because, as you say, saving the headaches and labor is pretty much priceless. I was just trying to get a feel for why his turbo by itself should cost so much. My example of the GT30R was a decent one, as it is sold as a T3 turbo with an anti-surge housing, providing full boost under 3800rpms as a result of the DBB, and capable of handling in excess of 450rwhp. (or a GT35R with a .63AR exhaust can support even more power at the expense of a little spool time.)
Originally Posted by Fast951
The VR turbos are not something you get off of the shelf. Some of the components were not designed to be packaged in a way to fit the 951. As an example S3 turbo makes 1bar boost in the 3200-3400rpm, yet is capable of supporting 500+rwhp. The fast spooling and the performance capabilities take lots of work to achieve. Not to mention the work we do for the internals...
Thanks for the response, John. I didnt realize there was additional work involved to fit the turbos to the 951, and assumed any labor costs could easily be swallowed up with a slight price increase over other top-of-the-line turbos (which I think we can agree the Garrett GT series is).

As I responded to Chris White, I am a firm believer in avoiding DIY setups when there is a proven kit available, i was just perusing your site (which could DESPERATELY use an update. ) and started to wonder about the pricing.

Thanks.
Old 04-12-2006, 06:42 PM
gstreev
Racer

I've seen decent 951s for less than the price of an installed kit
Yes its true that each additional HP after say 50hp gets increasingly more expensive than the
previous one.
Old 04-12-2006, 07:14 PM
fast951
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 37 Likes on 27 Posts

If you catch me on a good day, I might even throw in the injectors.. We run specials every now and then where we give you free injectors ($350-400) for free with the kit.

It's a no big deal to be a turbo reseller, get wholesale, mark it up and let it go. If you want "ok" products, the market is full of them. If you want a product that works as advertised, you have to do your homework.

This is not just for turbo selection... it applies to MAF, software....
Old 04-12-2006, 08:01 PM
special tool
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by RogueM3
Can anybody tell me why the Vitesse Turbo itself (in this particular instance, the stage 3 turbo) costs $1900 all by itself?? I arrived at this price by deducting the price of an MAF + PB kit from the cost of the full stage 3 kit. ($3700-$1800=$1900) Even if it were something as nice as a Garrett GT30R (which would be capable of even more power at the given boost levels of 15-17psi) it should only cost ~$1200 or so...

I was just looking at the site with alot of curiosity for my upcoming 951 purchase which will go unmodded for all of a few hours...my family gives me all kinds of crap for typically buying modifications for a car before I even take ownership of the car.
John's stage 2 WILL DESTROY ANY CONFIGURATION OF GT30 ON A 951 in performance. At the track, on the street and at the dyno.
There are MANY hours of custom machining and all units are blueprinted.

The turbo in my car is a stock, off the shelf Vitesse stage 3. I have some special stuff for it, but I have never used it. It makes 600+ horsepower (soon to be 600 at the wheels) and I have 1 bar boost by 3500 RPM with stage 2 headers and HUGE intake valves.
You can have the same turbo I use - just ask. It may be expensive, but it will renew your fear of God.
Old 04-12-2006, 08:12 PM
danny951
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by RogueM3
i was just perusing your site (which could DESPERATELY use an update. ) and started to wonder about the pricing.

Thanks.

I'll second that

Quick Reply: Vitesse Turbo Cost