Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Vitesse Turbo Cost

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-2006, 11:17 AM
stewardx
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

John's stage 2 WILL DESTROY ANY CONFIGURATION OF GT30 ON A 951 in performance. At the track, on the street and at the dyno.
There are MANY hours of custom machining and all units are blueprinted.

The turbo in my car is a stock, off the shelf Vitesse stage 3. I have some special stuff for it, but I have never used it. It makes 600+ horsepower (soon to be 600 at the wheels) and I have 1 bar boost by 3500 RPM with stage 2 headers and HUGE intake valves.
You can have the same turbo I use - just ask. It may be expensive, but it will renew your fear of God.

ST. was that the same turbo Dave compared dyno chart with to RKD and his LR super 61 at 19 pounds? maybe you didnt see the charts. i can post a link if not.

Wes
Old 04-13-2006, 11:40 AM
Opeth
Pro

Exclamation

Im looking to purchase a Lindsey Super 61 at some point, Id be interested in those charts Wes. PM or post them please!
Old 04-13-2006, 12:08 PM
fast951
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 37 Likes on 27 Posts

Wes, I beleive you are getting close to deep water, are you a good swimmer?

Put the "off the shelf" Super 61 on any car you want dyno it, put the Stage 3 on the same car, use the same dyno. Then compare results..

Few people switched brands, maybe I can get them to to share the results, instead of asking them to keep it off line????
Old 04-13-2006, 12:11 PM
testarossa_td
Race Car

Old 04-13-2006, 12:16 PM
Tom M'Guinn

Rennlist Member

Received 535 Likes on 287 Posts

Originally Posted by Chris White
You can do the same thing with engine management mods – tune for peak power and let the rest of it go to hell (anybody remember Huntley stage 4 MAF?)

BTW – one issue that nobody has mentioned is durability – a lot of the ball bearing turbos don’t have that feature. After looking over John’s turbo and chatting with him I believe these are 100K mile turbos

Hunltely Stage 4 (aka, the "light switch") -- I'm not sure it made any extra power on a 2.5 951. My last dyno was done with that MAF and GURU chips. I'm about to go back with the Huntley stage 3 MAF and Vitesse chips. Stay tuned.

Funny you mention durability, while speaking to another 951 outfit many months ago, I was told that vitesse's turbos were grenades "waiting to blow." When I asked for a single instance of a VR turbo "blowing up," the conversation quickly turned into a sales pitch for various parts designed to fix problems that don't seem to exist.
Old 04-13-2006, 01:01 PM
stewardx
Instructor

John, i dont think that answered my question.

Wes
Old 04-13-2006, 01:09 PM
fast951
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by stewardx
John, i dont think that answered my question.

Wes
Wes, I will make it very simple for you. "When comparing 2 turbos, they should be tested under the same conditions. Conditions include but not limited to: same engine parameters, same conditions, same test equipment, and of course a third party testing facility!!!!"

Again, as I suggested, get someone to do the test for us and post the results.. I know the results, but coming from a third party might be more convincing.

How would ST or anyone else what was compared to what, he didn't do the comparison?

Does this answer your question?
Old 04-13-2006, 03:34 PM
hosrom_951
UAE Rennlist Ambassador
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I believe what Steward is talking about special tool's pump gas run, compared to RDK's pump gas run, since both were almost runing identical boost levels (tool ran 19.4 psi, RDK was dead on 19psi), but special tool had the sledgehammer head, RKD had the LR stage 1 (a rebuild, running stock valves and springs). Everything else was the same, i believe but tool was on a mustang while RKD as on a dynojet.

Both charts were laid over each other, just to show how much better/worse the 'power under the curve' was like in reality.
Old 04-13-2006, 03:40 PM
fast951
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Hosrom, you are 100% correct. But ST was running headers, which moved his powerband to the right (up). So you cannot compare the results.... Too many variables.

Now I do know for a fact that the S3 makes 1bar boost at 3200-3400rpm (some sooner). This translates to mid-range torque. At the same time, I have info how other turbos spoolup, not even close. This is from customers that tried BOTH turbos.. and guess what, they are keeping the S3.
Old 04-13-2006, 04:10 PM
RKD in OKC
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

Here is a link to the thread on Turbo944 comparing dyno charts...

ST and RKD dyno Charts

Also a link to the tests done comparing Dynojet and Mustang on same day within an hour with the same car.

Dynojet vs Mustang

My opinion is that current turbo technology will always have too much lag when compared to na power, and horsepower of any kind only does you as much good as you can actually get to the ground.
Old 04-13-2006, 05:04 PM
jgporsche
Drifting

Originally Posted by hosrom_951
I believe what Steward is talking about special tool's pump gas run, compared to RDK's pump gas run, since both were almost runing identical boost levels (tool ran 19.4 psi, RDK was dead on 19psi), but special tool had the sledgehammer head, RKD had the LR stage 1 (a rebuild, running stock valves and springs).
according to the turbo944 website it states RKD was running 20psi while ST was running 19.4psi. Just trying to get the info correct
Old 04-13-2006, 06:00 PM
hosrom_951
UAE Rennlist Ambassador
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by fast951
Hosrom, you are 100% correct. But ST was running headers, which moved his powerband to the right (up). So you cannot compare the results.... Too many variables.
Oh right, i forgot about that as well, thanks for the correction

Originally Posted by jgporsche
according to the turbo944 website it states RKD was running 20psi while ST was running 19.4psi. Just trying to get the info correct
Again, thanks for the correction
Old 04-13-2006, 06:12 PM
fast951
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

RKD in OKC, would you elaborate some on why your engine was happier with the 48# injectos vs. the 55#?

If the software is done correctly, it should compensate for the injectors size.. We are running a 944NA car with 85# injectors and 3bar Fuel Pressure, it's as happy as the day it left the factory.
I don't understand why a high HP turbo car cannot be happy with 55# injectors.
Old 04-13-2006, 06:18 PM
azmi951
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Chris White
BTW – one issue that nobody has mentioned is durability – a lot of the ball bearing turbos don’t have that feature. After looking over John’s turbo and chatting with him I believe these are 100K mile turbos – I won’t go into details as that is John’s product but I am not concerned about long term reliability with these. I have used some turbonetics stuff that should have been installed with Velcro so they could be swapped out easier….
A very knowledgeable turbo company confirmed the turbonetics lack of reliability. supposidly a failure rate of about 20% is normal.
Old 04-13-2006, 06:28 PM
333pg333
Rennlist Member

Received 97 Likes on 80 Posts

Originally Posted by Tom M'Guinn
The free market rewards those who sell things people want. It would be a skimpy marketplace indeed if all things were sold at cost plus a small margin.

I bought Guru chips, then paid three times as much for Vitesse chips (the marginal cost of which is maybe $4 for the chip itself). I'd do it again.

Hermes sells a purse (a purse!) for $10,000 -- and there is a 2 year waiting list to get it.
So what colour do you have on order?

Quick Reply: Vitesse Turbo Cost