Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Rebirth of a racecar - project pics

Search this Thread

Old 12-17-2006, 07:57 PM
Skip Wolfe
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks guys. Mike is correct that they are from GT Racing and the installation was very well done.
Old 12-17-2006, 08:07 PM
FSAEracer03
TRB0 GUY
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks, guys!
Old 12-17-2006, 08:16 PM
shiners780
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Looks great Skip! Is this being built to any particular race series specs, or just to be used for DE's and open track days? I'm curious, with the CF body panels, what this will weigh when complete. Any idea? And are you using lexan for the front and rear windows?
Old 12-17-2006, 08:37 PM
MPD47
The Carnage King
Rennlist Member

Jim, supposidly, the car once weighed in at 2450lbs, but since then I've stolen a lot of stuff off of it.
Old 12-17-2006, 08:50 PM
Skip Wolfe
Rennlist Member

I am planning to run it in the NASA GTS series as well as DE's. I'm curious about the weight as well. It has a glass windshield and rear quarter windows and will have a lexan rear window (Mike has the original one). At the 2450 mark it had fiberglass doors - has steel now. It also had the Kokeln rear torsion bar sub assembly which Mike now has. However it had a modified stock dash and it now has the GT Racing CF dash. I believe it had a CF front front bumper cover and I believe that has been replaced with a fiberglass unit. It also had the full headlight assembly - lights, motor, linkage, etc., and that is all gone. So some stuff has been added and other stuff has been deleted so we'll have to see how it ends up.
Old 12-17-2006, 10:01 PM
shiners780
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Skip Wolfe
I am planning to run it in the NASA GTS series as well as DE's.
I have been thinking about racing, and about what series I could enter that would allow my car's current mods. I just looked at the NASA GTS series website, and that looks like it has potential and would be a good fit.

I am not real familiar with the NASA series. If you don't mind my asking, what made you choose NASA over other series, such as PCA Club Racing? Feel free to PM if you want, I don't mean to hijack your build thread.
Old 12-18-2006, 05:48 AM
OZ951
Three Wheelin'

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Nice to see your making progress there Skip. Thats one less job on the to do list eh.
Old 12-18-2006, 07:50 AM
Guns951
Race Car

NICE!
Old 12-26-2006, 10:03 PM
Skip Wolfe
Rennlist Member

Took advantage of my holiday vacation to pull the motor from my parts car. Brant Giere, a local Rennlister, has a nice mid-rise scissor lift in his shop, which made life easier, and Tom Leigh, another local Rennlister, came over to help wrench. Took us about 6 hours with a short break for lunch. The last hour was spent removing little bits and pieces that were causing the motor to hang up, and figuring out that the input shaft is damn long. I trailered the motor back to my house, got it in the garage and will start prepping it to go into the Technodyne car this week.

Old 12-26-2006, 10:35 PM
MPD47
The Carnage King
Rennlist Member

Awesome! Yeah, that input shaft is a PITA. Unless the transaxle is out, then you can just kick it back out of the way. (I hope I mentioned that before you went to do this!) Look forward to seeing more progress You're doing better than me now.
Old 12-26-2006, 11:50 PM
xsboost90
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

i wish there was an easy way to put a 968 torque tube into these cars- coming along nice skip! Gonna do anything to the motor before the install?
Old 12-27-2006, 08:13 AM
black944 turbo
Rennlist Member

Received 29 Likes on 20 Posts

Skip, you selling the suspension on the car? Please PM me if you are. Are they bilsteins or Konis? Good work on the car.
Old 12-27-2006, 10:11 AM
Skip Wolfe
Rennlist Member

Thanks Dan. I'm a bit of the fence about how far to tear down the motor. The motor was rebuilt about 2k miles ago (verified by Scott Harrisson) and so I hate to pull the head to verify - seems like a waste of time and money, however it will never be easier now that it is off the car - wish I had a borescope. I have a handful of things to do before installing it and beginning the dreaded wiring.

- Remove the stock wiring harness and install the TEC3 harness.
- Install crank trigger assembly for the TEC3.
- Pull the AC compressor and install an AC delete kit.
- Delete the heater valve and hook up a bypass hose
- Redo the vacuum lines to eliminate the emissions equipment
- Install Lindsey fuel rail
- Install Lindsey 2 piece crossover
- Identify turbo

Probably the biggest issue is to identify the turbo. It is supposed to be a ceramic coated, ball bearing Garret but that is all I know. It is in fact ceramic coated and the cold side has a serial number plate on it. I'm fairly ignorant when it come to the various turbos, but in talking to Magown, it looks like I will most likely need to pull the turbo and open it up so I can measure the wheels. Once I know what it is, then I ca decide whether to use it, a k27/6 7200 sitting in my garage , or I could sell both turbos and go with a Lindsey Super series which I am considering - known entity and I could eliminate a lot of the turbo coolant lines which really opens up the front/side of the engine bay.

Last edited by Skip Wolfe; 12-27-2006 at 04:11 PM.
Old 12-27-2006, 10:13 AM
Skip Wolfe
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by black944 turbo
Skip, you selling the suspension on the car? Please PM me if you are. Are they bilsteins or Konis? Good work on the car.
Thanks. The suspension has Bilsteins with Eibach springs, but they are going to go on my '87. I have a pretty aggressive suspesion on the '87 and parts of that have either been sold or are going on the Technodyne car.
Old 12-27-2006, 10:23 AM
kasturbo
Addict
Rennlist Member

Skip, I like option number 3 for your turbo choices. After selling both turbos you'll easily have enough for a new turbo. That way it's new and you'll know what it is. I'm also a big fan of eliminating all the turbo cooling parts. Makes the engine bay a lot less of a mess.

I have a factory ac delete bracket for sale if you need one.

Quick Reply: Rebirth of a racecar - project pics