Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Rebirth of a racecar - project pics

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-2009, 04:08 PM
JonH
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike Lindsey
We had to go look up your address to see if the 666 in the pictures was photo-shopped or not.

It's not!
If you saw Skip drive...
Old 05-19-2009, 06:15 PM
Skip Wolfe
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The Sign of the Beast baby - would make a good livery theme!

Funny thing is that when we moved into the house, we actually went to the zoning board to see about getting it changed. They thought it was pretty funny but a reasonable request and gave us a bunch of paperwork to fill out to get it changed. After thinking about it we decided it was a good conversation piece and would just run with it.
Old 05-20-2009, 11:09 PM
highboy
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

skip...looks f'n awesome...need any help gett'r ready for Nelson...give me a shout!
Old 05-23-2009, 10:06 AM
OZ951
Three Wheelin'

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Hey Skip, nice to see your car is running. Congrats.

I can relate to the vac hose issue. After starting my car for the first time in ages the other day I discovered it was stalling as soon as I opened the throttle. One look at the MAP readout (on laptop) showed it was near zero... checked my map sensor .. discovered cracked hose... replaced and all good. You gotta love having all that data visible.
Old 05-23-2009, 07:08 PM
Nurburger
Rennlist Member

Received 651 Likes on 274 Posts

Originally Posted by Skip Wolfe

Great picture... Congrats, the car looks amazing.
Old 05-24-2009, 04:12 AM
944Fest (aka Dan P)
Unaffiliated

Received 205 Likes on 133 Posts

Old 06-08-2009, 11:34 PM
Skip Wolfe
Rennlist Member

Finally - took the car out for it's maiden voyage this past weekend at Nelson Ledges. Had a busy week getting the car ready.

Weekend before:
Torqued all the suspension bolts and aligned it the weekend before - what a PITA to align the rear end. We were using Smart Strings on a 4 post lift with a Longacre camber gauge and the factory eccentric tool. Painted the headlight panels and header cover - turned out to be the wrong shade of silver.

Week before:
Replaced the brand new SS front brake line that had a leak - need to figure out who I bought them from originally, and replaced the brake pads. Bled brake using Motive power bleeder – supply tube sprung a leak in it and started spraying brake fluid on me. Was able to cut off the offending section of hose and getting it going. Figured out my front tires were going to rub so built up a new set of BBS wheel with 1/2" outer and 8" inners rather than the 1" outers and 7-1/2" inners I had on there, and ran to Steinels to have the tire mounted. Ran out of time to mount the header panel so just threw it into the back of the truck with a bunch of hardware.

Friday morning:
Got ready to load the car on the trailer to head out to the track for 944 Fest and the car would start. Winched it on the trailer and headed to the track. After getting the track day started - I was the event chair for the track portion of the 944Fest as well as the PCA DE on Sat and Sun - started working on the car. Got the header panel mounted up, secured the front bumper, and ran the vacuum line to the wastegate. Tried to start the car again - still wouldn't start. After a bit of working on it with the help of a couple of guys (thanks Andy, Kevin, and Doug) we found three of my 4 spark plugs were fouled - had been having trouble with the car running rich. Kevin (kasturbo) pulled three plugs out of his 968 Turbo, installed them in the car and she started right up.

Headed out for the nerve racking maiden lap, and other than running crazy rich, ran OK, although my boost controller was not yet set and I spiked up to 23 psi for a second.. Turned a dozen or so laps without any other problems other than the rich tune.

Saturday:
Made some changes to the TEC3 to pull back some of the fuel and the car ran great - fantastic acceleration and tons of grip. Still running rich but not near as bad. Ran a couple sessions and then someone noticed that my balance shaft belt was way too tight and the cam belt tensioner roller was the wrong roller. I didn't build the engine, so can’t take the blame for that whoops but didn’t notice it either - felt like an idiot. Called Eric Steinel who was coming to the track and he said he would bring the belt gauge and new roller.

Sunday:
One of the Steinels techs also was instructing for me and installed the new roller and tensioned my belts. Went out for a session right after lunch and the car ran great. Still blown away by the acceleration, braking and grip of a car this light (2375# with 1/2 tank of gas). Was having a blast, accelerating out of T13, saw the checkered flag when I hear a loud bang from the back of the car and lost drive. Got towed in - sort of embarrassing when you are the event chair - and found the driver’s side CV bolts had backed out and snapped off. Managed to scrounge some used CV bolts and got it together for 1/2 of the last session.

All and all the weekend went well. I expected problems during the shakedown, and was prepared to deal with them - luckily all the problems I had were fairly easy to correct. Nelson is crazy bumpy and knocked my alignment out of whack - steering wheel was at 30 deg at the end of the weekend, but that is no big deal. Going to replace all my CV bolts just in case and need to get to the dyno to fine tune the fuel curve. Also need to get some numbers and graphics on it. A group of us went in and bought a vinyl cutter so I can play with some different livery options. Was thinking I should go with 666 as the car number in honor of my street address but the wife wasn't in to that.

I have a bunch of pics to upload but am getting an error when I try to upload them, so I just have a couple that were posted by others on the 944Fest threads.
Old 06-08-2009, 11:41 PM
Skip Wolfe
Rennlist Member

Old 06-09-2009, 12:01 AM
944Fest (aka Dan P)
Unaffiliated

Received 205 Likes on 133 Posts
Thumbs up

Well done Skip! Thanks for everything. Here are a couple pics you missed!
Glad to see her out there.
Attached Images   
Old 06-09-2009, 12:11 AM
Nurburger
Rennlist Member

Received 651 Likes on 274 Posts

Skip,
Nice to meet you at the fest & congrats for getting the car runing well enough to break the cv bolts!
Here are a few pictures I took just before your run on Saturday afternoon.

Thanks also for your efforts in organizing the fest.
Old 06-09-2009, 12:48 AM
eclou
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1,224 Likes on 599 Posts

looking good!
Old 06-09-2009, 05:36 AM
Duke
Nordschleife Master

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts

Very cool. Nice report!
Congrats on surviving the first shakedown - that's a big step and an important milestone
Old 06-09-2009, 05:37 AM
Duke
Nordschleife Master

Oh and you should update the first post with the current spec's of the car.
Old 06-09-2009, 08:52 AM
333pg333
Rennlist Member

Received 96 Likes on 79 Posts

Skip, fantastic job and car looks great. A couple of observations. The first pic of you on the track looks like the RH rear is lifting off the ground, is that an illusion or just testament to the bumpy track? Also, in the 2nd track pic it looks like your rears have considerably more neg than the fronts. Again, optical illusion?
What size tyres are you running there?
Man I can't imagine such a light car. It must be amazingly responsive and so quick to go and stop. Looks like a ball of fun.
Well done!!
Old 06-09-2009, 09:11 AM
Duke
Nordschleife Master

The first pic must be an illusion since the car is turning slightly to the left.
Agree that it looks like the rears have more neg. camber than the fronts, but it might be accentuated in that pic if he is accelerating heavily in.
My god that car is light, as you say Patrick, it must be a dream to drive!

Quick Reply: Rebirth of a racecar - project pics