Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

951 Exhaust Hardware *LIST FINISHED*

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-2006, 12:02 AM
gregeast
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 41 Likes on 32 Posts

Matt - I don't believe that the nuts were self locking. I think I bought them from 944Online...or was it Paragon?

Edit: Looks like it was Paragon
http://www.paragon-products.com/prod..._exnutpack.htm
Old 02-24-2006, 12:22 AM
ENGINEERMAN
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Please include a set for me.

Hi Artie:

I have my complete exhaust system apart and would like to replace all of the hardware including those torx header studs and self locking copper nuts (that's what I had on my car but they seem to be loose and could use replacing). If you do not have the locking ones the others should be fine.

Please let me know how to pay you. When do you think you can send out the kits? Please advise.

Thanks!

Tom
Old 02-24-2006, 01:29 AM
RT930turbo
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 30 Likes on 17 Posts

Matt:

I have been thinking about the cap screws as well, but I am undecided. I can get the correct 37mm length, but they are quite expensive as they are considered a "custom item" I am planning on experementing with the entire kit this weekend, my plan is to mock it up with regular steel metric hardware just to be 100% positive it all works, for example if the clearance will be unnacceptable by switching from 37 - 40mm. I just want to be positive it is a perfect no hassle kit for everybody, so I think some trial fittment is in order before we spend a few hundred dollars collectively on hardware.

The other snag I ran into was on the studs I had planned to use for the wastegate and turbo connections, after a some further investigation, I can't get stainless studs like I thought, so I'm hunting again to find the right lengeths. I can purchase the High grade stainless threaded stock and make my own, but I'm not to fond of that idea, any opinions?

It looks like the 8mm locknuts will ultimately be sourced from paragon, seems like they have the best deal out there for the 8mm size at least. I am planning to contact them to see if I can get a deal on a bulk purchase, if not they are still very reasonably priced.

For those of you who still want to order hardware, its not too late, just drop a PM to me with your needs and I will advse on payment later. Check this thread for any updates, I figure wehen I am positive everything works I will post a last call, and then order the stuff. I trust you guys so I will just order it then accept check or pay-pal etc. and get shipping info from each of you.

Looks like the saturn studs are a go, I just have to make sure I can get enough for everybody in a reasonable amount of time, I don't think they are a high stock item at the dealer. They shouldn't change the price of the kit much, if at all.

Thanks for all the help with this, everyone's ideas and input have been invaluable, and I think we are putting together the exhaust kit we have all looked for.

Old 02-24-2006, 09:48 AM
zerMATT951
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by gregeast
Matt - I don't believe that the nuts were self locking. I think I bought them from 944Online...or was it Paragon?

Edit: Looks like it was Paragon
http://www.paragon-products.com/prod..._exnutpack.htm
Paragon's exhaust nut says that it's both a self-locker *and* with a flange, but their picture must be of a different nut, because it does not have a flange.

Artie - Do you want me to see how much Don pays for his version? I think he sources them locally, they may be pretty inexpensive. If that's the case, I could easily pick some up and ship them up to - you'd have them in your hands by Tuesday potentially.

Last edited by zerMATT951; 02-24-2006 at 10:30 AM.
Old 02-24-2006, 10:23 AM
gregeast
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 41 Likes on 32 Posts

Matt - Thanks for the offer but, uh, I already have a set on the car, that's where the pic came from. Maybe that message was meant for someone else?
Old 02-24-2006, 10:30 AM
zerMATT951
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by gregeast
Matt - Thanks for the offer but, uh, I already have a set on the car, that's where the pic came from. Maybe that message was meant for someone else?
Sorry - got the names mixed up... will edit that to change
Old 02-24-2006, 05:19 PM
z3bra
Racer

If you've got to have the copper nuts in a hurry, call around to any VW bug performance shop places, they almost always have them in stock and they're also usually 12mm across the flats like JIS (Japanese) spec nuts. Helps a little with the clearances.

The good ones are prevailing torque type all metal locknuts and you can usually tell by looking as they'll be somewhat of a squished triangular shape viewed from the top instead of round. They usually go for about $6 bucks a set or so.
Old 02-26-2006, 03:59 PM
RT930turbo
Addict
Rennlist Member

Hi guys,

I got pretty bogged down with work this weekend, but I am stll planning on doing a mockup of the exhaust tonight. Maybe we can even get an order placed tommorow. I'll let you all know how it goes...
Old 02-27-2006, 03:10 PM
RT930turbo
Addict
Rennlist Member

I test fit the kit this weekend and everything should work as planned. I will be ordering tonight after work or tommorow morning. If you are interested in a kit make sure you have PM'd me with your needs. When I get home tonight I will post a roll call with all the orders I have recieved. I you don't see your name, please PM me and let me know what you need. Talk to you all soon.
Old 02-27-2006, 03:25 PM
zerMATT951
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Artie - did those 40mm cap screws work out on the header to x-over pipe connection?
Old 02-27-2006, 07:58 PM
cheetah chrome
Addict
Rennlist Member

RT930Turbo,
How many people have shown interest in the kit (I emailed you last week)? Just wondering if there is enough to do a group buy for the exhaust crush rings also...

Thanks,
Dennis
Old 02-27-2006, 09:35 PM
951Boost
Rennlist Member

Just wondering if there is enough to do a group buy for the exhaust crush rings also...
Yup, I would be up for a couple sets of those ^^^^^^^^^^^^
Old 02-28-2006, 02:53 AM
RT930turbo
Addict
Rennlist Member

Ok heres the list,

Orders

Cheetah chrome – 1 complete Turbo kit
951Boost - 1 Complete Turbo Kit, Extra Nuts
ENGINEERMAN- 1 Complete Kit
SamGrant951-1 Complete Turbo Kit
MR951- 1 Complete Turbo kit
CurlyDE- 1 Turbo Kit, 1 NA kit

Others that expressed interest in the thread…but did not PM me

Danny951 – Turbo Kit
John Welch- Turbo Kit

I just want to make sure you guys want these for sure before I order them.

FYI- I think the 40mm stainless cap screws are a good bet per Matt's suggestion...Looks like it will make it a lot easier to tighten those stupid things.

Another issue I ran accross as metioned earlier was the availability of stainless studs in the proper length for the turbo and wastegate connections. I can get 10.9 steel studs in the proper length, or I can purchase the high quality stainless threaded rod and cut / re-machine the threads to work. I have no problem doing either...some feedback would be good here. (mainly because with my Tial setup I have eliminated the wastegate studs, and my T04B has brand new studs in it from the turbo builder, so I won't be needing them anyway.)

I want to make sure everybody is aware of what they are getting.

---I have decided to include the saturn studs and enough lock nuts to do the
primary connections as well. This was not part of the original plan, but
since it seems popular, it sounds good to me.

---The copper nuts with be sourced through Matt (ZerMATT951) thanks to his generous offer to help us get the best deal possible on them. Those of you that want extras, it looks like they will be in the $.25 range, corret me if I am wrong, Matt.

--- M6 copper nuts are next to immposible to find, those will most likely end up being all metal prevailing tourque lock-nuts. These are great quality, but if they ever need to be removed, they most likely ruin the threads. There are ony a few M6 connections, so this should not be a huge concern, as always I am certainly open to suggestions / sources.

---All other M8 / M10 nuts will be the locking copper type. M8's will have the 12mm flats to make them easier to get a socket on in tight spots.

I plan to order this stuff very soon, so after e iron out these last few issues, I'll have a much better ETA for everyone.

Thanks to all of you that have been such a help
Old 02-28-2006, 02:55 AM
RT930turbo
Addict
Rennlist Member

As for the group buy it looks like there are 8-10 of us in on this thing, I already have my gaskets, but If it comes down to group buy, or no group buy, I could always use some extras.
Old 02-28-2006, 05:11 AM
Crazy Eddie

Rennlist Member

Received 69 Likes on 52 Posts

Hi Guys
I just saw this thread
Just an FYI, Brian ( z3bra )He knows his ****, mentioned to me when I did all this, that I should probably stay away from SS as it had a tendency to soften over time with heat cycling.
I would stick to 8.8 or 10 hardness bolts if I were you guys. But that's MHO
I had a list as well but have been away from Rennlist for some time now
Good luck and best regards
Ed

Quick Reply: 951 Exhaust Hardware *LIST FINISHED*