Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Intercooler up grade made by Autobahn Garage in NW Ohio

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-2006, 01:31 AM
Cliff Ruckstuhl
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So ther is really only one way to say if this is worth it is to hit the Dyno? Number's wont lie

WOlf PAck 88 951
Old 02-17-2006, 01:42 AM
theedge
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Old 02-17-2006, 01:43 AM
951North
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Wolf Pack
So ther is really only one way to say if this is worth it is to hit the Dyno? Number's wont lie

WOlf PAck 88 951

Precisely, back to back and then look at the numbers...

and I don't think more flow = more power...

more flow at same pressure (not boost but IC outlet pressure) = more air AND when combined with more fuel = more power...

j.
Old 02-17-2006, 01:48 AM
docwyte
Rennlist Member

Received 515 Likes on 346 Posts

I personally put more stock in the Porsche engineers than a "tooner".
Old 02-17-2006, 03:24 AM
Olli Snellman
Race Car

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Was it flow tested Olli
We have not flow tested it. The only thing we have noticed is a temperature drop with this modified cooler. I have a modified and non modified coolers available. I suppose i will do some dyno tests while tuning up my MAP kit, then i have a possibilty to test both coolers. Unfortunately this will happen next summer, so it will take a little time.
Old 02-17-2006, 09:03 AM
kasturbo
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by T Tanner
In time I plan to do a dyno run side by side and post the results
Tad, if you have access to a dyno, I'll volunteer to be a test dummy. If the thing makes more power, you'll get my money. I need a couple weeks to finish up my beast and then I'll be ready.
Old 02-17-2006, 03:55 PM
Cliff Ruckstuhl
Burning Brakes

I have heard all the thoughts on doing the mod to the IC some say no and yet we have vendors selling the mod advertising with one vendor showing a 18% increase in flow. To me it looks like the right thing to do. So I am asking, why did Porsche design the 951 IC with what looks like a air choking end cap? From what I have read and seen on the Renn List with the people racing the car is most if not all have installed larger IC. If we install a larger IC are we not also increasing the flow and the cooling surface? Looking at the IC today it looks like to me that air will follow the least path of resistance and looking at the front of the input end cap it looks to me like the air going in will not even make it to the front side of the IC. I could see that it would look like one could slice a wedge out of the IC starting at the front side of the IC where the end caps meets up with the core. I am having trouble seeing where much air is being feed into the leading edge of the IC because where the end cap is connected to the Core ther is just not hardly any open space between the core and the end cap. Wouldnt the leading edge of the IC be the best place for air to flow where it would be getting the most out of what an IC does?

If you know the answers please show me the light on how the Porsche design is better? If changing the end cap is wrong then why is the Porsche end cap so right???

Wolf Pack 88 951

Last edited by Cliff Ruckstuhl; 02-17-2006 at 05:00 PM.
Old 02-17-2006, 04:01 PM
docwyte
Rennlist Member

Received 515 Likes on 346 Posts

Not to be mean, but that's pure conjecture. Until it's put on a flowbench and a dyno, it's all BS.
Old 02-17-2006, 06:18 PM
lleroyb
Burning Brakes

If the majority of the air is moving through the front, the outside air cooling the aft tubes would be seeing warmer air. It looks to me like Porsche was trying to achieve and even and minimum temperature at the outlet end of the combustion air, at the expense of some pressure drop. As someone said, it is the temperature of the air that is important (and guards against detonation). Need it to breathe better? Turn up the boost. Increased flow accross the outside of the intercooler should be the goal of a modification of the intercooler or nose panel. That would yield more power and safety.

Lou
Old 02-17-2006, 06:22 PM
lleroyb
Burning Brakes

Also, yet another variable. As ST posted, dyno's don't do an intercooled car justice. The portable fan does not produce the air flow of road speed. So a dyno run might not give a true comparison between two ICs.

Lou
Old 02-17-2006, 08:20 PM
User 41221
Banned

Received 173 Likes on 108 Posts

Wolf, Porsche designed the intercooler using very sound principles. Again, I suggest you read up on Bernoulli's theorum if you don't believe me. The limitations on the stock intercooler are based pretty much on size and surface area, not internal design. There ARE gains to be had by modifying the intercooler, but they are to be had by making the surface area bigger or by trying to reduce the ambient external temp (either by trying to direct more air through it or spraying it with a cooling agent), not by trying to increase the flow inside the existing one.

Did you notice that the narrow side of the intercooler has a slight curve to it? DO you think that they would bother engineering something like that into the product, at rather significant cost over just having a straight piece, if there were no benefit to it. Again, read up on flow dynamics if you don't want to believe me.

Regards,
Old 02-17-2006, 08:23 PM
aeronautica86
Three Wheelin'

as has been said before, this is worthless without back to back dyno pulls, which I am waiting on to make my judgement on the soundness of this mod

Quick Reply: Intercooler up grade made by Autobahn Garage in NW Ohio