Dyno'd the 951 today.

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-2006, 04:33 AM
ehall
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by porshhhh951
sorry it was a typo. I ment to say turbo spool up. I was saying it was off the charts rich before fine tuning hurting full spool.

I actually generate more tq and hp lower in the rev range now. Jimbo was making a comment about the slower spool and everything. I get full boost by 2900 rpms in 4th.

Ofcourse like I said all this is a mood point. The car is slow and always will be. Our cars are ment to make alot of hp. It costs alot more to get 400whp outta a 951 then alot of other cheeper alternatives.

To silverbullet if the guy said he would get you 480whp and is only going to charge you 4k even if it costs him 20k then hell take advantage of it.

I do have a lindsey head on the car now and a few other things since the 301/341 dyno way back in late 04/early 05. But, the engine could use new seals and the turbo is tired now. I have been looking to upgrade for a long time now(nothing new) so hopefully that happens this year.

I think 380-400hp in a 951 is more than enough to have fun with. Our cars will never be the fastest thing out there. Its just simply old technology. There might be a few 951's on here that run very strong and make good #'s but, most of us have around 300rwhp or so......which these days really aint ****.

I say drive your 951 and be happy. Enjoy the way it responds and fits you. Forget trying to be fast...its a loosing battle.
before getting back to the topic, first this.
A "mood"point it is not.
A moot point it may be.
"2 : deprived of practical significance : made abstract or purely academic"

That is the definition of moot as used as an adjective.
No offense bro, just a peev of mine. shrug.
Old 02-15-2006, 04:37 AM
ehall
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

i pretty much hate name brand "kits"

on my GTI right now i have a used chip (GIAC) with ebay DP+home made catback, and 5 degrees advaced timing. i payed $425 for it all (plus shipping and installation of the chip) and was making MORE power then whose who were buying the $700 apr chip, $1100 turbo back exhaust, $100 intakes. and $300 boost controlers.

i havnt quite got a grasp on the whole maf thing for you guys (i just unpluged mine and i run off a tunable base map.) so im not sure that $2000 maf is needed. but alot of that other stuff is just paying for the name!

any car can be cheaply modded to high HP....but it will lose all hope of relibility. thats the main point im really trying to get across. that and name brands are a waste in most cases.[/QUOTE]

[QUOTE=gtianator]Originally Posted by jgporsche
Vitesse MAF kit - $1850

72# injectors - $350---ebay is alot cheaper.....

Lindsey Racing Dual Port Wastegate w/ Manual Boost Controller - $465---again ebay plus homedepo boost controller = about $150

Vitesse Racing Wasted Spark Ignition - $825

Speed Force Racing Intercooler - $1035 ---ebay = about $400

Lindsey Racing Intercooler Pipes - $350---ebay universal about $100

Zeitronix ZT-2 wideband - $520 ---more like $300 MAX for a decent one.

Lindsey Racing 3" exhaust - $764--HOME MADE...all it is is a few bends and some straight pipe. just buy and weld it. made mine for my 1.8t gti for about $100.

Watching you blow up a Porsche because you don't know what the F*&k you're talking about.....PRICELESS!
Old 02-15-2006, 04:38 AM
FSAEracer03
TRB0 GUY
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by ehall
Even the strongest 2.5l turbo on this board, that dynoed at 633 hp, doesn't run over 380 hp on a day to day basis....
Holy crap.. who topped 600whp???

Wait... 633bhp or 633whp?
Old 02-15-2006, 04:46 AM
ehall
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

See the hp thread pasted to the top of the board. Here's a hint, his name starts with "special".
Old 02-15-2006, 04:47 AM
ehall
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

opps 533, but at that level who gives a crap.
Old 02-15-2006, 04:50 AM
DFASTEST951
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Well I was going to answer Silverbullet but Ehall took care of it for me. I want to add that I'm not as mechanically inclined as a lot of these guys on the board here and I paid a serious professional to build my motor. I have NO tuning issues and haven't put a dime into the car in five years. Never an idle issue. I hear that others who have built motors for people don't run right. I didn't even know that. For $40k, you get perfection. Also, I will ad as I stated in another thread. I am running 52lb injectors(too small), a stock header and stock 2 1/2 inch exhaust. I am also, you guys are going to go nuts when you read this...running Autothority Chips. So, I actually have what I call a big boy walking in the park. I have a lot of power to be had on my motor. This set up was built first for reliability, power second. So, Silver bullet, listen to these guys as even I, who learning more and more every day from these boards, say you won't get those numbers without you seeing them and the head, rod, etc., blow before your very eyes on the dyno. Hey...I just sounded like I may know a thing or two. Thanks you guys!

P.S. Silver, $40k is a lot, but there's an open invite if you want to come to vegas and go for a spin. I only pop the hood to show people the motor and all I buy is gas.
Old 02-15-2006, 10:07 AM
Silverbullet951
Race Car

I don't know guys. You might be right, but consider this. I'm not taking my 951 to a guy who doesn't know what he's doing. He's been in the racing scene, he races the cars he works on, and he has over 20 years of experience on 911's 944's, etc. I met a guy with a black 951 making 475 whp on his 951. I saw the dyno sheet, and he told me all the mods he had on the car. Total investment on the motor - about 8K. He brought the car to the same guy I'm bringing it to. So maybe I'm hallucinating here, or someone has a really good scam goin on here, OR, maybe it's true. I'll have to find out when the car is all finished. I'm hoping for the latter case...lol.
Old 02-15-2006, 10:09 AM
A.Wayne
Formula One Spin Doctor
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by DFASTEST951

P.S. Silver, $40k is a lot, but there's an open invite if you want to come to vegas and go for a spin. I only pop the hood to show people the motor and all I buy is gas.
Hey ! what , no oil changes !
Old 02-15-2006, 10:32 AM
toddk911
Drive-by provocation guy
Rennlist Member

Ehall:

You make an excellent point. I think we are all aware of the fact that 80% of the tuning and parts for our cars can be had and worked on for MUCH cheaper then the tuners/aftermarket is charging.

Since you mention the MAF, I know for a fact you can get a used 50$ Ford MAF and a piggy back/custom chips and be on your way. Same with a lot of other aspects to our cars, but then you have to be very able to do a lot of work yourself and/or have the time and money in the end for a lot of trial and error.

I have tried to find a middle ground of not just throwing money out the door, yet not doing things cheap and half assed. Also as you mention the exhaust. I have as 3" cat back for 350$ installed. Now, if I could have welded myself, would have cost me 150$...TOTAL!! A far cry from the 600-700 others charge. Same with IC like you mention. But then again you must be able to weld.

But the other side to that is the point Dfast makes about "spend the money, plug and play and your done". Much like we hear with the VR "kits". You pay a lot, but it is installed and done and no more fiddling or major tuning, if any at all, and you can be out driving instead of constanlty tweaking and fiddling.

So it all works out to 6 of one half dozen of the other
Old 02-16-2006, 12:38 AM
DFASTEST951
Rennlist Member

A.Wayne, your right, I forgot oil! I buy lots of oil. Change every 500 to 1,000 miles.

Quote from toddk911, "So it all works out to 6 of one half dozen of the other". So true...
Old 02-16-2006, 01:58 AM
FSAEracer03
TRB0 GUY
Rennlist Member

DFASTEST... you got 565bhp from four 52# injectors? What fuel pressure are you running, out of curiousity?
Old 02-16-2006, 02:03 AM
DFASTEST951
Rennlist Member

It was actually 564 (480whp). Set at 50 psi.
Old 02-16-2006, 03:06 AM
FSAEracer03
TRB0 GUY
Rennlist Member

Correct me if I'm wrong, but how did you manage that? At 50psi, those injectors are, in essence, flowing like 55# injectors (55.75 to be precise). [52*sqrt(50)/sqrt(43.5)]

4 injectors flowing 55.75#/hr will yield 457bhp at 100% duty cycle.

123% duty cycle? ...wild.
Old 02-16-2006, 04:20 AM
MPD47
The Carnage King
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by gtianator
any car can be cheaply modded to high HP....but it will lose all hope of relibility.
Couldnt have said it better myself. There is a reason my car only saw 50 miles last year. While the 951 is a hell of a platform and has a huge amount of potential. You'll find that when you spend that money on your new turbo, exhaust, management, etc. That there ends up being alot of "oh ****, that really should be replaced type items." Alot of parts you'll try, not like, try something else, etc. I'm at the point where the only things NOT relpaced on my car atleast once are the torque tube, tub, and dash/cluster. And everything in that group has been seperated atleast once. The road to series power and handling is not an easy one, nor is it one that is light on the wallet. Sure, you can make big power for under 10grand, but how long it'll stay together if you do not do the "While I'm in there" type stuff is a different story. Hell, just add up all the hardware you should replace while taking that stuff apart!
Old 02-16-2006, 10:35 AM
toddk911
Drive-by provocation guy
Rennlist Member

Yes. On any older performace car you always, no matter how painfully expensive, take the "while your in there" approach. That is were a $500 parts/labor job turns into $2,000 !!!!

Dfast: how high of a fuel pressure can we run and not become a static pressure issue???

Quick Reply: Dyno'd the 951 today.