Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Dyno'd the 951 today.

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-2006 | 12:36 AM
FSAEracer03
TRB0 GUY
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by ehall
Kevin his stuff was all set up by Powerhaus. He doesn't screw around with their set up. You'd be better off asking them. Joe got it figured out. Let them do it, and go drive the **** out of it. He's a gear haed but not a wrench turner. I believe that dyno was done not too long after the car was broken in about three years ago. Think about all of the new options available now. He's looking into them all.
I think you're missing my point. I'm just pointing out that 4x52# injectors does not equal 480whp. I am curious as to whats up.
Old 02-19-2006 | 04:13 AM
DFASTEST951
Rennlist Member

FSAEracer03, They are only 52lb injectors. Dyno Comp in Scottsdale AZ did the dyno. They are a Renntech Authorized Dealer for Mercedes. Powerhaus went to them as they would be unbiased and they used a Dyno Dynamics Chassis dynomometer in order to produce and show a load as if it were on the street. My motor was built 6 years ago and I am looking into everything that is new out now as ehall said.
Tool, My KKK is a hybrid custom one off that David built. PK951 is right. ImagineAuto does some crazy things with 930's using kkk's with much better wheels. Also custom. I hang out with Lance J once in a while and he can vouch for the car just taking off. He's a wrencher himself. I'd really have to see, feel a turbo as big as mine spool faster and harder. I've been in a few fast 930's, a GT2, and some supras with Garrett's. I spool quick, and it pushes air of a much bigger turbo. IIRC, David was going to set my car up with a Garrett right up until he built this one and he said the one I have worked better. He's a hell of an engine builder. Can't wait to get some new things on it.
Old 02-19-2006 | 10:52 AM
pk951
Burning Brakes

On the subject those 52-lb injectors they could flow as much as 65-lb from other brands,or more.

Joe made a point that he is running rich at full power. So its not a lack fuel, maybe fine tuning to get the AFR right.
Old 02-19-2006 | 10:54 AM
OriginalSterm
Race Car

they may be 52# injectors, but at 3 bar fuel pressure. if he's running higher pressure, they have a higher statit flow rate.
Old 02-19-2006 | 08:50 PM
FSAEracer03
TRB0 GUY
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by OriginalSterm
they may be 52# injectors, but at 3 bar fuel pressure. if he's running higher pressure, they have a higher statit flow rate.
Originally Posted by DFASTEST951
It was actually 564 (480whp). Set at 50 psi.
Originally Posted by pk951
On the subject those 52-lb injectors they could flow as much as 65-lb from other brands,or more.

Joe made a point that he is running rich at full power. So its not a lack fuel, maybe fine tuning to get the AFR right.
If he has some trick "52 pounders" that flow 65 at 3bar, then he really has (effectively) 69.x# fuel injectors at 50psi. That equates to 571bhp at 100% duty cycle, and he's running rich on his charts.

I'm just curious as to what the hell injectors are on there if he's apperently making 480whp (564bhp) and running rich.
Old 02-19-2006 | 10:12 PM
MPD47
The Carnage King
Rennlist Member

Joe, here's what I'm saying (and I'm trying not to be a trolling ***** here). You dont seem to know what parts are on your car, 52# injectors, other little things from countless past posts. You also dont seem to know what boost levels you're running (again, but admissions in this and previous posts). How can any sane person who doesnt seem to really know the way a setup was built play with the little black **** as much as you do? Dont get me wrong, I love your car and appriciate the time and money that went into it. It doesnt make any sense to me...
Old 02-20-2006 | 11:00 AM
toddk911
Drive-by provocation guy
Rennlist Member

Well, might be an issue of theory vs. true life.

I know my mech ran his (very acurate) duty cycle test on mine with 18psi and stock AFM and said his meter never showed over.80 for stock injectors.

With now 42# injectors, and MAF I am at 18psi and have the high dialed back about "10 o clock" and still reading 11.5 and more. So there is PLENTY of fuel left.
Old 02-20-2006 | 11:14 AM
RKD in OKC
Rennlist Member

The rating of injectors is at a specific fuel pressure. Beyond that pressure they don't flow at that rate so you can not really use that flow rate in any kind of calculation for maximum possible horsepower for any brand of injectors running at more than their rated fuel pressure.

My car had fuel left on my 21 psi 400 rwhp dyno run with 48# injectors. And yes, my static fuel pressure was set above the rated pressure of the injectors.
Old 02-20-2006 | 12:21 PM
Duke
Nordschleife Master

There's a forumula to calculate the new flow after a change in pressure so there is no need for guess work.

If they are indeed 52 lbs they would flow 55.75 lbs @ 50 psi instead of the standard 43.5 psi.
Old 02-20-2006 | 01:04 PM
OriginalSterm
Race Car

he may have been running more than 50 psi fuel pressure as well.
Old 02-20-2006 | 01:44 PM
FSAEracer03
TRB0 GUY
Rennlist Member

Duke, check my previous posts.

Sterm, check Joe's previous posts.

Old 02-20-2006 | 06:59 PM
Duke
Nordschleife Master

Oh yeah I saw that later on, sorry!
Old 02-20-2006 | 07:49 PM
DFASTEST951
Rennlist Member

MPD47, I don't take offense to you at all. I know when I first came on these boards, I tout my lack of knowledge, but thanks to all of you guys and endless hours reading and conversing and then talking more with David at Powerhaus (he encourages me to learn more about my set up in case I need to wrench on it), I've learned quite a bit. I still don't like to wrench but I am a gearhead no doubt and I know of my set up pretty well. I'm not just "playing with the little black dial". I'm very careful with my motor and I'm a quick study. In fact, that is the reason I went to dyno it. I wanted to see for myself how the Autothority chips were working on my car. I've read they run rich midrange and lean out a bit too much up top. You guys turned out to be true. I even turned up the fuel pressure to 53 psi to see if it would help. It actually hurt my performance. Black smoke and so rich, I went off the chart midrange. Most likely around 8 or even 7, and then still lean up top. So rich in fact it wouldn't let me boost higher than 1 bar. Turned it down and got it to where it worked as good as it can with the chips. That's the problem, the chips. Autothority were the chips to go with when my motor was built. Now, there are better (Vitesse). Lance J was there at the dyno with me. In fact, I'll let him vouch for my Turbo being quick and powerful. I've been working with Powerhaus for years. David has been around since 1987. He really know what he's doing. He's done countless back to back comparisons on the turbos he builds and the garretts. They require more to fit right and don't push any harder than the ones he builds with reliability issues as well. Imagine Auto is using them as well. Now for the injectors. Ready, they are Bosch. Made for a turbo charged Ford application. David made billet o rings to make them fit. He showed me himself on the spray pattern of the Bosch versus the Siemens. No comparison whatsoever. I know I come off not knowing too much but I ask a ton of questions and then make a decision. I've learned a lot from you guys but I don't put my two cents in too much as you guys try to argue your points which comes from a lot of hands on knowledge that is very credible, but, if you want the best injectors, I've seen the two head to head. Go with the Bosch. Need proof? look at my car and what it puts out...no static issues either as they were made to work with the low ohms our cars put out.
Old 02-20-2006 | 08:33 PM
FSAEracer03
TRB0 GUY
Rennlist Member

Most likely around 8 or even 7, and then still lean up top. So rich in fact it wouldn't let me boost higher than 1 bar.
Ehh... motors begin to shut down around that area. Black smoke is present under ~10.5-11. Do you not have a wideband on your car? Without one, or without dyno proof, why play with the boost and fuel pressure?

Need proof? look at my car and what it puts out...no static issues either as they were made to work with the low ohms our cars put out.
Our cars put out resistance?

EDIT: Out of curiousity, what fuel and spark management do you have beyond the APE chips?
Old 02-20-2006 | 08:47 PM
DFASTEST951
Rennlist Member

There was some black smoke. I needed the dyno cause I had to tweek the fuel pressure to pass emissions. Needed to put it back to where it was and used the dyno to do it. My car was set up to play with the boost up to 21 or 22psi. Now I want to go further. Stock motronics.

Quick Reply: Dyno'd the 951 today.