Notices
944 Turbo and Turbo-S Forum 1982-1991
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

there is no replacement for dis...technology (astonishing hp and vid inside)

Search this Thread

Old 12-19-2005, 06:00 AM
blodstrupmoen
Pro

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

Get out of the dark, please.

.... Most serious street cars today are between 500 and 1000bhp..

Was searching for a serious EVO, but found this

Audi UR Quattro
2450cc 5 cyl Audi 20v
916 Hp(@7600) 949Nm(@6400)
10,038 0-402m
1,63 60 ft.
224.98 km(140 mph

URQ DRAG

Found some more interesting ...

Bmw M5 vs Supra

vs-motor

Last edited by blodstrupmoen; 12-19-2005 at 06:18 AM.
Old 12-19-2005, 09:29 AM
TRWright
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We don't treat people like that on Rennlist.
I thought you would have learned your lesson after ban #1, I guess not.
Here is another 30 days.
Old 12-19-2005, 01:15 PM
Bob Rouleau

Still plays with cars.
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 256 Likes on 119 Posts

I read through this thread because I was curious to see how A.Wayne got himself banned. In all the 'discussion' about horsepower, a couple of things have been sidelined (I think).

I have seen a Supra drag car with over 1000 HP and astonishing quarter mile times. I am also aware that the engine needs to be rebuilt every ten runs or so. Fine for a pro drag car, not good for a road race.

There are examples of relatively small displacement Porsche engines making huge power, the 935 for example, less than 3 liters and it made 650 HP in endurance trim (le Mans) and 750 HP for races up to 2 hours duration. Of course 1.5 liter F1 engines made 1000 or more HP and could endure a 2 hour race. Turbos can do amazing things if you are prepared to spend the money to beef things up and use exotic technology like pneumatic vales (Renault started that as I recall).

Back in school, a Mech Eng prof astounded us by showing the logical progression from a single cylinder diesel engine to a jet. In the desire to increase HP, the turbo was made larger and larger - more HP more lag etc. until such time as the boost prevented accurate control of combustion - which led to "who needs a cylinder and piston anyway, we have enough boost to cause combustion and those reciprocating parts are getting in the way" (a huge turbo = the compressor stages of a turbine engine), but I digress.

Rolex and Special Tool correctly observe that road racing demands more than ultimate HP, throttle response counts for a lot, and they're right. The 935 required gearing changes specific to each track to be competitive, the idea was to keep the engine on boost almost all the time. The Le Mans version used twin turbos to manage lag and provide better fuel economy, the high HP sprint engine was a single turbo. Interesting no?

At the end of the day, I have no doubt that a 951 engine can make 600 HP. Will it be competitive on a racing circuit? Dunno, there are a lot of other factors like gear and axle ratio selection which affect throttle response and a suable power band. Will it be reliable, well, it could be, but how much of the engine will be factory original? It reminds me of my great grandfathers hammer, passed down from one generation to the next. "lasted forever, I was told, been used for 150 years and in all that time it needed on 9 handles and 5 heads."

Regards,

Quick Reply: there is no replacement for dis...technology (astonishing hp and vid inside)