Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Sudden Expulsion of Coolant...

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-2005, 03:39 PM
uberFoo
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy Sudden Expulsion of Coolant...

So, yesterday I was allowing my turbo (86 951) to cool down after coming off the road. It was idling in the carport while I got the mail (just like any other day) and suddenly there was a loud woosh and steam came pouring from all around the hood. I was only about five feet from the car so in practically no time I turned it off and popped the hood open.

Not seeing anything immediately wrong, the hoses from the water pump were intact, I could hear sputtering near the firewall. In fact that is where most of the remaining steam was now coming from. Looking under the car all of the coolant that hadn't evaporated was now on the garage floor - but again, near the rear of the engine.

Today, looking things over I still don't see a broken hose but there is coolant on top of the engine block, underneath the intake manifold.

I'm hoping that some of the more experienced wrenches on the board can tell me what I should be looking for and maybe offer opinions on what may have happened. In the pit of my stomache I know what happened, but I don't want to admit it to myself just yet...

Thanks for your comments.

- Keith
Old 10-21-2005, 03:47 PM
David Floyd
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Heater control valve and associated hoses are in that rear engine area you are talking about
Old 10-21-2005, 03:48 PM
inactiveuser92616
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

check the hoses that go to your heater core
Old 10-21-2005, 03:51 PM
uberFoo
Track Day

So then, the water being on top of the engine block doesn't necessarliy indicate worse things that I won't mention?
Old 10-21-2005, 04:11 PM
R.B.
Instructor

With the hood closed the coolant could have splashed anywhere. Get a coolant system pressure tester and find out where the leak is.

-R.B.
Old 10-21-2005, 04:20 PM
skene
Burning Brakes

When I had one of the hoses on my heater control valve burst I had coolent everywhere. I'd not be too worried about it being on the block and definitely check the heater valve hoses burried down there.
Old 10-21-2005, 08:00 PM
Jimbo951
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

There's a 5" long hose that comes out horizontally out of the rear of the engine and then bends 90 deg downward toward the heater valve and heater core.

I had that hose rupture at Mid-Ohio this year. Luckily it happened just as I came out of the Keyhole and started down the backstraight. The big plume of white smoke told me to slow down. I drove the car into the pits and luckily I didn't warp the head or overheat anything.
Old 10-21-2005, 08:40 PM
ehall
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

they've got this one on the money. I had this happen too.

Quick Reply: Sudden Expulsion of Coolant...