Notices
944 Turbo and Turbo-S Forum 1982-1991
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Should I buy this? Anyone know how to drop a vette engine in it?

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-2005, 10:51 PM
ehall
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Should I buy this? Anyone know how to drop a vette engine in it?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Porsc...QQcmdZViewItem

Well, I was looking at this car. It needs a motor and I don't want to deal with the over inflated prices for porsh parts. Can I drop an engine from a Vette or Camaro in this? I was trying to get info on that porschehyrid.com site, but the guy who runs it is such a tool that you can't be a member unless he "personally approves you after a 24 hour investigation by him" WTF? I guess this guy thinks he's the director of the CIA. Seems more like Maxwell Smart.
ANyway, I have ten grand to put in it, plus the three or four to buy it. Has anyone done this? What do you guys think? Could I put a 951 engine in it? I really don't want the lack of reliability, and all the bolting on of expensiive, unreliable aftermarket crap. Wouldn't a chevy engine be a better choice? Whatcha think? Thanks guys. E

Last edited by ehall; 10-20-2005 at 11:13 PM.
Old 10-20-2005, 11:01 PM
Ian Carr
That Guy
Rennlist Member

Page Not Responding
Old 10-20-2005, 11:14 PM
ehall
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

fixed
Old 10-20-2005, 11:16 PM
Gator_86_951
Spell Checker
Rennlist Member

Received 393 Likes on 296 Posts

iamwritingthisinaformatthatisessentiallyimpossibletoread.sometimesiliket omisseelwords.othertimesiliketobeinflamatory.ihateturbocars.theyareso80s .whywouldispendmoneyonthatwhenicanhaveavetteengineinaporschechassis.what agreatidea.
Old 10-20-2005, 11:29 PM
josephsc
Race Car

Location: Albany, CA: celebrating 100 years of independence from Berkeley, CA
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I thought about that car for my turbo drivetrain and concluded that it was way over-priced. Buy-it-now of $5200 for a car with no engine -- no engine accessories -- no registration since he bought the car -- no thank you.
Old 10-20-2005, 11:32 PM
lart951
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 94 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by ehall

Well, I was looking at this car. It needs a motor and I don't want to deal with the over inflated prices for porsh parts. Can I drop an engine from a Vette or Camaro in this? I was trying to get info on that porschehyrid.com site, but the guy who runs it is such a tool that you can't be a member unless he "personally approves you after a 24 hour investigation by him" WTF? I guess this guy thinks he's the director of the CIA. Seems more like Maxwell Smart.
ANyway, I have ten grand to put in it, plus the three or four to buy it. Has anyone done this? What do you guys think? Could I put a 951 engine in it? I really don't want the lack of reliability, and all the bolting on of expensiive, unreliable aftermarket crap. Wouldn't a chevy engine be a better choice? Whatcha think? Thanks guys. E

Ehall, renegade hybrids will do the job for you for under 18k. The are great advantages of the v8 engine over the stock 4 cyl. You will have a straight torque line, added reliability of the chevy engine and low maintenance cost. The only serious problem reported by hybrid owners has been ***** shrinking it’s often a terminal disease. You will reach total dickless stage by 40. Otherwise the conversion is not a bad idea Porsche 4 cylinder engines suck, a chevy V8 is a better alternative.
Old 10-20-2005, 11:59 PM
Guns951
Race Car

Blasphemy I tell you.....blasphemy. but if you put a turbo on it.....
Old 10-21-2005, 12:12 AM
lart951
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

I found some information that might help you in your decision. Check it out

Quote:
by Jolly, The stock 951S will outbrake any manual 948 out there!! Even my wifes Honda Odyssey has better brake modulation than my LT1!!!!!!

On that one basis alone, I have no illusions, all else being the same (suspension, tires)...drivability, road handling, lap times- the 951S (M3, Corvette, fill in the blank) will eat you up. Accelerating out of the turns will obviously be better with the LT1, but i don't know if that makes up for earlier braking. Heel-toe in my LT1- fugetaboudit

On a straight line, my highly modified 951 would only trail from 0-40mph, then the 348 RWTQ (measured) would take over for the next mile. I have not dynoed my LT1 yet, but I doubt that its near 350 RWHP.

Recently I was at a PCA-DE. I was able to follow 2 new GT3's on the straight. In fact, pull away from them, in my 951 on the long straight. BUT I did notice that they were able to go much deeper before the turn (100ft on the front straight) before before braking. Better driving probably completed the advantage. The brakes are obviously massive on these- one of them had the yellow ceramics. Those tires look bigger than my 275's too.

To complete this picture, the LT1 has to have better brakes.
Old 10-21-2005, 12:21 AM
hosrom_951
UAE Rennlist Ambassador
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by lart951
Ehall, renegade hybrids will do the job for you for under 18k. The are great advantages of the v8 engine over the stock 4 cyl. You will have a straight torque line, added reliability of the chevy engine and low maintenance cost. The only serious problem reported by hybrid owners has been ***** shrinking it’s often a terminal disease. You will reach total dickless stage by 40. Otherwise the conversion is not a bad idea Porsche 4 cylinder engines suck, a chevy V8 is a better alternative.
Old 10-21-2005, 12:32 AM
fast951
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 37 Likes on 27 Posts

Ehall, There is a place in FL that does a nice V8 conversion. If you serious about this, drop me a note, I'll dig out the contact info for you.
Old 10-21-2005, 12:44 AM
lart951
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

You have to admit some of the Porschev guys have an exquisite taste in styling just take a look at these beautiful examples:
Attached Images   
Old 10-21-2005, 01:14 AM
MAFA
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by ehall

Hey dude I wish you good luck with your project, don't forget that you will need to upgrade your suspension. Ask, maybe someone on the list has some konis for sale, just make sure they don't sell them to someone else.
Old 10-21-2005, 01:14 AM
RK951
Rennlist Member

OMG, I think its possible just looking at those cars could result in member shrinkage.
Old 10-21-2005, 02:29 AM
daniel951
Race Car

Those 928's are bad. I want to do a V8 swap now after seeing those pics. I think i might do a blower setup . On the other hand i don't want my ***** to fall off
Old 10-21-2005, 04:09 AM
ehall
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Hmmm, well LART, smart guy, yours must look like a Vienna Sausage then. That dickless board seems to have a Lart 951 section. Is this coincidence? I think not! Apparently I can't view it without being a member of the tiny member board over there? I guess small dick Doug, the Dictator of all things hybrid, thinks his board is so great that he should do "an investigation" on new members. Since I won't do that, why don't you tell me what you and your girlfriends are hiding over there? Until then how bout this...

Quick Reply: Should I buy this? Anyone know how to drop a vette engine in it?