Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

New Sleeves (MID) are finaly here

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-2005, 09:45 PM
Ben Z.
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Chris-

You didn't happen to buy that s2 manifold I posted the link to, did you? I only ask because it looks like I'm moving out east and might actually have a chance to take you up on your offer of a ride!

That engine looks awesome! Maybe in a couple of years...

Thanks,

Ben Z.
Old 02-02-2005, 10:25 PM
David Floyd
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Impressive work !
Old 02-02-2005, 11:12 PM
MySwiss
Pro

Looks good Chris. I see that there is no need for a deck plate with these sleeves, since they not only offer support between each sleeves but also against the block.

You basically solve two problems with these sleeves.
1) you no longer get ,side to side movement in the upper sleeve(less blown head gaskets)
2)stronger and long lasting, replaceble sleeves (can be re-honed or replaced easily)

keep us posted
Old 02-03-2005, 09:44 AM
Chris White
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist Small
Business Sponsor

Received 36 Likes on 27 Posts

Ben – thanks for the link but I got a couple of other tips at the same time – I now have extras!

MySwiss – good call – those are the two of the things that have been on my ‘bitch’ list for a while. The third is the wall thickness. The MID sleeves actually have a thicker wall than stock – and made out of a much stronger material.

To give you an idea of how flexible the stock material is – when we were boring out the alusil cylinders the ‘hole’ would grow about .003” when being bored and then shrink back. This was when the remaining wall thickness was pretty small but it gives you an idea of how flexible the alusil cylinders are – I can just picture them swaying back and forth at full boost!!

Chris White
Old 02-04-2005, 09:30 PM
Sean Hall
Racer

You know what would be really funny... just when you thought you had created the ultimate sleeve for your Porsche, your block cracks!... Funny like you'd want to cry, or kill someone.

Sean
Old 02-04-2005, 11:23 PM
RogueM3
Pro

Originally Posted by Sean Hall
Funny like you'd want to cry, or kill someone.
Old 02-05-2005, 02:39 PM
m42racer
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

"To give you an idea of how flexible the stock material is – when we were boring out the alusil cylinders the ‘hole’ would grow about .003” when being bored and then shrink back. This was when the remaining wall thickness was pretty small but it gives you an idea of how flexible the alusil cylinders are – I can just picture them swaying back and forth at full boost!!"

And you machine more of the parent material away lower in the Block to install the Liners. This MID technology is not new, and is very good. These Liners are held in place by 0.001" - 0.0015" interference fit cold. The 944 and 968 Blocks are very flexible as Chris stated. I'm wondering now why the Deck Plate was chosen over the MID type Liners. MID liners have been around for some time now, and I know that this technology was looked at before the Deck Plate was tried. I do not have any information, but I figure that the Deck Plate ties the Deck Rails together from Twisting as it locks the Front and Back Rails to the sides, does not remove as much parent material, and the "plain Flanged liners are installed into the existing Liner "dry", which in turn are tied to the Deck Plate. Just thinking about it, it seems the Blocks could still twist as the MID Liners are held in place at the top only, in fewer places. The real cause and concern is the weak design of the Bottom end and how much the Crank moves. The block really twists at the Gridle section, and the only part that keeps it all aligned are the Main Bearings themselves. So the idea of locking the Girdle to the lower Block, and reducing the load on the Main bearings, tieing the deck rails together and removing less parent material in the process seem to me to be the better technology.

I think the MID technology is very good, but in this application, it may not offer the advantages it does in other engine applications. I know it is used successfully in the V8 engines, and all of the Honda engines I have seen it in, are used for drag racing and the Blocks are replaced regulary. Both of these applications have a lot more parent material in the Block than does the Porsche I4, nad both of these have a lot stronger Main Cap design. The Ford and LS1 blocks I have seen having the MID Liners fitted at PD have 6 bolt mains.

Regardless, its great to see alternatives offered by more people. Along time ago, I asked and challenged for this to happen. It is now been done. Well done to all. Keep it up. We all will benefit, and now we have choices.
Old 07-29-2005, 06:38 PM
Corleone
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

Any news Chris?
Old 09-19-2005, 05:13 PM
Joseph Imports
Instructor

Bump for any new news on these sleeves. Was pricing ever disclosed?

Alex
Old 09-19-2005, 05:39 PM
evil 944t
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Joseph Imports
Bump for any new news on these sleeves. Was pricing ever disclosed?

Alex

I think he wants $2800 or $2900.. I think its in the thread, towards the beginning.
Old 09-19-2005, 05:47 PM
Chris White
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist Small
Business Sponsor

My My current pricing –
2.5 based block with MID sleeves, JE Pistons, Rings, Wrist pins and clips. Sleeves installed and Plateau honed - $2750. Same thing but 3.0 based - $2850.

I am scheduling some engine dyno time for early next year for the MID 2.6 and 3.1 16v engines (GT30 and GT35 turbos). Should be interesting.

Chris White
Old 09-19-2005, 07:12 PM
MPD47
The Carnage King
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Chris are the 3.1L engines 107mm bore? What is the largest you can go? (Both bore and stroke) Just out of curiosity.
Old 09-20-2005, 01:22 AM
DanG
Three Wheelin'

Chris, how's my 2.7 coming? I'm getting psyched!
Old 09-20-2005, 11:34 AM
Chris White
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist Small
Business Sponsor

The 3.1 is actually 106mm bore – that’s the max you can go with a MID sleeved 3.0 block.

Dan – the JE pistons are a little slower in arriving than normal – I should get them in next week, then we can start up the machining process. I have your crank back and it cleaned up nicely and I got the coated bearings in too.

Chris White
Old 09-20-2005, 12:05 PM
DanG
Three Wheelin'

Cool. I just swapped heads with gcb951, so I should have all the engine stuff coming together soon.

I've been distracted lately. I'm going to be starting up this...

(600cc Briggs and Stratton VTwin + Megasquirt)

And this...

(2.2L Turbo Daytona @ ~300hp)

...in the next two days. And I still have my NA 944 engine on the floor, its turn comes up next.

So I'm anxious, but not really waiting, no big deal.

Quick Reply: New Sleeves (MID) are finaly here