Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Cheap Clutch?

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-2005, 04:25 PM
Zero10
Race Car

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Okay, so for the cup clutch kit, the pressure plate has a higher clamping force? That would probably be a good thing. The clutch I have now slips like crazy under full boost, and this thing has so many boost leaks, it's just sad. Once I get it fixed up, I think I'll roast this clutch by accident.....

Good point on the 125% thing, that will give some room for small modifications as well.
I don't plan to go all out on this car, but whenever something breaks, I use that as a chance to upgrade, so I'm sure I'll do something
Old 01-19-2005, 04:30 PM
David Floyd
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

As I understand it, the pressure plates are the same stock or Cup kit only the disk changes.

I have a pp at home that came with the cup kit, looks stock to me.
Old 01-19-2005, 04:32 PM
rhesus
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Cup clutch should be fine. Here's a few quotes from this thread:
Originally Posted by fast951
On Vitesse Stage 3, 400+rwhp, I use The Cup Clutch without a problem.

If the cup clutch cannot handle the power you have, and if you upgrade to a stronger clutch. More than likely you will start snapping parts...

Driving habits play a big role in clutch life and reliability. Drag racing, dumping the clutch,... are no-no .. Matching RPMs when shifting gears are a must especially with big-HP engines.
Originally Posted by rage2
The most important is the pressure plate. I destroyed a cup clutch in 500miles using stock pressure plate .

Now I use a cup clutch, with the Huntley Racing pressure plate. Works awesome, ZERO slip, even at 450whp.
Old 01-19-2005, 04:38 PM
Zero10
Race Car

Hmm, that confuses me more. I don't know if I should just use the cup kit anymore....
My brain hurts.
Old 01-19-2005, 04:43 PM
David Floyd
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Zero10
Hmm, that confuses me more. I don't know if I should just use the cup kit anymore....
My brain hurts.
For your HP goals stock,Cup or 930 disk will all work and keep a very similar to stock feel, just decide on how much cabbage to spend and make your choice.
Old 01-19-2005, 04:45 PM
tommo951
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by David Floyd
As I understand it, the pressure plates are the same stock or Cup kit only the disk changes.

I have a pp at home that came with the cup kit, looks stock to me.
Check PET...........
Old 01-19-2005, 04:48 PM
David Floyd
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by tommo951
Check PET...........
Do you have part number handy, I will check it against the part number on the Cup PP I have, could it be I was sold a Cup kit and did not get Cup parts........ It would not surprize me.
Old 01-19-2005, 06:01 PM
Jason @ Paragon Products
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

The only difference between the "Cup" or "HD" clutch and the stock item is the disk. Same pressure plate, same throw out bearing, just a disk that eliminates the little springs.

Parts | Tech-Session | Facebook | Youtube

Jason Burkett
Paragon Products - Porsche Parts & Accessories*- 800.200.9366
Tech Session - Porsche Tech & Info*- 361.289.8834
jason@paragon-products.com
Old 01-19-2005, 06:25 PM
Zero10
Race Car

Ahh, well there's the definitive answer!

So, they should both handle the exact same amount of power, unless it is high power that snaps the little springs.
Old 01-19-2005, 06:36 PM
Jason @ Paragon Products
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

There has been more than a few stock 951's with broken springs so I wouldn't say HP is the only determining factor for their demise. Quite frankly, I can't imagine why anyone would want to use the stock disk.
Old 01-19-2005, 06:41 PM
Zero10
Race Car

Cost is my only reason. Vertex sells the stock kit for $579. However, I do not want the springs to fail, and I am a big fan of the service at paragon
Old 01-19-2005, 07:14 PM
facboy
Burning Brakes

for the amount of labour u put into changing out the clutch, it's not worth your while to save the extra $$$ and get the stock disc. it seems even with normal driving, a lot of stock discs fail prematurely because the stupid springs break. you'll likely end up paying more later b/c the stock disc died an early death, either in time or money, or likely both.
Old 01-19-2005, 07:18 PM
Zero10
Race Car

Sounds good. Looks like i'll get the cup disc. Now I have to start saving more money to do this, hopefully I will have the cash by summer.

Thanks guys!
Old 01-19-2005, 08:01 PM
tommo951
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Jason @ Paragon Products
There has been more than a few stock 951's with broken springs so I wouldn't say HP is the only determining factor for their demise. Quite frankly, I can't imagine why anyone would want to use the stock disk.

Hi Jason,
If you buy the AP Racing (Cup Spec) Clutch it comes with a 20% stronger Pressure Plate and still retains cushion springs but of a higher spring rate. You can get the plate without Cushion Springs but it is a bit harsh. Can you guys get AP Racing stuff in US???
Old 01-19-2005, 09:51 PM
ehall
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Zero,

Here are a couple of thoughts.
1. You're in the power range for something close to stock, as has been said.
2. David Floyd has tested, trashed, thrown away, detonated, meat tendorized, cuisinarted, and/or groped, enough clutches lately, to have a pretty good idea about his info,and he makes SERIOUS power and torque. Same for Tommo.
3. No matter what the price, you can't go wrong with Paragon's service standards. If you're within a hundred bucks, for the same or similar products, from elsewhere, spend the extra cash for the knowledge that Paragon's service is a model to all companies.
4. Lastly, Jason, thanks for the quick email response. Skip was nice enough to email me today with an additional ton of great info. I'll call and talk to you guys on Friday. I'm sick of my struts causing my car to feel like a cheap 70's skate board. Bilstein, Koni,??? What's a guy to do?

Quick Reply: Cheap Clutch?