Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Cheap Clutch?

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-2005, 01:36 AM
Zero10
Race Car

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Koni
Thanks for everybody's help, and I've always been a huge fan of Paragon, despite one small issue that's hardly worth mentioning, they've always been great to me.

Once I get the cash, I think Paragon will get my business.
Old 01-20-2005, 01:42 AM
NZ951
Race Director

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by tommo951
That argument has no weight at all.
Lada buld cars as did Trabant but they were both useless I have built several championship winning cars but I don't claim to be a car builder but I recognise better componants than Lada!
Certain Spec clutches are too aggressive for road, end of argument.
On the subject of pressure plates yes they do wear out. The diaphragm gets weaker over a period of time (metal fatigue) Why not look at what the maximun torque you are going to create is multiply it by 125% as I am sure you will occassionally spin the rear wheels and you have to take into account the level of grip and resistance from the tyres and drivetrain. Then go and look for a clutch that will meet your demands.
On the subject of stock clutches when I bought my car it had just had a new stock clutch fitted by the official porsche centre. After 1000 miles I found that if I made an aggressive takeoff from standstill the clutch would slip like a speed skater. At that point my car was stock (250bhp) At the very least you want to look at something that is of sililar clamping force to the cup clutch cover.
As for the pressure plate again the cup spec plate works fine for adventurous road driving and the occassional track day.

Cheers
Tom

Cheers
Tom
well said.
Old 01-21-2005, 11:35 AM
Zero10
Race Car

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

One more small bump in the road. Zims has a 'club sport' clutch kit, and I believe it includes what they call the 'heavy duty centered' clutch. I have to order some other parts from them, and they tell me that it is the cup clutch disc, but does anybody else know for sure? They don't put pictures of it up or anything
Old 01-21-2005, 03:15 PM
Livefreeandrive
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Hi, I bought a sachs clutch kit in person yesterday at Vertex. It was $569. If you want to go nuts why don't you buy the centerforce for sale in the clasifieds for $950=no affiliation. It is my understnading that the clutch does most of the work when initiating movement of the car??????Unless you are drag racing, the stock oem sachs should do the job, right?? If I make 300 hp and redline 2nd gear you are telling me that clutches are slipping??
Old 01-21-2005, 03:19 PM
Matt H
Race Director

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

If you are referring to the one that Tony G had for sale, it is sitting in a garage in Houston awaiting install in a former Rennlisters 89 951. For some reason I cant get the ads to open up today.
Old 01-21-2005, 03:31 PM
Livefreeandrive
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Nope, guy name john is selling it. Looks nice but for same money I can buy a $320 lw flywheel and new clutch kit.

Quick Reply: Cheap Clutch?