Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Turbonetics Experience

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2005, 02:37 PM
J Chen
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The HiFi does not have that kind of effeciency.
Short of the GT series, I don't think that there
any with this kind effeciency. I've seen the HiFi
map before, it's narrow & tall, that why I told
you that it needs 20psi to really wake up. It's
design to do that. Yeah I know, others are
getting power at 18psi but let me ask you this.
At what percentage of effeciency is the compressor
at ? Remenber, the higher the effeciency, the denser
the discharge air (less heat).
Old 01-10-2005, 02:38 PM
hosrom_951
UAE Rennlist Ambassador
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Future upgardes such as headwork, intake manifold etc..........

I asked a similar question regarding injectors and got no replies........

General question, if a 'small' turbocharger could get 350whp at say 19-20psi, would a turbocharger running a different coldside (exact same hotside and turbine trim) capable of 100+whp would require more/less or even the same boost level to achieve 350whp?
Old 01-10-2005, 02:38 PM
Edman951
Pro

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Jchen are you still using the VWsport has a host site?
If yes, you don't have to make a web site. You can just use the links for each picture in the file manager and post the picture one at a time.

No dyno # yet. I wasn't able to get to it before the snow came.
From august to december i move my company (20 000sqft warehouse) and i moved into my new house. So i had no time to play on my car.
Old 01-10-2005, 02:41 PM
hosrom_951
UAE Rennlist Ambassador
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by NZ951
I think TonyG commented that the 60-1 HIFI with the stage 3 wheel and #8 would be good for 450rwhp on the 2.5.

480+whp IF your engine could do it but then we are talking head work, intake manifold and other 'air flowing' improvements for that much, besides, at what boost level as well?

JChen: Turbonetics recommended a MAX of 22psi limit on the 60-1HIFI, and yes i was dumb enough to forget looking at the EFFICIENCY of the turbocharger instead of other factors, again a map of the HIFI would really clear things up here........
Old 01-10-2005, 02:45 PM
TonyG
Rennlist Junkie Forever

>>I think the 60-1 hi-fi is a good turbo. But if you don't plan on passing 400rwhp. You don't need to go that big. Myswiss dynoed 415 rwhp with a full T4 60-1 hi-fi.<

I ran the 60-1HiFi at the 350RWHP mark for a long time... it worked great.

>>If you only plan to go to about 350 rwhp why get a turbo that can make 100 extra hp. You are only making the wheels bigger and reducing the turbo capacity to spool fast and make good low end power.<<

First off... no 951 makes good low end power. That's wishfull thinking. Stick in a V8 if you want low end power.

The turbine is for the most part, what's going to determine where the turbo whips.. very little has to do with the compressor.

I've seen 60-1HiFi's with a KKK #6 turbine setups, that spool real fast. On the other side of the spectrum, I've seen 60-1HiFi's with a T4 turbine that spool up much slower (making great mid/top end power).

But I've seen many 350+RWHP 951's that are running some combo using the 60-1HiFi compressor. Everybody I know that has tried one, loves it (me included).

TonyG
Old 01-10-2005, 02:53 PM
hosrom_951
UAE Rennlist Ambassador
Rennlist Member

Tony,
Do you have or know where one would be able to get their hands on the 60-1HIFI compressor maps????

Secondly, didn't you run the 60-1HIFI with a KKK #8 from Turbonetics or was it from SFR? i understand your e-mail when you mentioned that their single bearing turbo's have 'issues' but what about their BB and you also used the stage 5 AND had a very VERY expensive head work done, or was that without the head work? those ricer's "seem" to like them and you are the only one who had any issues with their single bearing turbos on the 951, while others (2 actually) don't so..........what's your view on the 60-1 HIFI stage 3 turbine #8 BB from Turbonetics? ( i e-mailed you that but again, my e-mail seem's to be funny and not really sending things so you may not have recieved anything, again ).
Old 01-10-2005, 03:24 PM
TonyG
Rennlist Junkie Forever

hosrom_951

>>>Do you have or know where one would be able to get their hands on the 60-1HIFI compressor maps????<<<

No and no. Sorry.

>>>Secondly, didn't you run the 60-1HIFI with a KKK #8 from Turbonetics or was it from SFR?<<<

Yes I ran the 60-1HiFi in various configurations. My first "dabble" with the 60-1HiFi was with the KKK replica (made by Turbonetics) turbine with the stage V wheel (what ever stage V is).

SFR doesn't make turbos (Innovative, Turbonetics, and Garrett do) and neither does any vender here on Rennlist.

>>>you mentioned that their single bearing turbo's have 'issues' but what about their BB<<<

Who is "They"? If you're talking about single BB turbos, that would be Turbonetics.

Dual BB turbos are made by Innovative Turbo (down the street from Turbonetics).

I have had oiling problems (and quite a few other of my friends that live local to me) with the single BB turbos.

Thus far, to my knowledge, nobody that I know running a dual BB turbo (InnovativeTurbo) has had any oiling problems.

>>>you also used the stage 5 AND had a very VERY expensive head work done, or was that without the head work? <<<

I ran the 60-1HiFi, single BB, KKK replica stage 5 turbine on a bone stock long block engine. Made 350+RWHP at around 17psi (don't exactly remember the boost for 100% sure.. but that's my typical dyno run setting on a stock 951).

The cylinder head work, cam, header, and conversion to a T4 turbine all came at the same time about a year after running the stock long block. BTW... the cylinder head work (which was done on a N/A head) used bone stock 951 valves :-)

Then came the intake and throttle body.

>>>those ricer's "seem" to like them ...<<<

The ricers like them because they work real well.

>>>and you are the only one who had any issues with their single bearing turbos on the 951<<<

Huh? I can probably think of about 15 people off the top of my head that have ripped them off their cars and gone either to a dual bb or a conventional beariing setup.

Most recently (December '04) Victor Aranda who purchased my old silver 951 about 5 years ago from me. It had a K27/6 on it. He put on a T04, single bb, KKK replica turbo on it (I don't know the specifics trim sizes).

Guess what? He's now looking for another K27/6 turbo (since he sold his old one). The car smokes. At smokes exactly like my car did, and exactly like my otehr friends that had the single bb turbos. Exact same deal.

>>>what's your view on the 60-1 HIFI stage 3 turbine #8 BB from Turbonetics<<<

I'd use a conventional bearing setup or an Innovative dual bb and a #6 hot side for a car that's driven on the street.

I wouldn't use the Turbonetics single bearing center section because of the problems I've experienced.

The 60-1HiFi is awesome.

The #8 hot side is too laggy for streeet use. (unless you have engine modifications where you will make big top end power... then the trade-off is worth it)

TonyG

Last edited by TonyG; 01-10-2005 at 06:27 PM.
Old 01-10-2005, 06:02 PM
tommo951
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by hosrom_951
Tony,
Do you have or know where one would be able to get their hands on the 60-1HIFI compressor maps????

Secondly, didn't you run the 60-1HIFI with a KKK #8 from Turbonetics or was it from SFR? i understand your e-mail when you mentioned that their single bearing turbo's have 'issues' but what about their BB and you also used the stage 5 AND had a very VERY expensive head work done, or was that without the head work? those ricer's "seem" to like them and you are the only one who had any issues with their single bearing turbos on the 951, while others (2 actually) don't so..........what's your view on the 60-1 HIFI stage 3 turbine #8 BB from Turbonetics? ( i e-mailed you that but again, my e-mail seem's to be funny and not really sending things so you may not have recieved anything, again ).

Horsey,

You wanted a compressor map for a 60:1 ?
Here ya go buddy!

Cheers
Tom
Attached Images  
Old 01-10-2005, 08:09 PM
tazman
Three Wheelin'

I have a wild and crazy idea! Ask Turbonetics for a compressor map for their turbo that you are considering purchasing.
Old 01-10-2005, 08:27 PM
special tool
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Old 01-10-2005, 08:33 PM
Laust Pedersen
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

or just click along on their web-site and this is what comes up.

If you want other maps to compare against then try this reference .
Old 01-10-2005, 08:38 PM
Edman951
Pro

Thats the regular 60-1.
He want the 60-1 hi-fi. Witch is not poplished for some reason.
The best bet is like Tazman said, ask Turbonetics.
Old 01-10-2005, 09:10 PM
J Chen
Drifting

Hi Edman,
Can you help plot my GT25R & post it please.
Plot it at 20 psi & lets see how it looks like.
You can locate the map in ATP Turbos website.

Thanks Edman.
Old 01-10-2005, 10:28 PM
jimbo1111
Banned

Received 37 Likes on 31 Posts

What make you decide on a gt25r? Will you be running high compression?
Old 01-10-2005, 10:39 PM
Edman951
Pro

JChen,
I am sending you an e-mail with it.

Quick Reply: Turbonetics Experience