Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

AVG TIME TO GET GURU PARTS

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-2004, 09:43 PM
jsonnen
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by ztnedman1
.....Im not bashing john at all. Its just a feeling that i think the Guru kit will be easier to work with and install. That doesnt mean im right..... but if im going to spend $1800, im going to go with what makes me feel more comfortable.

MAP sucks............do a search..............
Old 10-06-2004, 09:59 PM
chris951
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I just got my car out of the shop, cause my DME was fried. I suspect from running the map 1 chips without the link computer and the map sensor that i've been waiting for. I guess it's bad to send me half of my parts. Now I'm out roughly $500 dollars for following instructions.
Old 10-07-2004, 12:25 AM
JustinL
Drifting

Received 188 Likes on 104 Posts

Originally Posted by jsonnen
MAP sucks............do a search..............
I disagree. I have a MAP from guru and once it's set up it's good to go. I, ofcourse am only a sample of 1; but after the initial teething problems my car has been great. There are enough of us out there now with MAP kits that we can help you with most of your setup. As a data point, I have no driveability issues and last time on the dyno I made 271RWHP and 305 RWTQ with a stock shimmed wastegate and 16psi peak boost.

I could also just be justifying my purchase to myself

Justin
Old 10-07-2004, 01:18 AM
Jason_86_951
Drifting

Originally Posted by chris951
I just got my car out of the shop, cause my DME was fried. I suspect from running the map 1 chips without the link computer and the map sensor that i've been waiting for. I guess it's bad to send me half of my parts. Now I'm out roughly $500 dollars for following instructions.
I doubt it, I've been running the MAP based chips without the Link/MAP setup for a while. No problems, I unwired the Link box, put the stock AFM back in and have had no issues.
Sometimes 18 year old electronics just die.
Old 10-07-2004, 08:02 AM
NZ951
Race Director

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

I dont know of any aftermarket standalone computer system NOT using MAP. It makes perfect sense to base it on pressure.
Old 10-07-2004, 07:23 PM
toddk911
Drive-by provocation guy
Rennlist Member

How do you run MAP chips with out the MAP? Link?
Old 10-07-2004, 08:20 PM
Jake951
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by toddk911
How do you run MAP chips with out the MAP? Link?
Actually I think you can, up to a point, by just disconnecting the harness to the Link box and reinstalling your stock AFM. Here's my take on things:

The Link MAP box just puts out a simulated AFM signal to the DME in place of a real AFM signal. That signal (and others) are carried on the harness from the Link box to the DME. The DME doesn't know whether the signal is a real AFM signal or a simulated one. Furthermore the chips run pretty close to stock fuel maps at part throttle, I believe. Therefore, as along as the simulated AFM signal matches a real one, at least at part throttle, the MAP chips have the right fuel maps and the DME should be equally happy with a real AFM or the MAP. If the signals don't match, then all bets are off. The differences occur as you go to WOT, where the fuel maps are different and I'm not sure what happens then. It may not be good. There may be some other details involved, but I think that's the general idea.

I know I've connected up my stock AFM and been able to idle and run at low speed with the MAP chips so it does seem to work. At least sort of.

Quick Reply: AVG TIME TO GET GURU PARTS